Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AKG and Superlux microphone comparison recording experiment  (Read 747 times)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
AKG and Superlux microphone comparison recording experiment
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:12:48 PM »

At a gig last night I was handed a new Superlux PRA-383DXLR clipon mic to try. At about £44 it's considerably cheaper than the microphone it seems to have "copied". I used it on a bass end last night (seemed OK) and took it home to experiment on  >:E

Mucking around this afternoon without a thought of posting anything here (any excuse for the playing of course), I tried the following to compare it with my usual AKG C1000S stand mic for the treble end.

I played into the two mics at the same time plugged into a mixer. One panned hard left and one hard right.

USB connection into my laptop and used Audacity (44100HZ 32bit float) to record it all. Then normalised the recording (though the mics were almost at the same level) and split the left and right channels into separate mono tracks.

There has been no treatment of the recording and no effects. The EQ on the desk was all set to middle. The Superlux has a little less gain (it gives quite a high signal), but all other settings were the same.

The instrument is my Zero Sette one row 4 stop. The Superlux clip-on was clipped onto one of the stops and the capsule ended up about 3 inches away from the palletes, pointing to a spot about 2/3 of the way down the instrument.

The AKG was on a stand and was placed just over a foot away from the palletes, pointing at the middle of the range.

I was going to be cheeky and not tell you which one is which just yet  :P . But, I didn't want it to turn into a competition or summat.

Superlux clipon.

AKG stand mic.

I've uploaded them in the Flac format as it uses lossless compression.

Make of it what you will. I can tell the difference of course, but I think the Superlux performed quite well for live work .. though I'll still be sticking to a stand mic I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal