Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lawrence Welk on the Melodeon?  (Read 1416 times)

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
Lawrence Welk on the Melodeon?
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:01:09 AM »

I found this picture on Google Images from ndsu.edu.

Quote from: NDSU
This circa 1939 or 1940 photograph at Aberdeen Civic Arena, Brown County, South Dakota: Musician Lawrence Welk was playing his button-accordion. Ervin Bader (nineteen-years of age) stands behind Lawrence, having attended Welk’s wedding dances in Strassburg. Ervin Bader’s older sister Lorraine Bader Kurle is mother to Chuck Kurle. Christian Bader and Wilhelmina Mauch Bader were their parents. Two gentlemen (photo left and right) are unidentified. Photo courtesy of Charles Kurle, with rights to Bowdle, Edmunds County, South Dakota.

I did not know Lawrence Welk ever played the melodeon. I wonder if there are any recordings of him playing the melodeon?  :||:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:02:59 AM by The Happy Wanderer »
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Lawrence Welk on the Melodeon?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »

For any non North Americans here, we should explain that Lawrence Welk was 'Mr Accordion' on USA TV in 50s/60s, a very competent player, famous for AFAIR polkas, (and reputed to have had his smile surgically stitched to each ear) ;)

Not ever heard of him on melodeon. Maybe the extra gents are the North Dakota surgical team testing their stitches? >:E

_       _    _      _ 

JoeCooley

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:16:13 AM »

I used to watch his tv variety show back a few years ago.
He was of Volga German desent.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Welk

AirTime

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:51:57 AM »

For any non North Americans here, we should explain that Lawrence Welk was 'Mr Accordion' on USA TV in 50s/60s

Actually, although it remained an artifact of '50's culture, the Lawrence Welk show continued to run until 1982 & even well after in re-runs.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 02:24:33 AM »

Re-runs are on still on a Saturday 5pm - 6pm on Houston PBS (public broadcasting) here in TX!

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

triskel

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 02:52:38 AM »

Let me quote the man himself:

"Like my good friend Myron Floren, I too was born on a farm and became fascinated by the accordion at a very early age. In fact my earliest clear memory is of crawling across the kitchen floor of our sod farmhouse towards my father, who was playing the push-button accordion he had brought from the old country. I was drawn as if by a magnet, and when he allowed me to press my fingers on a few of the pearl keys, and produce a few wavering notes on my own, I was in heaven!

I practiced on a variety of cheap instruments in my boyhood, but when I was 17 I went into our town of Strasburg, N.D. to hear a famous accordionist of the day, Tom Gutenburg. He had the first piano accordion I had ever seen, and when I heard him play I knew I had to have one just like it."

Lawrence Welk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal