Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bank Payments to German Ebay members??  (Read 6126 times)

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Bank Payments to German Ebay members??
« on: October 15, 2014, 07:40:43 PM »

A lot of Germans want payment by bank transfer, which is not in itself a problem. However, when I get an invoice from Ebay and try to get the bank details, I just get an error message that it couldn't get the details.

On other occasions it has worked OK, but I don't know what was different. Obviously I can get back to the seller and get a message with the details, but it's less than ideal.

Anyone else get this? Or know how to get round it?

Cheers,
Malcolm
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
Re: Bank Payments to German Ebay members??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 08:57:15 PM »

Most Ebay regulars would disagree about bank transfers not being a problem, just Google it. OK, the seller avoids Paypal charges and if there are no problems with the sale then all is fine, but there is *no* benefit for the buyer. Quite the reverse. You have no effective proof of payment whatsoever. Because you have not used Paypal, which is a cast iron proof of payment, you have no buyer protection and recourse to dispute resolution, no possibility of getting your money back. It would never cross my mind to not use Paypal, especially for high-value items from abroad. And it is against the rules for the seller to refuse to accept Paypal.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:21:18 PM »

Simple method, change your own address temporarily so that the country is Germany :-)

Btw Chris, German Ebay seems quite happy for sellers not to use PayPal. It seems to be the exception in Germany.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

malcolmbebb

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:58:47 PM »

Chris,
Take your point but a lot of Germans won't accept Paypal. Paypal is better for the buyer, but costs the seller. This is pretty normal on Ebay Germany. You takes your choice...

My point was that the mechanism of the transfer is not a problem. I am aware of the risks. Ebay has the sellers bank account details, and presents them to purchasers, but sometimes it (apparently) screws up and throws an error. Happens on German internal transfers, I understand, but maybe more often on international?

I would like to know a reliable way of getting the info from Ebay without having to ask the seller to send them in a message.
Dino BPII.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »

My experience of buying on German Ebay has been positive but I was frustrated that there was no PayPal option. Sending an international payment cost me £20. I had previously tried to use  a cheaper method via a website, recommended to me,but it did not work in the end. I also found it annoying I had to do the detective work to find out the address of the seller's bank to be able to enter it in the form at my end, as it was a required item on there. Perhaps we ought to lobby ebay...
Mike

malcolmbebb

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »

I suspect Ebay would dearly love to enforce Paypal. In the past I've found German and Dutch shopkeepers very reluctant to take plastic, and I suspect this is part of the same outlook. Cash or direct bank payment.
Dino BPII.

invadm

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 05:29:50 PM »

I think it is the same here in UK if you want to transfer money bank to bank ,all you need is account number and sort code..this is for us in UK however when transferring money internationally  you’ll need IBAN/BIC code with the bank name and city as well as persons name. as the eBay listing set/started in Germany for German buyers you will not be able see or use their details as listed on eBay...that is of course if the seller is not prepared for international buyers..however some do and provide all payment details for international   buyers...having gone belly UP on my last 2  German eBay I’ll stay away from non pay-pal buys from abroad...even pay-pal takes so long and big hassle to get anywhere if/when things do go wrong..+ you’ll pay the return postage yourself. Speaking from very recent  experience- disappointment more like     

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 05:30:52 PM »

I have had no trouble in Germany with Kay Albrecht and Andreas of Fratton Accordions. Both are very amenable to PayPal.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

an bosca ceoil

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 07:38:55 PM »

eBay tried to make Paypal obligatory but the Germans would not stand for it!
Hardly surprising when euro transfers are the norm cost them nothing.
Apart from the cost, transfers from UK require so much detail regarding the payee that some sellers are reluctant to disclose it unless you can convince them that is how our antiquated system works

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 08:10:54 PM »

If you want to do it regularly, talk to your bank.
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Sebastian

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 08:11:19 AM »

Recently they have even broadcasted amercan-style Paypal advertisments on german TV. They were toe-curling.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 10:18:56 AM »

If you want to make a bank transfer internationally then British banks often charge crippling fees which makes it unattractive.

There's a new website out there I've been using for about a year now which is called transferwise.com and they can make bank transfers for you for a fraction of the price (you normally save £20 in fees on what you'd pay a bank to do it) ... it's seriously easy if you have the IBAN and BIC codes for the person you want to pay - and you can just pay for it on a credit or debit card like you would for any online transaction.  I've found them completely secure and trustworthy.

It definitely takes the anxiety out of making foreign transfers!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

malcolmbebb

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:15 AM »

You'd have to be MAD to use it though...  >:E  It works well, and they have pointers to tools to determine IBAN and BIC if you haven't got the full details.

The interface has a few little niggles IMO but otherwise very pleased wit it.
Dino BPII.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »

I don't work for them by the way!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 07:01:06 PM »

Following Squeezys earlier recommendation I've made Transferwise my first choice for sending payments to the Eurozone.  It's very simple and easy for £/€ transactions, not so smooth for other currencies.
If you want to try it you can get the first transfer free if you contact someone who is already a user and get a code from them.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »

There's a new website out there I've been using for about a year now which is called transferwise.com and they can make bank transfers for you for a fraction of the price (you normally save £20 in fees on what you'd pay a bank to do it) ...
I am pretty sure that is the one I tried and it didn't work on my iPad. As I recall there was one box on the form for which it wouldn't accept what I was putting in even though I had several attempts. That's why I had to go the bank route in the end.
 :(

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »

Transferwise can be a bit like that, but their support people are very good and usually respond quickly by email or even quicker on Twitter.   I think it's a good thing to support a young organisation that is taking on the big banks on one of their big money spinners.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 12:47:37 AM »

Thanks, Squeezy and Theo, for the recommendation, which comes at a perfect time for me as I will have to send a substantial sum, probably next week, to a French manufacturer. Travelwise.com looks as though it will not only save me money in fees, but will also save me a 42 mile journey in each direction to visit my bank.

When I receive the e-mail I am expecting any day now saying that my new box is ready, I am likely to be asking somebody here for the code Theo mentioned.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:46 AM »

Bob, make sure you use Transferwise, not Travelwise.  With the latter you have to fill a bag with used banknotes and travel to the payee using your bus pass.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »

Thanks for the correction, Theo. Another senior moment! I should know better than to try to write something coherent at 12.47 a.m.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal