Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bb/Eb to A/D?  (Read 2201 times)

waltzman

Bb/Eb to A/D?
« on: April 02, 2009, 01:05:10 AM »

Does anyone here have any experience retuning a Bb/Eb club system to an A/D?  I would think this would be a very versatile instrument for playing tunes in the key of D and a much easier retune than C/F to D/G.  Am I way off base here?

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
Re: Bb/Eb to A/D?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 05:33:22 AM »

Does anyone here have any experience retuning a Bb/Eb club system to an A/D?  I would think this would be a very versatile instrument for playing tunes in the key of D and a much easier retune than C/F to D/G.  Am I way off base here? 

Do you mean keeping the "club" system, or going from Bb/Eb club to A/D "declubbed"? 

A half-step is a considerable re-tune but probably liveable on most quality reeds.  "Declubbing" is a little more involved.

BH (also) NC USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »

Since it is a semitone down this can be done by loading the reed tips to drop the pitch.  I tried one recently that had been retuned like this and the reed response was not compromised.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

waltzman

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:41 PM »

Do you mean keeping the "club" system, or going from Bb/Eb club to A/D "declubbed"? 

A half-step is a considerable re-tune but probably liveable on most quality reeds.  "Declubbing" is a little more involved.

BH (also) NC USA

Even if it were not "declubbed" it would still be a very useful instrument for playing in the common keys of D,G, and A.  There seem to be so many of these used clubs available.  I'm just looking for ways to 'recycle' them.

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 01:30:20 PM »

Since it is a semitone down this can be done by loading the reed tips to drop the pitch.  I tried one recently that had been retuned like this and the reed response was not compromised. 

Theo, we've all read about filing the tips of a reed to raise its pitch but exactly how does a tuner "load the reed tips" to drop the pitch?  (Not that I'm going to try "brain surgery at home" on any instrument that I care about but it would be nice to know in a theoretical way.)

BH NC USA
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 03:03:05 PM »

With solder.  The reed tip has to be filed or sanded first of course to make the metal clean enough for the solder to take, then I just use standard flux cored solder as used for electronics.  Once cool, wipe of excess flux and file the solder away to get the correct pitch.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal