Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: new style vs old repertoire. ..  (Read 3260 times)

robotmay

Re: new style vs old repertoire. ..
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 08:58:24 AM »

There will always be a tension in folk music between tradition bearing and self expression, and in the latter we will generally make different choices from Grandpa? But therein, the fun?

There's certainly lots of fun to be had by winding up traditionalists on thesession.org >:E

I'm generally of the opinion that you can do whatever you like with any music you like, and others can either like it or not; there's no need to fight about it. Obviously maintaining traditions is important, but new traditions and styles are just as important if you want the old music to survive. I especially like hearing tunes being played by people of different nationalities to the tune's origin
(e.g. Remco Sietsema playing Princess Royal), they often bring something unique to a tune which has been played millions of times.

And yeah there's definitely something to be said for being able to play in a variety of styles; I already get confused enough by similar sounding tunes that there's no need to play everything the same way ;D

george garside

Re: new style vs old repertoire. ..
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 09:27:03 AM »

whilst I don't disagree with most of  whats been said about  new arrangements of old tunes  I do draw   the line at  re arranging to the point where the  tune becomes unrecognisable.

If one has a desire to arse about to that degree  why not  use your talent to the full and  think up a completely new tune to add to the tradition - after all that's what  'grandad' must have done!

george ;)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 09:31:58 AM by george garside »
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal