Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting and funny question for you all  (Read 2021 times)

Jake Middleton (brinwins)

• Regular debater
  • Concertina Maker and repairer
    • Wolverton Concertinas
An interesting and funny question for you all
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »

I was just watching Q I and heard it said that helium only changes the pitch of your voice because sound travels faster through helium - thus changing the pitch

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Would putting helium in your melodeon say through the air button, then playing through the reeds make your instrument really squeaky for a short time?

If anyone has any inflated baloons around.....

upmine3

• Regular debater
    • Facebook
Re: An interesting and funny question for you all
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 09:32:11 PM »

Yeah so a typical 3 voice say LMM would probably jump to a MHH in theory. For it to work properly you'd have to have a tank of helium feeding the reeds constant from inside the bellows for one side of the reed block and outside in for the other side of the reeds.
Castagnari Kriss III B/C -  Hohner Double Ray De-Lux B/C Pokerwork (presswood) Pokerwork (Brown)

Tattyjacket

• Good talker
    • Tattyjacket
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:17 PM »

SO...................that could turn a G/D into a B/F.

Might get to feel a bit floaty though.
You know..........my local Thorntons has a jar of helium. I wonder whether i could persuade them to extend the scientific knowledge of mankind?

Phil
p.s. I wonder what it would do for bagpipes?............Now they really could get floaty
Clocs Canton + Full Moon Morris

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:16:38 PM »

I was just watching Q I and heard it said that helium only changes the pitch of your voice because sound travels faster through helium - thus changing the pitch

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Would putting helium in your melodeon say through the air button, then playing through the reeds make your instrument really squeaky for a short time?

If anyone has any inflated baloons around.....

No, because with free reed instruments the pitch is almost entirely determined by the stiffness and mass of the reed, and only slightly by the air (or helium) load. This is unlike voices and reed/woodwind instruments where the pitch is determined by a resonant column of air (or helium).

There would be a small change in pitch, probably a fraction of a semitone -- I remember a New Victory Band concert many years ago at Pontefract Town Hall where they had a dry ice machine next to Chris Coe's harmonium, and when they turned it on during a tune it sucked in the cold dense CO2 and went horribly flat...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »

afaik free reeds don't really work like that, but it'd work on bagpipes I think. We spent a long time working out a design for a gas fired bagpipes, complete with ignited drones...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal