Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden attack of useless playing - comparatively speaking  (Read 14637 times)

HallelujahAl

Re: Sudden attack of useless playing - comparatively speaking
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »

I never let my brain get involved.  The tunes are in my fingers not my head.  If I'm are thinking of what button comes next, it's generally the wrong one.

Quite right - I'm a great believer in Brainless Melodeon Playing! I do also endeavour to bring the same philosophy to my golf game - alas, without the same measure of success :'(
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 08:25:02 PM »

I never let my brain get involved.  The tunes are in my fingers not my head.  If I'm are thinking of what button comes next, it's generally the wrong one.

Quite right - I'm a great believer in Brainless Melodeon Playing! I do also endeavour to bring the same philosophy to my golf game - alas, without the same measure of success :'(
AL
My fingers are wrong and they never do as they are told by the brain when trying to play melodeon or concertina.  :-\

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »

I find problems tend to become self-fulfilling prophesies - as soon as you start worrying about a note or a tune chage or tricky bit, the brain kicks in, takes over control of the fingers which were on 'auto-pilot', and screws up.

Happened today on our first dance performance in the sunshine this year, however second time through, the logical bit of the brain got involved - "if in doubt - leave it out". That tune had too many notes anyway!!

Andy

Indeed, less is more :P Most people won't notice a few notes missing here and there.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 08:05:39 AM »

Indeed, less is more  Most people won't notice a few notes missing here and there.

yup, isn't that what the bass end is for? ;)
AL

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 09:44:51 AM »

I never let my brain get involved.  The tunes are in my fingers not my head.  If I'm thinking of what button comes next, it's generally the wrong one.

Quite right - I'm a great believer in Brainless Melodeon Playing!  :'(
AL

Brainless melodeon playing would be fine if I didn't have dyslexic fingers!  :(

My own solution to 'anxious brain syndrome' is to stop the brain panicking by making it concentrate on the tune one bar ahead of the bar I am playing. It seems to calm things down and reduce the number of times I fall off the tune, but does not eliminate the problem entirely.

Why is it, I wonder, that I rarely go wrong the first time through a tune: it usually happens the second or third time through.  ???
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

LeFonque

• Good talker
  • Loffet 3 voice, Loffet Pro 2+
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 10:54:39 AM »

I am not sure if it is this thread, but today I have had the worse case of useless playing. Everything went pear shaped.

Well I should say more a incident of sausage fingers. My bass rhythm was all out of whack.

Everything was terrible. My solution was to put the box down watch TV and vow never to play again until the next time.

Grief!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 03:48:22 PM »

We could make this beer thing a scientific experiment.
Make a video tape recording of your playing and drinking and then playback the recording when completely sober.
It may be necessary to practise beforehand, dinking that is not playing.  As an empirical test, if you can't operate your tape recorder after initial practice then you know you've overdone it and will need to start again tommorrow.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

HallelujahAl

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 06:19:39 PM »

Why is it, I wonder, that I rarely go wrong the first time through a tune: it usually happens the second or third time through.   

Bob - second & third time round you are sub-consciously improving the tune ;)
AL

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »

Why is it, I wonder, that I rarely go wrong the first time through a tune: it usually happens the second or third time through.   

AL

No I think its because he is a swot and has been practising.   :o :D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 08:26:38 PM »

I think its because he is a swot and has been practising.   

Good point that! :D

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 04:01:41 PM »

AL

No I think its because he is a swot and has been practising.   :o :D
I think its because he is a swot and has been practising.   

Good point that! :D

Hey! Stop ganging up on me - I'm starting to feel paranoid!  :'( If you don't leave me alone, I'll send my mother round to sort you out. >:E

It is true that I practise (although those who have heard me play may find it hard to believe), but I have a good excuse, m'lud - I'm trying to compensate for an inherent lack of ability.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 02:15:22 PM »

I'm trying to compensate for an inherent lack of ability

This is the best summing up of my level of talent as well. Three cheers for we dimwits who, despite all the facts, refuse to give up. Who, after years of toil, still have bouts of sausage finger and total loss of memory when asked to start a tune in a session. Who, despite hours of practice, can only play once through correctly. I take great comfort from being part of this august group which shows the true depth and strength of the human spirit in the face of adversity. :-[ :-[
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »

I'm steadily working up to this skill level.

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2009, 03:55:29 PM »

Who, despite hours of practice, can only play once through correctly.

Once through correctly is too much for me :( Like Chris I too have some way to go obviously!
AL

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2009, 04:36:42 PM »

Once through correctly is too much for me Sad Like Chris I too have some way to go obviously!
AL

Might I suggest a favourite from my repertoire, Three Blind Mice? Although tricky in parts it can bring out the maestro of the melodeon in me, particularly when played with pathos, another of my favourites.

Mike
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »

... particularly when played with pathos, another of my favourites.

I don't know that tune, do you have the abc?  ???  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2009, 07:15:04 PM »

... particularly when played with pathos, another of my favourites.

I don't know that tune, do you have the abc?  ???  ;D

x:1
T:Three Blind Mice
K:G
T B M2 | T B M2 | S H T R | S H T R |
etc

HallelujahAl

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2009, 07:22:26 PM »

Brill tune - I can't stop playing it!!! And I can even play more than once through without too many mistakes.
AL :D

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »

I thought grittite asked for the abc to "Pathos", rather than "3BM"?

(Signed)

Confused of York.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2009, 10:44:21 PM »

I'm trying to compensate for an inherent lack of ability

This is the best summing up of my level of talent as well. Three cheers for we dimwits who, despite all the facts, refuse to give up. Who, after years of toil, still have bouts of sausage finger and total loss of memory when asked to start a tune in a session. Who, despite hours of practice, can only play once through correctly. I take great comfort from being part of this august group which shows the true depth and strength of the human spirit in the face of adversity. :-[ :-[

Although I am not in that situation with the melodeon I am with many, many other things. It is an exclusive fraternity to belong to. I do have total loss of memory in sessions though. Including sliding into a different tune half way through.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal