Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2014: Princess Royal  (Read 11576 times)

arty

Re: Tune of the Month for October 2014: Princess Royal
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 04:59:39 PM »

Sometimes 'dead straight" + Hohner is best! Nice job David!  (:)

Thanks very much Air Time! I just love this Melodeon thing we all do!
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 07:55:30 PM »

Sometimes 'dead straight" + Hohner is best! Nice job David!  (:)

Thanks very much Air Time! I just love this Melodeon thing we all do!

Nice one Arty, I like this. Dead straight + Hohner gets my vote too... funnily enough that's what my version is:

Princess Royal

There's a random electronic beep part way through which was actually Pikey messaging me on FB during the recording. Any other random noises are a result of me not playing this very often.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

arty

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 09:04:35 PM »

That's great Helena - you do a nice little bass run down - I shall nick that idea!
Your Pokerwork sounds lovely, it's hard to beat that sound.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

t-tone

• S. Devon, Sandpiper D/G
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 05:05:56 PM »

Stung into action by Arty's comment in the November poll. Here's my first TOTM posting, presented mainly to pipe-clean the whole procedure. I'm struggling to 'articulate' some of the quavers, particularly if it involves my little finger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sq0CA2f0Kg

Practice, even when success looks hopeless. The left hand, inept in other respects for lack of practice, can grasp the reins more firmly than the right, because here it has had practice (M. Aurelius)

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 07:08:47 PM »

Stung into action by Arty's comment in the November poll. Here's my first TOTM posting, presented mainly to pipe-clean the whole procedure. I'm struggling to 'articulate' some of the quavers, particularly if it involves my little finger.

Nice one, t-tone.  Well done and good to see another Sandpiper convert (:)
Nigel
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:46 PM »

Good show all, especially Arty and Helena – excellent contributions as always.

I’m a bit late and under-rehearsed this month as my box has been away being retuned (to 4th button start Anahata layout – thanks Lester, a first rate job and fantastic follow up service.  The new layout is awesome (:)).

Anyway, here’s my contribution – another straightforward Abingdonian version (but no Hohner) and a bit rough and ready (the timing is a bit screwy in places):

http://youtu.be/EqqWUCVuW0Q

Scarily, I’ve now been learning for a year.  I’m not sure where the last 12 months has gone, but it’s been good fun!!  Cheers, N.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

arty

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 08:19:11 PM »

Well t-tone, there are a lot of positive things there! A little tentative but that's expected for your first tune of the month - you have a really good steady rhythm running right through the piece and you keep it going to the end, well done for that. And it sounds really musical too, which is important, you are not just banging out the notes in order. That's great, be proud of yourself and keep practicing, you're on your way! And thanks for posting, it takes some courage the first few times.

arty

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »

Good show all, especially Arty and Helena – excellent contributions as always.

I’m a bit late and under-rehearsed this month as my box has been away being retuned (to 4th button start Anahata layout – thanks Lester, a first rate job and fantastic follow up service.  The new layout is awesome (:)).

Anyway, here’s my contribution – another straightforward Abingdonian version (but no Hohner) and a bit rough and ready (the timing is a bit screwy in places):

http://youtu.be/EqqWUCVuW0Q

Scarily, I’ve now been learning for a year.  I’m not sure where the last 12 months has gone, but it’s been good fun!!  Cheers, N.

I'd say that was really good playing for one year! Well done and thank you for posting. You have been quite imaginative with your arrangement, which makes your video really interesting to listen to. Great stuff!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2014, 10:37:47 PM »

That's flippin'  good playing for a year!  :||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2014, 12:47:17 AM »

... And remember, if I can post, anyone can... http://youtu.be/C0eq2Hh96N0

arty

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2014, 10:12:50 AM »

... And remember, if I can post, anyone can... http://youtu.be/C0eq2Hh96N0

Because of the dark and mysterious film, there is something very appropriate about your video - Happy Halloween Princess Royal >:E
Well done Matt, keep enjoying your playing!

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »

keep enjoying your playing!

Thanks arty, I enjoy it alright, or it's a pointless obsession, or both.  The myth of Sisiphus I think is the expression.  I tell you what though, I don't know about how to strengthen your little finger but if you want to strengthen your wrists and forearms, a Boorinwood one row four stop is perfect, dearie me that's hard work.

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »

Well, in response to Arty's rousing call to arms on the November poll, here I am with my first ever TOTM!

http://youtu.be/qAL_u0a3x6I

I posted in the beginners section a couple of months ago but this is my first foray into this section and my second ever YouTube vid so apols for the sound and focus!

I still haven't cracked the knack of not speeding up because I'm nervous, but all in all I'm pleased to say I'm not doing too bad for 10 months in (two obvious fluffs aside).

Thanks to all who have posted before me for giving me the courage to join in! (even if I just snuck in under the wire and am now off to hide from trick or treaters!)

Vicky.
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 04:43:08 PM »

Well, in response to Arty's rousing call to arms on the November poll, here I am with my first ever TOTM!

http://youtu.be/qAL_u0a3x6I

I posted in the beginners section a couple of months ago but this is my first foray into this section and my second ever YouTube vid so apols for the sound and focus!

I still haven't cracked the knack of not speeding up because I'm nervous, but all in all I'm pleased to say I'm not doing too bad for 10 months in (two obvious fluffs aside).

Thanks to all who have posted before me for giving me the courage to join in! (even if I just snuck in under the wire and am now off to hide from trick or treaters!)

Vicky.
Nicely played, Vicky. Great rhythmic feel and good to see the little finger in action! The speeding up will settle over time.
Mike  (:)

arty

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »

That's great Vicky....I bet you feel good now! You get a lovely sweet sound out of that Pokerwork, lovely, just lovely.

I am glad I had my rant the other day, two or three people have posted for the first time. Now, if we can just keep doing it, we can encourage each other and coax one another along and we will all learn from each other and become better players!

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »

I'm very impressed with the standard of the newer players; it's a pleasure to listen to them.

StupidFingers

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 10:52:55 PM »

Hi.

There's some minor miracles gone on here.  First that I actually managed to do this as things have been a little chaotic of late, second that I managed to get to grips with a tune that I've been intermittently struggling with for some time now and in a relatively short period of time, third that I didn't fluff it when a load of OPBs started banging on the door (I hate Halloween!) and finally that the total duration of the recording time used on my camera was a whole 4 minutes 25 seconds rather than close to an hour!

So, here's my effort, played (in best Spiers & Boden tradition ;D) at a speed which is probably way too fast to dance to...

http://youtu.be/mwe4UOA3JZ4

I don't know why, but for some reason switching the low register in seemed to help.  It only happened by chance that I did it otherwise I might still be trying.

Not quite sure which version I'm playing.  When I originally started trying to play this, I began with a version from Mally's "Easy Peasy Tunes" book, but there's a chunk of the B part that has come from memory, I think, as it does not appear to match what's in the book, so it's probably a bit of a hybrid.

arty

« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »

Hi.

There's some minor miracles gone on here.  First that I actually managed to do this as things have been a little chaotic of late, second that I managed to get to grips with a tune that I've been intermittently struggling with for some time now and in a relatively short period of time, third that I didn't fluff it when a load of OPBs started banging on the door (I hate Halloween!) and finally that the total duration of the recording time used on my camera was a whole 4 minutes 25 seconds rather than close to an hour!

So, here's my effort, played (in best Spiers & Boden tradition ;D) at a speed which is probably way too fast to dance to...

http://youtu.be/mwe4UOA3JZ4

I don't know why, but for some reason switching the low register in seemed to help.  It only happened by chance that I did it otherwise I might still be trying.

Not quite sure which version I'm playing.  When I originally started trying to play this, I began with a version from Mally's "Easy Peasy Tunes" book, but there's a chunk of the B part that has come from memory, I think, as it does not appear to match what's in the book, so it's probably a bit of a hybrid.

Hybrid or not, that was really well played - great!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2014, 12:13:20 AM »

Nice to see a few more contributions - keep them coming. While this month is officially closed, and we're onto a new tune, late submissions are as ever very welcome; just stick them on the end here.

Cheers,

Clive

bellmartin

• Regular debater
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal