Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with a melodeon identification  (Read 1157 times)

wintersdoor

• New Starter
Help with a melodeon identification
« on: September 17, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »

This is my first post.  I'm an avid ITM player (my main instrument is the tin whistle) but I just found this single-row melodeon the other day which belonged to either my grandfather or great-grandfather.  I was thinking it would be fun to start playing some Irish tunes on it, but I don't know much yet about melodeons and was hoping some of you could help me identify what I've got here and its approximate age and playability.  I've attached several photos.  Thanks much for your help!

triskel

Re: Help with a melodeon identification
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:17:10 PM »

It was made in the 1920s by Koch (Hohner's rivals in the town of Trossingen) for Montgomery Ward.

I have a very similar one, which has been tuned and overhauled, that plays very nicely indeed - perhaps even better than a Hohner?

wintersdoor

• New Starter
Re: Help with a melodeon identification
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:11:20 AM »

Many thanks - that helps a lot!  I'm glad to hear your similar melodeon has held up and plays nicely.  I'll inquire about getting this one tuned and overhauled as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal