Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post non-YT video?  (Read 1954 times)

nula

• Good talker
  • Serafini R2D2 G/C
Post non-YT video?
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:19:15 PM »

I'm quite keen to post videos of my newbie playing to get advice and input from others. But, I'm worried about uploading/joining YouTube do do this, because I had some issues last year with constant pressure to link Google/YT and just about everything to one single account, so worried about privacy invasion issues. I cut my YT membership as a result.

Is there any other way of posting videos on this site, apart from YT?

I have a Zoom Hn4 (think that's the one) video recorder, so, for example, can I just video to MP4 or whatever and somehow upload/post like that?

K.B.O.

oolong32

• G/C Serafini R2D2, C/F Pokerwork, C/F Hohner Norma
Re: Post non-YT video?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »

How about Vimeo?
♭ ♮ ♯

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »

I'm quite paranoid about secuirty threats online but I've been using YouTube for ages now with no problems at all. If you use a computer and manage to avoid any involvement with links to Google, I'd be amazed.  Wasn't so sure about Soundcloud and ended up closing my account there but I'm sure others round here could tell you how to use that without problems too. Hope this helps.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »

You can't open a YouTube account without getting an automatic Google+ account, but I simply don't use the Google+ part of mine at all.

Vimeo is excellent - high quality processing, simple uncluttered pages, no tie-in with Google+ or anything similar and free as long as you don't upload more than 500MB of video per week or more than 1 HD video per week. The main disadvantage is that the rest of the world will never "stumble across" your video on related links while they are surfing around YT, so don't expect hundreds of comments, subscribers and "likes".

You get faster upload processing, more capacity and extra feautures if you pay, but it's not terribly cheap.

Both sites let you embed videos into your own web site if you have one.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

nula

• Good talker
  • Serafini R2D2 G/C
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:07:56 PM »

You can't open a YouTube account without getting an automatic Google+ account, but I simply don't use the Google+ part of mine at all.

Vimeo is excellent - high quality processing, simple uncluttered pages, no tie-in with Google+ or anything similar and free as long as you don't upload more than 500MB of video per week or more than 1 HD video per week. The main disadvantage is that the rest of the world will never "stumble across" your video on related links while they are surfing around YT, so don't expect hundreds of comments, subscribers and "likes".

You get faster upload processing, more capacity and extra feautures if you pay, but it's not terribly cheap.

Both sites let you embed videos into your own web site if you have one.

I find Google+ and Google's attempts to force you into joining oppressive.

I don't want anyone to stumble across anything I upload and I'm overjoyed if not a single person 'likes' me or wants to be my 'friend' online.

Thanks all, I'll look into that vimeo link.
K.B.O.

btracy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:36:18 PM »

Sorry for the late reply to this and thusly bringing up an older post, but you can upload to youtube and keep the videos private or unlisted, but still be able to post links to them here on the forum.  I love my google account.  I use the calendar feature all the time.  I have it on my phone and it syncs up with my computer, so I can set things on my calendar from my phone, and I can check them on my computer, and it works the other way around of course.

P.S. - Is there any way to embed a youtube video in a post on this forum instead of just posting a link?

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 01:09:01 AM »

Sorry for the late reply to this and thusly bringing up an older post, but you can upload to youtube and keep the videos private or unlisted, but still be able to post links to them here on the forum
Good point - you can do that, if you want viewing a little more restricted.

P.S. - Is there any way to embed a youtube video in a post on this forum instead of just posting a link?
YouTube shows, with every video, an 'embed' link that could be used for just that. I'm on another forum that uses the same software as this one and people often embed YT videos there.

btracy

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 02:03:13 AM »

YouTube shows, with every video, an 'embed' link that could be used for just that. I'm on another forum that uses the same software as this one and people often embed YT videos there.

That "embed" feature on youtube only gives you some html code that does not work on this forum, and most others.  Usually the forum has to have an extension so you can embed youtube videos just like you would images.  I've modified phpbb based forums to have the ability to embed youtube videos, like shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5cA3ldBzKo

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »

That "embed" feature on youtube only gives you some html code that does not work on this forum

Of course. Brain half asleep - I blame late night posting  :-[

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 08:58:21 AM »

We have discussed this one before I think; yes, we *could* enable youtube embeds on the forum, but I'm not planning to because the posts get a bit untidy - links off to youtube are much neater and disrupt the reading flow less - and I'm concerned about what security holes allowing html code on forum posts would open up. So... posting links is fine :-)

JonathanC

• Jonathan Causebrook Music Page
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »

Hi Nula,

Another option might be to create a new/second email address with your email provider specifically for use on YouTube and create an account with that one.   This way there will be no direct link to your current email or any of you other subscriptions.   You can then just ignore any emails that come in from that mail box without interfering with your normal email.

Cheers
Jonathan
"Have squeeze box, will travel"  - Office job is killing me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal