Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Youtube video  (Read 2355 times)

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
Youtube video
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »

Almost makes me want to play a Hohner  >:E  anyone care to have a stab at the model. It sounds like a 2 voice to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTfCo5VeuTk&feature=youtu.be

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Youtube video
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 05:16:58 PM »

Jubilee III?

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

TomB

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:29:51 PM »

Never heard of a jubilee III Hohner!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »

It's not a Hohner it's a recent Paolo Soprani Jubilee.  A box that is in production now that is intended to reproduce the old grey Paolo
 Soprani.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mory

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 10:31:25 AM »

No it's not  >:E

Looks as if it could possibly be a 30's style Hohner wood/ally keyboard on an Erica or Black Dot with an added Paolo style grill? 
Any advances (come on microbot  ;) ) All the Best mory   P.S what it definitely is not, is a Paolo Soprani Jubilee  :o   ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:14:40 AM by mory »

Vector

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

sounds good! I agree with Theo - it does look vaguely like one of the Paolo replicas -
chasing the tunes

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 07:56:29 PM »

Right enough. The bass side is definitely Hohner like. The PS Jubilee, has rounded ends, with no flattened corner for the bass buttons, like a Hohner.

John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

mory

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »

The place where the grill meets the finger board is an important feature, this one is a right angle unlike the blended slope of a Paolo new or old. The finger board square shape at the ends and the wood finish are worth noting. The bass strap attachment on a new Jubilee has an adjuster. The gap at the bellows edge of the grill and at the ends appears very narrow, unlike either an old Paolo or a Hohner. More will be revealed I'm sure  (:) AtB mory

I personally think it has the sound of a re reeded Hohner, happy to be enlightened on any aspect though.
BC and Concertina player, I've found the way Paddy placed his thumbs/thumb on the concertina end case really comfortable and I use it quite often.... oops wrong site  :D

Microbot

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:38:32 PM »

Hi Super-Sleuth melnet detectives!

... For my money it's an Erica or Primatona ... with replacement fingerboard ... and a shiny grill-lining that makes the grill look different.

The overall shape of the case is pure Erica .... also the bass end recess where the 8 buttons sit (with those sloping sides) ..... also the very narrow space between grill and bellows at the treble end.... even the bellows look classic Hohner Erica.... also the bass strap also the simple way that strap fixes at the bass end.

It's really only the fingerboard that looks markedly different.

I'll probably be proved totally wrong and look an idjit ... but this Poirot suspects it's a modified Erica/Primatona.

cheers!

« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 09:41:17 PM by Microbot »

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:23:07 PM »

Having looked at it a couple of times I thought Erica, FWIW, having compared it my black Erica. The whole fingerboard assy is different. It's deeper and squarer.

It almost looks modified to provide a decent thumb groove instead of the standard round edge. He's playing with his thumb very flat on the edge, as far as I can see around the mic!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:27:53 PM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

TomB

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 01:51:32 AM »

I had thought old Erica, it was the strange fingerboard and grill was confusing me. It has (to me) a concertina-ish sound that I like. I'd love to get my hands on it and have a play.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal