Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switchable D/G  (Read 5352 times)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Switchable D/G
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 11:00:46 AM »

Here's a link to my Castagnari Hascy demo video showing the operation of the switches:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-3F6EJv42k&list=UUlEd4WAGjXHtmsaGWh9uT6Q

I have two of these instruments in stock.
www.melodeons.com
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 11:47:15 AM »

The Saltarelle Nuage has a separate right hand stop for each (LMM) voice, plus a left hand stop for the low bass reed and another for the third in the chords. I think that the Saltarelle Pastourelles and Connemaras are similarly equipped.

I can confirm that for the Connemara III. I don't have it any more, but it was a fabulous resource in the studio for adding colours to a mix, and the single reeds (both H and L) were great for accompanying songs.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »

......but perhaps I need to use the L reed and go up the keyboard more.... hadn't thought of that in such a setting!
Q
Definitely - it's part of what makes a LMM in D/G so worthwhile having. As for playing in the upper octave of the keyboard, if you never do it, you're only playing half your instrument. You've paid for all those reeds and buttons so it makes sense to use them!  ;D
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 12:23:12 PM »

The music room has a Castagnari Trilly which has couplers to give lots of combinations. Very nice instrument indeed.

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk/product_info.php/cPath/244_249_486/products_id/5756
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »

Steve - I tend to go the keyboard for things like some of Andy Cutting's tunes, not the bog standard English repertoire. It never occurred to be.
I feel a light bulb coming on........
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »

Well I have done a fair bit of thinking, and a little research, and I have more or less decided , that a Castagnari Hascy, (How do you pronounce it?) would meet my requirements. Unfortunately not been able to actually play one, but looking at the video on Rees' page, (Plus others) it sounds good to me.  I like a 4th button start, and it looks to be available as either 3rd or 4th start.
Rees' price is good too, but still unaffordable at the moment. I will reluctantly have to part with my Alex (I shall miss the farty bass),and at least one other box, to help pay for it. So it's decisions decisions time now (or soonish ;) )
Let me know if you see a decent one for sale second-hand. D/G.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »

Well I have done a fair bit of thinking, and a little research, and I have more or less decided , that a Castagnari Hascy, (How do you pronounce it?) would meet my requirements. Unfortunately not been able to actually play one, but looking at the video on Rees' page, (Plus others) it sounds good to me.  I like a 4th button start, and it looks to be available as either 3rd or 4th start.
Rees' price is good too, but still unaffordable at the moment. I will reluctantly have to part with my Alex (I shall miss the farty bass),and at least one other box, to help pay for it. So it's decisions decisions time now (or soonish ;) )
Let me know if you see a decent one for sale second-hand. D/G.

John
The Hascy is a great instrument, probably one of the very best 2-row 3-voice instruments around, and with the grille switches within easy thumb-flick distance, it's very handy for changing the voicing in mid-tune tune. I love mine!
Rees tells me it's pronounced 'Ashy'.

Yes - there is a 4th-button start instrument currently available on Rees's website. I am convinced that it is far better to have a 4th button start instrument with appropriately-sized reed blocks made and set up as such by Castagnari right from the beginning, rather than have a 3rd button start box converted to 4th button start at a later time. The latter often necessitates alterations of reed block chamber size to accommodate the longer reed plates and I think the resulting sound is never quite as good.

The one which Rees is selling is definitely at a very good competitive price. Go for it if you possibly can, while you have the chance (I had to wait 16 months for mine). Sell the kids or something...   :o

Second-hand Hascys are as rare as rocking horse s...t.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »

Absolutely agree with Steve. Great instrument.
( Didn't know it was 'Ashy' though, I live and learn! )
If you're anywhere near Devon, I can let you have a twiddle whilst drinking numerous cups of tea!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »

Couldn't be much further from Devon, and still be on the UK mainland mate.
Thanks for the offer though; especially the tea ;)
I live 60 miles north of Inverness, among the PA clan.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »

Ahhhh..... yes it might be a bit of a trip (!)
oh well, the offer's there should you venture south.
Good luck with the quest.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal