Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Microphones for boxes  (Read 18448 times)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
Re: Microphones for boxes
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

Would it be possible to have a resource somewhere (a couple of threads?) Of each system everyone uses with the pro's and con's to the system?

Like:
i use microvox.
Pro: it dosnt break very easy, it is no hassle to switch between boxes, feedback is virtually non-existant.
Con: i am quite happy with the sound, though there are better options.

I used some AKG swannecks. Sound is quite ok (perhaps better then microvox), but the necks keep breaking on me.
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2014, 04:45:59 PM »

Those Ovid bits look promising, but the problem with melodeons is there's really nothing to attach anything to.
Small threaded bushes of the sort you find for anchoring straps to concertinas would be useful, but I think if I asked Steve Dickinson to make me a couple for my melodeon his response would be robust and unrepeatable.
[/quote] 

They are available at concertina-spares.com     http://www.concertina-spares.com/catalogue7b.htm

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

Small threaded bushes of the sort you find for anchoring straps to concertinas would be useful
They are available at concertina-spares.com     http://www.concertina-spares.com/catalogue7b.htm

Thanks, that's useful to know. I found an assortment of other threaded inserts elsewhere which might work with a suitable screw, but for rapid transfer from one box to another the thumbscrew system might be slow.

I'm just wondering if Flush mounts would be the answer.  The right way up, they wouldn't fall off but they'd be very quick to lift off and drop in place. They don't seem to be available in that design at a smaller size, which would be ideal.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

CraggBox

• New Starter
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »

I'm quite new to melodeons and microphones, but I know through experience that I want clip ons. Does anybody have any experience with AKG C516? especially for the treble side. A sound tech I know said they would be fine, and turned me away from audio technica pro35cw as they have the 4 pin plug as opposed to XLRs. With the C516, do you just plug straight in to the desk via an XLR extension, or does it need to go to a phantom power unit (out of my depth here!). Regarding attachments...I have read about removing the metal grill to clip the treble mic onto the side of which seemed a good idea. Neodymium magnets are interesting, though I can't find any threads regarding this and I would prob buy a magnet which is too powerful and I'm reluctant to drill a hole. Clipping a gooseneck to the bass strap seems a bit dodgy. Any thoughts? Apologies if i'm covering old ground.

Cheers Marc

Howard Jones

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »

The C516 is a good mic (and a lot more robust than its predecessor). AKG say it is designed for accordions.  I've used one for a while and had no problems with it.  It has 3-pin mini-xlrs, but in any event it needs power, which you'll have to buy separately. You can't plug it straight into the desk. The B29L is a battery pack which has 2 controllable inputs and a single XLR output so you can use the same one for 2 mics, or there is a phantom power adaptor which will take power off the desk, but if you have 2 mics for bass and treble you'll need one each of these.  However this will allow the sound engineer to EQ bass and treble separately. 

it doesn't clip on, it slots into a mounting plate, which can be attached using adhesive pads or sticky putty (supplied) or if your box is as old and battered as mine you can screw into place.

The clip-on version is the C519.  They say it is for wind and drums, but it's the same mic as the response graph and cardiod patterns show.

I've always clipped bass-end mics to the bass strap without any problems (not the AKG though, I use the Thomann CC75)  For the treble end I think the mounting plate offers more options, although it may depend on what clipping opportunities your box offers.  Think very carefully before deciding which mounting to go for, as they're not interchangeable. 

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2015, 02:07:35 PM »

For the treble end I think the mounting plate offers more options, although it may depend on what clipping opportunities your box offers.  Think very carefully before deciding which mounting to go for, as they're not interchangeable.

But worth noting that you can buy extra mounting plates, enabling you to transfer the mic between boxes quite easily.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Howard Jones

« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »

Yes you can get additional mounting plates (and why don't AKG supply more than one in the first place?).  However what I meant was that once you've decided to go with one type of mount you're stuck with it, so consider very carefully how and where you intend to attach the mic before choosing between the plate and clip version.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2015, 03:55:39 PM »

I'm quite new to melodeons and microphones, but I know through experience that I want clip ons. Does anybody have any experience with AKG C516? especially for the treble side. A sound tech I know said they would be fine, and turned me away from audio technica pro35cw as they have the 4 pin plug as opposed to XLRs. With the C516, do you just plug straight in to the desk via an XLR extension, or does it need to go to a phantom power unit (out of my depth here!). Regarding attachments...I have read about removing the metal grill to clip the treble mic onto the side of which seemed a good idea. Neodymium magnets are interesting, though I can't find any threads regarding this and I would prob buy a magnet which is too powerful and I'm reluctant to drill a hole. Clipping a gooseneck to the bass strap seems a bit dodgy. Any thoughts? Apologies if i'm covering old ground.

Cheers Marc
You might be interested to read my entry on page 1 of this same thread.  Could send you a picture  of it if you want.
Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal