Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for September 2014: Show us all your melodeons!  (Read 16517 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Theme of the Month for September 2014: Show us all your melodeons!
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2014, 08:51:49 PM »

Here is a short clip from the latest addition.
This is formerly Nick CB's Chanson with the stretched bellows and Martyn White conversion to Hohner reeds. Not looked inside yet, or really got to grips with it (as you'll see - had it less than a week) but it is massively more playable than the Chinese version.  :||:

Not being a one-row player, Capt Lanoe is the first tune I could think of that didn't require an E.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »

OK.

What were you playing Mike?
It is a Castagnari Laura DG, which I have had for a couple of years now. Tuned and made more playable by Theo.  I am very happy with it, especially now the bellows are played in more or less!
I am resisting MAD at the moment but can feel early signs..
Mike 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2014, 11:05:57 AM »

I've been playing with iMovie

http://youtu.be/vSNLx6qoD98

Hohner/Bailey Pokerlily
Hohner Erica D/G
Hohner Pre-pokerwork G/C
Hohner 1 Row 4 Stop G

AirTime

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2014, 03:49:02 PM »

Nice idea Lester!  (:)
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2014, 04:10:41 PM »

Nice idea Lester!  (:)
Yep. Very together! Makes me think a little of the New Rope String Band...will the four Lesters  now interact?
Mike

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2014, 05:58:46 PM »

As long as they don't interbreed  ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2014, 11:04:46 PM »

I've been playing with iMovie

Impressive, what a clever idea!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2014, 07:52:35 AM »

Very nicely done indeed, but showing the boxes one after the other is still a better way to demonstrate what each one actually sounds like.

I'm up to my ears in editing Mardles in all my spare time at the moment, but I want to have a go at this.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »

I couldn't think what tune to play for this theme and then I suddenly thought I'll use the TOTM and kill two birds with one stone or two tunes with one vid, so here's William and Nancy played on my 5 boxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3YwxqGGX6M
The 5 boxes are:
Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C made in Germany a few years back but still with new stiff bellows acquired from Martyn White a few months ago.
Saltarelle Pastourelle III D/G - acquired from the Music Room in about 2002 one treble reed and bass notes out on LH at 30secs, 2 treble reeds and full basses at 59 secs and all 3 treble reeds at 1min29secs.
C/F vintage Hohner acquired from Theo a year or two back at 1min57secs.
Hohner Pressed Wood D/G - custom restored for me by Mike Rowbotham at 2mins26secs, the first box I usually reach for these days.
Saltarelle L'Elfique D/G - from Eagle Music - 2 treble reeds in at 2mins54secs and all treble reeds in at 3mins23secs. I'd use this on the rare occasion I've to play box for our dance band.
Unfortunately I traded my original 1970s Hohner pokerwork in for the PIII - wish I hadn't!

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »

14 or 15.....my contribution is coming soon, possibly minus the Geipel as that is being Theoed. Unless I pick a tune that has already been Geipled......Wooden Heart  (:)
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:50 AM »

I couldn't think what tune to play for this theme and then I suddenly thought I'll use the TOTM and kill two birds with one stone or two tunes with one vid, so here's William and Nancy played on my 5 boxes.
Excellent as always.  I envy the positive, confident way you play.  Yes, that Pressed Wood is lovely!  Thanks for posting.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »

Thank you Les - you're most kind. I've just watched your video - I usually try to avoid watching other people's before I post if I'm contributing. Which is the favourite of your boxes? I don't want to encourage more 'mad-ness' on your part but I was slightly surprised not to see a 'standard' type 3 voice two row - I might have got that wrong though. My playing's not as confident as you suggest - I tend to concentrate for short periods on a single tune or pair, especially for TOTM or ThOTM. I'm not so keen on sessions so I don't tend to keep my repertoire up to performance standard. I also make life easier for myself than you in that all my boxes are essentially similar 'types' apart maybe from the recently acquired one row which feels like playing a different instrument altogether!  Keep up the good work with your postings and blogs. (:) :||: (:)

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2014, 01:37:54 PM »

Excellent as always.  I envy the positive, confident way you play.  Yes, that Pressed Wood is lovely!  Thanks for posting.
Likewise.
Mike

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »

Thank you Les - you're most kind. I've just watched your video - I usually try to avoid watching other people's before I post if I'm contributing. Which is the favourite of your boxes? I don't want to encourage more 'mad-ness' on your part but I was slightly surprised not to see a 'standard' type 3 voice two row - I might have got that wrong though. My playing's not as confident as you suggest - I tend to concentrate for short periods on a single tune or pair, especially for TOTM or ThOTM. I'm not so keen on sessions so I don't tend to keep my repertoire up to performance standard. I also make life easier for myself than you in that all my boxes are essentially similar 'types' apart maybe from the recently acquired one row which feels like playing a different instrument altogether!  Keep up the good work with your postings and blogs. (:) :||: (:)

You're right, I don't own a three voice/two row.  Oh well, there's always Christmas!  I too work on a couple of pieces at a time.   Thank you, as always, for your encouragement and yes I will keep on with the blogs.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Grape Ape

« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »

Oysterboy, that Swedish waltz is my new earworm and I am happy to have it! Very nicely played!

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »

Here are my melodeons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05qzgYZBQKY to the White Joak.

1) [start] Hohner Erika D/G.  Recently acquired from another melnet member and converted to 12-bass by Mike Rowbotham.  On the video I am playing right-hand only as the LHS (bass/chord) reed blocks are at Mike's for some small adjustments.

2) [0:57] Hohner Club I Bb/Eb.  Purchased on German eBay and restored by Martyn White.  My favourite and most played box.

3) [1:50] Castagnari Sander D/G.  Long term loan from my father.  The box that I started on.

4) [2:39] Hohner Liliput D/G.  Purchased on German eBay and restored/converted to D/G by Mike Rowbotham.

5) [3:35] Hohner Preciosa C/F.  Purchased on German eBay and restored by Mike Rowbotham.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:27:33 PM by Bavarian Pete »

pikey

• Thread mod
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »

Like  (:)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:30 PM »

Like  (:)

Indeed! This topic is doing my MAD no good whatsoever! Pikey, can we expect a mega collection from yourself this month?

arty

« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »

I just wanted to say thank you to Clive for this really interesting Theme of the Month. I have really enjoyed listening to all the different boxes, quite educational for me at least.

If nothing else, it has made me feel really content with the two boxes I have and certainly hasn't caused me to enter the Mad world some have to live in. I have just ordered one more box from Mike Rowbotham and that will be me forever.  ;) Ha Ha!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2014, 12:15:43 AM »

I'm up to my ears in editing Mardles in all my spare time at the moment, but I want to have a go at this.

And just in time. The Sloe, on 13 different melodeons:
http://youtu.be/m9BLKuVELBA
(when it gets through the processing queue; YouTube says it's taking longer than expected)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal