Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strap bracket for 1920/1930 Hohner  (Read 1995 times)

itsabagel

Strap bracket for 1920/1930 Hohner
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:21:00 PM »

Hi,

I've an old Hohner I trying to restore to playing again but I've a question about the strap bracket.

The accordion has rivets for a thumb strap (and there's no bevel in the keyboard for your thumb). There was a bracket (the one in the photo) on the top for a strap, but the other side of the strap was just crudely screwed in with a huge screw at the bottom of the accordion, so I'm trying to work out the best thing to do with it.

Am I right in presuming that these boxes were made to be played without straps originally, so the bracket that was on it has been added much later? Is there any site where I could get strap brackets for the top and bottom that wouldn't look totally out of place?

If it was a melodeon, I'd have no problem just playing it with the thumbstrap, but since it's a three-row I wouldn't manage without straps!

MartinW

• Regular debater
Re: Strap bracket for 1920/1930 Hohner
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:10 PM »

With most things melodeon or accordion related, Charlie Marshal is probably the first place to look. http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk

Martin

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »

I've come across that design of bracket on several old Hohners of various sizes and denominations, but always in the conventional place on top & bottom. I've no idea whether they're still available, or even if they're a Hohner original factory part, but CGM would certainly be the place to start. I thought I might have a couple,in my odds & sods box, but unfortunately I haven't.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

itsabagel

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:22:48 PM »

I found another post with a very similar box. My box has rounded corners without the hohner emblem, though, not square ones with it.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,15274.0.html

Looks like that one has the same bracket on the top, but a kind of a swivel bracket or carabiner thing on the bottom that only takes a single screw.

At least now I know the kind of thing I'm looking out for.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 08:00:23 PM »

You could duplicate that by using a stainless steel split pin, of the appropriate size, and a washer. Then open it out inside the box, and use a stainless steel split ring to attach the strap.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

itsabagel

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »

Perfect. Will do that. Thanks again.

A.J. Walker

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:29:46 PM »

Hey! That's my box. The top has the same bracket as yours. What was rigged up for the bottom was a cotter pin going through a washer and into a hole, and the cotter pin legs spread to hold it in. A made up strap had a split key-ring glued in the end and attached to the cotter pin. I've bought some modern strap brackets and will use them. I may have seen that old bracket style online somewhere............

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »

Can I suggest you also fit a washer inside the box so the split pin doesn't become a 'split box' pin  ;)
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

itsabagel

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:56:17 AM »

Will do! Ordered a cotter pin a few washers there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal