Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting piece of art for you free reed instrument lovers  (Read 7934 times)

Jake Middleton (brinwins)

• Regular debater
  • Concertina Maker and repairer
    • Wolverton Concertinas
Re: An interesting piece of art for you free reed instrument lovers
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »

that clip is... actually terifying

Pushpull

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »

No wonder piano accordions have a bad reputation.

Matthew B

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 02:41:21 PM »

I would love to play in a group like that :P

Well now Al, if I recall correctly from some of your earlier posts, you've already got the hat with the red stripe, you've already got the squeezebox . . . all you need is the army, the dictator, and perhaps a little personal re-purposing, and you're good to go.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

HallelujahAl

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 04:29:14 PM »

all you need is the army, the dictator, and perhaps a little personal re-purposing, and you're good to go.

Good one! However, my particular organisation is better known for brass banding, something I personally can't stand. An opinion that has got me into trouble a few times. Seriously wouldn't mind playing in an accordion band though. As to needing 'personal re-purposing'...hum...I'll have to get back to you about that one but this thread is straying enough already...from Art to Politics...whatever you do don't accuse me of bringing Religion into it ;D

Blessings! AL

EeeJay

• Old Grey Paolo
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 11:12:38 PM »

Good one! However, my particular organisation is better known for brass banding, something I personally can't stand.

Tut tut... ::) I'm sending these guys round to do the re-purposing... ;D

...the buttock clenching title clinches it - My Country Is So Nice. ::) Pass the sick bucket...

On that poster's channel there is worse... the radio broadcasts are utterly baffling... close to Orwellian newspeak... Creepy thing is, you sometimes think it's a spoof... and then reality kicks in... an ugly reminder of how eastern Europe was nigh on 20 years back... Ceausescu in particular... nasty piece of work...

Ed J
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 12:03:57 AM by EeeJay »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 09:04:58 AM »

Tut tut...  I'm sending these guys round to do the re-purposing...

In that case - God help me!  :o
AL

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 10:52:06 PM »

It'd be an interesting box to play though...
Has anyone on the forum got very large hands  ???

Yes, but not that large :P We'd have to have a team of players on stepladders, similar to this "sub-contrabass saxophone"

FYI that was a fake instrument made for publicity purposes, not a real one.

This is as big as real saxes ever got...

http://www.nuclearwhales.com/

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »

It'd be an interesting box to play though...
Has anyone on the forum got very large hands  ???

Yes, but not that large :P We'd have to have a team of players on stepladders, similar to this "sub-contrabass saxophone"

Ian

I am aware of that, as it happens. There have been several such stunt saxes.

And although the contrabass is the biggest that has ever been produced it is not the lowest. The tubax in BBb holds that honour (assuming that you class it amongst the saxophones and not in a class of it's own)

http://www.eppelsheim.com/tubax_bb.php?lang=en
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 12:46:40 AM »

Ian

I am aware of that, as it happens. There have been several such stunt saxes.

And although the contrabass is the biggest that has ever been produced it is not the lowest. The tubax in BBb holds that honour (assuming that you class it amongst the saxophones and not in a class of it's own)

http://www.eppelsheim.com/tubax_bb.php?lang=en

Yes I know about the Tubax, I nearly bought one for my wife as a silver wedding present -- then I found out how much they cost, so she got one of these instead :-)

http://www.saxophones.co.uk/SC9937.htm

Ian
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:56:40 AM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

mrjulian

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »

Yes I know about the Tubax, I nearly bought one for my wife as a silver wedding present
It's my wedding anniversary coming up soon - would you consider buying me a tubax?   >:E :||:
Couple of Hohners, couple of Castagnari, soviet era Bayan, duet concertina and several boxes of bits!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2009, 12:04:02 PM »

Yes I know about the Tubax, I nearly bought one for my wife as a silver wedding present -- then I found out how much they cost, so she got one of these instead :-)

Ian

Yes, the cost is a little prohibitive. And the shipping is immense as well, as they pack it ludicrously thoroughly, meaning that people can barely lift the box...

You didn't consider the soprillo? I'd love one, although I wouldn't be able to play it.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2009, 02:03:46 PM »

A phenomenal display of plumbing.  They are works of art themselves.

Ian is the Yanagisawa SC9937 Soprano Sax your lead sax in Committee Band because that is sweet.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 11:07:19 PM »

Ian

Yes, the cost is a little prohibitive. And the shipping is immense as well, as they pack it ludicrously thoroughly, meaning that people can barely lift the box...

You didn't consider the soprillo? I'd love one, although I wouldn't be able to play it.

Hilda already has a sopranino which is quite high enough, our sound guy refers to it as the weapon of mass destruction...

(mind you, she bought this having gone out intending to buy a bass clarinet :-)

Ian

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2009, 11:14:57 PM »

A phenomenal display of plumbing.  They are works of art themselves.

Ian is the Yanagisawa SC9937 Soprano Sax your lead sax in Committee Band because that is sweet.

It's one of them -- Hilda's still getting used to it since it's in the other key to all her other saxes (baritone/alto/sopranino) so it's only used on a few tunes so far, but the number is increasing -- and it does sound utterly fabulous, makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

The guy at Dawkes where I bought it from had never seen or heard one before (I think it was the only one Yanagisawa UK had in the country) and was completely bowled over by it when he had a go on it to try it out.

Still, it only cost about the same as a pint of beer a week for 25 years, so I guess I can't complain -- even at London beer prices :-)

Ian

P.S. If you have our latest CD "Marvellous" see if you can spot which tracks it's used on -- I can, but then I know what it sounds like close up.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2009, 11:54:46 PM »

Ian

Hilda already has a sopranino which is quite high enough, our sound guy refers to it as the weapon of mass destruction...

(mind you, she bought this having gone out intending to buy a bass clarinet :-)

Ian

But you could still go higher :D

It'd take one hell of lip to do it of course. I still don't think that there's anything to match a soprano played well. There is also very little worse than a soprano played badly, but such is life. I heard the committee band years and years ago. I don't remember much about you (no offence, I was just starting out on the box then) but I was struck very much by your wife's playing.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal