Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: What started you off playing Melodeon?  (Read 11831 times)

geoffers

Re: What started you off playing Melodeon?
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »

Well,my nan ran a pub in the fifties and played squeezebox in a skiffle group every Friday night , when she passed away in the late sixties the grandchildren were given the choice of items that were left in the pub, I chose the box. During the next forty years it has travelled from house to house, loft to cupboards but never played, having played the ukulele for a couple of years, done quite well, I thought about the box in the loft, I gave it a try,it had five broken reeds, but I could bang out a tune, a buy and sell on the bay and that's where I am today, hooked!! And still banging out a tune.
   Geoff

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »

Going to Kendal Folk Club and joining the session at the Crown at High Newton in 1975; meeting Hugh Taylor (of this parish) and listening to him play his one row; hearing Ian Dunmuir play when he visited the Crown session; listening to Morris On (and Son of) and Battle of the Field; and finally, winning 50 quid on a football lottery card at the place I worked which wasn't too far off the price of a Pokerwork in them days. A big boost to my playing though was joining Melnet in 2010.

Grape Ape

« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2014, 05:41:15 PM »

I spent a year in Bordeaux back in '95 where I fell in love with accordion music as well as many other things french... For years after that I just enjoyed listening to French musette as well as more modern french bands using accordions.  Slowly but surely I found myself saying, "I wish I could play the accordion." For about ten years I "wished" I could play the accordion before deciding if I had spent those ten years learning rather than wishing that I would have probably gotten pretty good in that time. That is when I decided to buy one. My first box was a Hohner Student PA, bought a bit more than three years ago. After a year it became clear that I was struggling with the piano end of the box, and just for fun I bought a Hohner Panther. The day it arrived I had a eureka moment of "hey I can PLAY this thing" and I haven't looked back. Soon I was kicking out tunes at a much higher level than the Mary had a Little Lamb stuff I was able to do on a PA. I was hooked. Then I found this site, where having already suffered a form of Madness, I found company with which to share my ever increasing ailments. A support group if you will.
So now, 2 1/2 years later, It is the second greatest joy in my life, and has led to many exciting experiences as well as many a sense of accomplishment. The rewards have been substantial, and it is now permanently tied to who I am.
If there is a moral to the story it is this: Don't ever spend ten years wishing you could do something, just do it! While late might be better than never, I can't help thinking how much better I would be with another ten years under my belt.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:12:35 AM by Grape Ape »

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2014, 12:31:30 AM »

Well put Frank, and totally agree.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Aldina

« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2014, 04:38:50 PM »

Thank you Nick and Steve for the welcome, so far I have found lots of good advice in the forum and all members are very supportive for new players,
Thank you all
Aldina in Lisbon
Aldina
Lisbon in Portugal
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal