Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to make a youtube clip ?  (Read 2586 times)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
How to make a youtube clip ?
« on: March 30, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »

I really enjoy "seeing and hearing" in addition to reading about tunes and instruments.
Youtube clips are great for this but - how  ???

Would one of our knowledgeable guru's write a short 'how to article' on this subject.

If it's already been done, has anyone got the link ?
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: How to make a youtube clip ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 09:14:45 AM »

Do you want the short or long answer? ;)
Short answer for now.....All you need to do is sign up for an account. Film yourself on camera playing then click 'upload' and fill in the relevent details. And voila you have a youtube video.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »

Whilst I agree that the process of registering and uploading with YouTube is certainly very simple - just go to the site and follow the instructions - the process prior to that is perhaps worth expanding on.  Obviously, the exact route you'll take will depend on your camera, your computer's operating system and which software you choose to use.  However, whichever path you choose, you probably won't want to be uploading a huge .avi file (I'm not even sure it'll even allow you to), so you'll probably need to convert/compress your file to something more suitable first.  I convert mine to MPEG4s, but the YouTube site says MPEG2s and H.264 are also fine.  To achieve this conversion, you may find your photo editing software does it fine, but I've had better luck using something called Streamclip, which you can download free from (http://www.squared5.com/).  YouTube itself, once you're logged in, gives guidance on how best to configure such a conversion, so that it makes best use of widescreen or HD options.

One additional and inexpensive tool I use is ScenalyzerLive, a video capture program that simply takes the feed from your camera and save it as .avi files.  Again, photo editing software can do this too, but Scenalyzer seems less prone to problems and, from what little experience I have, is nicer to use.  The site for that is at http://scenalyzer.com/main.html and there's a trial version to have a go with first.

Hope this helps.

Guy
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 02:11:42 PM »

Whilst I agree that the process of registering and uploading with YouTube is certainly very simple - just go to the site and follow the instructions - the process prior to that is perhaps worth expanding on.  Obviously, the exact route you'll take will depend on your camera, your computer's operating system and which software you choose to use. 
Ah yes that is a point. what computer have you got....I have a macbook with built in webcam which makes things easy but you could purchse something like a Casio EX-Z80 (yes that's my camera I take everywhere) it has 'youtube video' mode. Which means all the video taken is the right format to be uploaded to youtube. It even limits your recording time to the time youtube will allow for a video.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 03:10:07 PM »

It even limits your recording time to the time youtube will allow for a video.
Great info everyone, many thanks.  It is even things like the above.  What is the time limit ?  Perhaps this appears when you go to upload.

So first things first, a camera.  Sound quality ?  My little Canon Ixus 50 will take a limited video but I have no idea if the sound would be any good.  Somehow I doubt it.   I have recording quality equipment but can that be synced with video ?  It may seem naive but to those who are familiar it is easy and to those who have never done it before the devil hides in the detail  >:E .  As ladydetemps says my mac does it for me.  Lesser mortals will have to record, upload to the computer, edit and post.  Previous painful experience tells me there will be all sorts of compatability issues.  Thanks Guy for your detailed process, your results speak for themselves.

I would like to hear from anyone who's attempts went spectacularly wrong and how the rest of us may avoid such errors in the future plus any other tips to get the best from the medium.  I see HD is available to the viewer but it has to be there from the start.  Is sound quality also a variable ?  I'm sure there are other things I have mised.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »

It even limits your recording time to the time youtube will allow for a video.
Great info everyone, many thanks.  It is even things like the above.  What is the time limit ?  Perhaps this appears when you go to upload.
my camera manual tells me10 mins (even has a countdown in the corner)...which can sometimes be annoying if you want to record something longer than 10mins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal