Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokerwork metal corners. First post here from complete tyro so please be gentle!  (Read 6291 times)

Steve

Hello. I have come by a honey coloured pressed wood C/F Pokerwork in fair condition all bar a couple of issues, one being some unsightly pitting to the box metal corner brackets. I would therefore like to know if these are removable / replaceable and if so who can supply. The box seems to play ok although the reeds (they're all H marked) on the C row are a bit sick, advice as to sources for replacements welcome.

press on regardless

Hello. I have come by a honey coloured pressed wood C/F Pokerwork in fair condition all bar a couple of issues, one being some unsightly pitting to the box metal corner brackets. I would therefore like to know if these are removable / replaceable and if so who can supply. The box seems to play ok although the reeds (they're all H marked) on the C row are a bit sick, advice as to sources for replacements welcome.

Hi Steve, best of luck with the box. I had one a while ago and the corner pieces were similarly pitted but under the plating they were brass. So I rubbed off the plating first with 800 wet and dry, then 1000, then polished them up with Brasso. Not an authentic restoration but really looked well with the presswood body, an improvement to my eye.
cheers Paul 

Steve

Hi Paul, Thanks for the quick response. No such luck with this one I'm afraid, they are definitely steel.

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives

I have a feeling that Theo of this forum may be able to help you with the corners. He had some a while back for one-row hohners, maybe he'll have new shiny pokerowrk ones too!
Faversham, Kent

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Pip is quite correct I do have some of these metal corners.  They can be very tight and tricky to remove, especially if there is some corrosion on the inside surface where it contacts the wood. 

It is rare that reeds on these old boxes need to be replaced, usually they need a good clean, new valves and fresh wax, then they are ready for a couple of decades of reliable playing.  If any are broken I have spares.  Its usually best to do all the reeds at the same time, if you just do one row so it plays well you will then notice the problems with the others!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve

Hi Pip, Theo, Many thanks for the replies. Theo, I'll drop you a line now.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 08:45:40 PM by Steve »

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)

WELCOME TO MELODEON.NET!!!!!!
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Andy

melodeon

Welcome

Honey's are my favorite  Pokerworks

Does yours have the honey colored fingerboard or black?

I used to get the corners from Hohner

I have been sucessful in prising them off... but take care the wood is soft

Steve

WELCOME TO MELODEON.NET!!!!!!
 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
-Andy

Many thanks!  ;D

Steve

Welcome

Honey's are my favorite  Pokerworks

Does yours have the honey colored fingerboard or black?

I used to get the corners from Hohner

I have been sucessful in prising them off... but take care the wood is soft

This one has a honey coloured fingerboard which seems to have seen a fair amount of use in the past.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal