Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for September 2014: Show us all your melodeons!  (Read 16518 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Theme of the Month for September 2014: Show us all your melodeons!
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2014, 09:06:17 AM »

I just wanted to say thank you to Clive for this really interesting Theme of the Month. I have really enjoyed listening to all the different boxes, quite educational for me at least.

If nothing else, it has made me feel really content with the two boxes I have and certainly hasn't caused me to enter the Mad world some have to live in. I have just ordered one more box from Mike Rowbotham and that will be me forever.  ;) Ha Ha!

You're welcome :-) I'm having a lot of fun lusting over all these wonderful boxes; a very financially dangerous time!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »

I'm up to my ears in editing Mardles in all my spare time at the moment, but I want to have a go at this.

And just in time. The Sloe, on 13 different melodeons:
http://youtu.be/m9BLKuVELBA
(when it gets through the processing queue; YouTube says it's taking longer than expected)

That's pretty great. That Albrecht looks/sounds lovely...

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »

Wow Anahata that's fantastic stuff. :-*
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »

Well that's the last time I play three different diatonic systems one after the other. 

I don't know how to join videos together so I've done it as a playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?action_edit=1&list=PLKChjFN3T_GsnEKyhY40FPvKc1a3QRzwn
I hope that works for anyone who does try to listen.

Boorinwood one row four stop in D: my first diatonic I think this sounds OK, but I find it hard work and personally if anyone was thinking of paying full price for one I would recommend a second hand Hohner one row instead.  For some reason the basses have been put in back to front.

La Vera BCC# (LMM)  There is a loss of sound quality on uploading to YouTube so it doesn't quite show how lovely and old fashioned this sounds, warm and metallic with a built in echo.  The bellows are sound but there is some air loss from the left hand keyboard in particular, that's my excuse for why I suddenly have to grab at it.  I'm not yet at a stage where I can learn a tune fast, hence playing in C# on this video.  And the reason not to play in C# apart from it being a stupid key, is that you can't reach the air button from down their.  Lovely 1930s box though and one day I'll spend some money on it.

Giustozzi 61A (LMM).  My favourite.

penn

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:38 PM »

as previously I've left it really late and the production is somewhat.... rushed.

I present this as an antidote to the other videos which have been making you sick with lust for melodeons – this is what happens when MAD goes wrong. Here I present my collection, warts and all, so that when you see that 1930's Hohner on ebay.de with ten seconds left and only €90 bid you know what you are letting yourself in for.
This was more of a struggle than I'd imagined and there are edits where there shouldn’t be edits. I didn't expect to have the fight the Sterling into submission, though he wouldn't give up and held onto my thumb to the death.

The Princess Royal on:-

0:00 - 50's/60's Hohner Erica in D/G - my first, bought from Theo. Sound investment.
0:30 - Falcon Cajun 4 stop (unknown - surely Chinese) in C - ebay mistake
1:00 - 30's White Hohner in G/C – from Lars of this parish
1:30 - Hohner Liliput in Bb/Eb – ebay, tuned by Martyn White
2:00 - Hohner Club II B in C/F – ebay tuned by Martyn White
2:30 - 30's/40's Hohner Erika around about C/F - partially restored (but not yet tuned) by me
3:00 - 20's Koch in nearly D – bass end is out for a good clean up, right side unrestored
3:30 - 1912 Sterling Melodeon in approximately A - unrestored and with permanent bass.

http://youtu.be/BtaX-ky7EZU
I'm posting now but I fear I'm cheating as the upload says 105 mins (105mins???) and so will not beat Clive's closing of the door.
Steve

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »

Just made it eh?  ;D As ever late submissions always welcome ; just stick them onthe end here.

James R

• Mengascini D303
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2014, 06:50:45 AM »

http://youtu.be/1kr7tX8Y4M0

Left it a tad late. Wonderful tune by Andy Cutting, he taught it to us at Burwell this year. Rushed (i.e. full of mistakes) but hopefully gives you an idea of my wonderful Serenellini 233 which was recently swing tuned along with a few other modifications/repairs by Theo Gibb.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal