Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Falling flat on my Face  (Read 3893 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Falling flat on my Face
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 10:39:26 PM »

Just watching Martin Simpson in concert completely mangle one verse of a song.  He never  stopped playing pointed out his mistake and then sang the right verse. Don't worry about mistakes, just keep playing.

Absolutely! I've lost count of the times I've missed out whole, and sometimes critical verses in songs and still received applause. As with melodeon notes, audiences hear what they expect to hesr, whether it is there or not :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 12:31:04 AM »

Don't worry about mistakes, just keep playing.

I think what Grape is describing is a complete breakdown: when you can't figure out what you're supposed to be doing & how to continue - I've been there!  It's a bit different from the pro who is able to fudge it & carry on.

In that case you should stop, smile, talk to the audience while you decide what to do next.   Maybe go on to the next piece.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Grape Ape

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 05:08:58 AM »

Absolutely! I've lost count of the times I've missed out whole, and sometimes critical verses in songs and still received applause. As with melodeon notes, audiences hear what they expect to hesr, whether it is there or not :|glug
[/quote]

Kind of like your typing! 😜

Speaking of typing, Helena, I like the whole "sideways typing on the wooden handbag" thing, it's brilliant.  Sorry and yet somehow comforted or relieved to know you had a similar experience halfway around the world at what could have been the same moment... Misery loves company, I guess.

So in response to all, and this has been great to hear other experiences....

Yes, a complete breakdown is exactly what I am talking about.  I have played the same songs for smaller audiences of friends and family and been able to plough through the mistakes, at a forgiveable level.  This was utterly forgetting songs I HAVE practised the heck out of.  And yes, I was playing solo.  What I have decided is that music IS like public speaking.  It is one thing to know your subject, and another to be able to teach it to a group in an engaging manner.  With music it is one thing to be able to play a song when no one is listening, and another to be able to perform that music in front of a group.  Which means, I need to start practising performing as much as I need to practise the songs themselves if I am ever to share traditional and modern french melodion tunes with the good people of Ohio. Man, first I discover that despite the fact I spent most of my life as a drummer I still have a lot to learn about rythem, and now this!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:42:24 AM by Grape Ape »

Grape Ape

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:47 AM »

P.S. I really like the busking idea, and really want to do this, but here in the United States, i.e. The land of the free, that is a very good way to get arrested or at the very least, ticketed.  Funny how that works.  Sorry, I know that like wine and politics, melodeons and politics don't mix, but it is what it is. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:44:44 AM by Grape Ape »

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »

At least you didn't fall flat on your back - I did the other day and two days later can hardly move my left arm.  you probably feel your pride is hurt, but don't even think about it.  The dividing line between a polished performance and a train crash is pretty thin and it takes practice and confidence to stay the right side of it most of the time.

I spent the first half of my life being painfully shy then one day realised that I was no better or worse than anyone else and if you don't make the effort then there'll be no music!  I've screwed up the intro to a dance three times in quick succession, but the dancers didn't care.  I've started three different tunes before believing I was playing the right one (it wasn't) everyone just laughed, myself included.  The only way to overcome nerves for me is to use the techniques practiced in yoga, calm, steady breathing and conscious relaxation of the whole body so that your pulse rate becomes normal before you start.  Don't start before you're ready, sometimes you have to wait a second or two for the audience to settle or the dance set to face up.

Rob.

melodeon

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 01:26:30 AM »

Preparation, preparation, preparation.

Fewer tunes done well.

Walk around and introduce yourself to a few of the audience before the performance... then you are playing to friends.

Lyra

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 03:34:34 AM »

I think also the more you believe cock-ups don't matter (in an end the the world way), the lower the likelihood of cock-up escalating to gibbering meltdown.
Of course, taking that too far could result in a rash of the melodeon equivalents of Les Dawson and/or Eric Morecambe  >:E

(youtubes attached to translate for overseas viewers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMOrsWxh5mg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHBN45fbo8
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal