Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to melodeon  (Read 2281 times)

curlyburns

• New Starter
New to melodeon
« on: September 22, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »

Hi all, I just joined the site as I finally have been able to acquire a melodeon. I came across it online here in Western Australia, it was the sellers wife's grandfathers and they were very happy it was going to a musician rather than a collector. If I understand correctly it is a 1940s model Hohner Pokerwork? Any tips on exactly what it is would be great :) My grandfather played accordion and I have been dying to learn some kind of accordion for years now, finally got my hands on this and Im so happy! Learning how to play is very hard but Im picking some things up quick :)

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
Re: New to melodeon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »

Welcome to Melnet curlyburns! You'll find there's lots of support available through the forum. There are some good tutor books out there which can help get you started and there are quite a few threads already on the forum which address specific topics so do have a search around. Best of luck with the learning - I have been learning to play the melodeon for about 4 years now and am still enjoying it. I hope you enjoy it just as much. Leave the instrument out and keep picking it up to have a little play.
Mike.  :||:

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:08:53 PM »

Your first task is to find out what tuning it is.  There should be some letters stamped on the lower edge of the keyboard that will tell you.   There are many possibilities, most likely is C/F or C/Cs (C/C#) if its not obvious post it here and we'll be able to tell you.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

curlyburns

• New Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! Theo, I just had a look it is C/F :) :||:

invadm

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:49:18 PM »

welcome to melnet and enjoy your new old box  :||:   I have one of this Hohners but in G/C key..they sound wonderful when set up properly.mine was tune by Theo 2 years back..lovely old Hohner sound. 

penn

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »

welcome curlyburns, that's a nice box.
I have one too in white with gold leaves and cosmetically a lot worse than yours. It's a G/C, I think it has newer reeds. It's a marvelous player - nice keyboard. And beautiful red/pink flowery bellows papers.
I've gathered from experts here that this style is from the early part of the 30's, not as late as the 40's.
Steve

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »

Welcome. Nice looking box. Technically it's a "2915" rather than a Pokerwork; same basic bodywork, but the "Pokerwork" finish ("Vienna" in the Hohner catalogue) is gold and black. And I'd agree it's probably pre-WW2, judging by the keyboard design and the lettering style. 2915s came in a number of finishes, and I think this is a particularly attractive one, and apparently in exceptionally good nick. Enjoy......

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

curlyburns

• New Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »

Thanks for our help identifying it guys :) It is in pretty good condition, a lil rusty here and there but I like the aged look, the paint is work out where the original owners fingers and hands sat, sounds great too, I'll post some more detailed pics tomorrow. I spoke with the owner and am calling it after his wife's grandfather, 'Alberto'.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 05:08:37 PM »

First off welcome to the forum Curly.
It's lovely you naming your great melodeon. I was thinking about naming my several. For instance...
1,Decrepit, 2, tired, 3,the beast, 4, you bast..d and 5,  you'll do.  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

I hope the Albrecht is no. 5
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 07:22:58 AM »

Anahata, you must be psychic  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 03:54:18 PM »

Welcome indeed!  Playing a diatonic box is much like playing a mouthorgan, just practice divorcing your breathing from the movement of the bellows or you may expire!

Technically it's a "2915" rather than a Pokerwork; same basic bodywork, but the "Pokerwork" finish ("Vienna" in the Hohner catalogue) is gold and black. And I'd agree it's probably pre-WW2, judging by the keyboard design and the lettering style. 2915s came in a number of finishes, and I think this is a particularly attractive one, and apparently in exceptionally good nick. Enjoy......

Nomenclature can get tricky - just as the term Melodeon in the USA means a reed organ - Hohner themselves have never called any model "Pokerwork".  The finish of a Pokerwork is a rolled gold paint finish and the catalogue term I believe is Goldbrand.  the 2915 models and 1040 (single row) models both qualify as Vienna and have both been available in Goldbrand finish.  Of course, normal human perversity means that many of us are constantly looking for the older models with different and therefore more distinctive finishes.  I love this one, the floral design doesn't detract at all from its macho image.

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal