Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sticky keys and bar stuck :c  (Read 5314 times)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Sticky keys and bar stuck :c
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 01:08:42 AM »

I had to use the 12v battery method to free the axle rod in an Oakwood. It worked but she was really smokin'!
BTW, I am an electrical engineer so I know exactly how long to hold the jump leads on the melodeon .............. ::)
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 09:08:06 AM »

To emphasis the safety issue - I've just put a couple of extra batteries in a camper van . We used cut up jump leads to connect ; they are rated at 12OA >:E

So do be careful out there. Avoid dead shorts (the rod may be in this category) at all costs
  _       _    _      _ 

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 01:25:08 AM »

Yes, unless experienced with heavy current DC (and how many vehicle techs do you see remove rings or metal watch straps etc before interfering with car electrics these days) this is probably a technique best left alone for a variety of reasons.

This can't be an uncommon problem, I've been scratching my head for a heating solution to suggest as I suspect that there is just not enough exposed rod for conduction from a heavy enough soldering iron to work and had been wondering if there was some mileage in induction heating, we cook by gas so no idea if an induction hob would have enough range to work - anyone have enough experience in this field for an opinion ?

Otherwise my suggestion would be to keep the assembly somewhere very dry, get all the levers moving so that only the fixed blocks are tight and to try and avoid twisting the rod to failure, the bit already out could be extended by MIG or TIG welding. (if steel), so that the extension could be clamped in a vic(s)e to allow 'encouraging' by mallet of the assembly along the rod.

Best of luck
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Yahiko_n_Tsubame

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 05:02:59 AM »

First off, thank you so much for all the replies!   ;D
This was actually my first post on the forum.

Secondly, thinking about heating the rod, I was wondering if I could get the effect I need by turning on the stovetop and pressing the exposed bit against the burner.... would that work?

And finally, I'm glad to see how lively this forum is.
It's kinda of depressing because all the people in my area passionate and non-depressive about accordions are neophytes like me. Well, That parts not depressing, that is is that the older and more experienced folks seem to think that there is no interest in accordions and that it'll die off..... even after I show them lots of modern bands with it.

Anywho, sorry for the offtopic ramblings~

PS - I'll probably keep the battery bit the last option as I'm not experienced with electricity at all~

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »

Hair dryer. ?

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »

Sadly, not hot enough.
 Stay away from batteries and electricity if you know little about it.
I do feel that heat is the answer though. If the rod is brass it is a great conductor of heat but also brittle, be careful when twisting, you don't want a "snapper" maybe two large wattage soldering irons on both ends.
Best of luck!  (:)
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Yahiko_n_Tsubame

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2014, 03:37:18 AM »

Greetings,
So, a few months later, a car battery didn't work as well as I hoped. It did however make it possible to pull out, cm by cm.
I've spent the past month or two pulling at it everyday for about two hours and I've managed to get it 1/3 of the way out (with the occasional frustrating breaking of the bar).

Anyway, now I'm wondering, where do I get a replacement bar once I finish taking this out?

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 01:40:29 PM »

I would think that a model engineers shop would be the place to source a suitable brass rod, although metal factors might have some rods, but possibly not small enough!

All that talk earlier about car batteries made me realise that there is a defibrilator outside the village hall...

Rob.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »

Anyway, now I'm wondering, where do I get a replacement bar once I finish taking this out?
On Emmanuel Pariselle's one-row melodeon making workshops, we use a steel axle which I believe is a similar diameter to the spoke of a bicycle wheel...
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal