Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Question.....Key of C  (Read 10721 times)

Martin P

• Respected Sage
Re: Newbie Question.....Key of C
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2015, 01:45:18 PM »

That would be useful. Salterelle supply a D pull instead, which can be useful when playing D, F#,A, C arpeggios which often arise in tunes. I may well get my changed sometime. Ta for suggestion.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2015, 03:54:17 PM »

C has a number of versions including a couple of "lydian" whatevers, but assuming this thread is about the standard major - er what F#

Can add that I've neded up playing rather a lot of C blues last week. As cut down pentatonics, blues will often play when the whole scale is bit of a pig. Don't be scared to try. 

… and of course C blues does use F#as one of its bluer notes ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »

If I am not wrong, the Hohner D/G boxes, and the one riìow four stop in D, entered the UK market in the late sixties, under the pressures of a number of Emglish musicians like Regf Hall and were not distributed elsewhere.
I think all the English traditionl players that were recorded after WW II and owned a Hohner were playing either the C/F and the one row four stop in C.

triskel

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »

If I am not wrong, the Hohner D/G boxes, and the one riìow four stop in D, entered the UK market in the late sixties, under the pressures of a number of Emglish musicians like Reg Hall and were not distributed elsewhere.
I think all the English traditionl players that were recorded after WW II and owned a Hohner were playing either the C/F and the one row four stop in C.

The Hohner D/G boxes were first introduced by Bell's of Surbiton in 1955, and that's when Reg Hall got his. The first small batch of (I think it was 10 or 12?) pokerworks sold out quickly, but the second batch, of Ericas, sold much more slowly and, at the time, they weren't planning on getting any more made.  ::)

In relation to the two row "Vienna Style" (pokerwork) melodeons, Bell's February 1957 (et al.) catalogue states "They are supplied in two different tunings. The British Chromatic Tuning, which is the most popular tuning in this country (keys C/C# or B/C), and the Continental Tuning, which is preferred by continental countries, the U.S.A. and Canada (keys of G/C or C/F)" and lots of English traditional players were using "English scale" C/C# or "British chromatic" B/C boxes - playing them mainly along the C row and crossing over for accidentals.

Bell's catalogues make no mention of the key that the 114 or 1140 one-row melodeons were in...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2015, 05:21:16 PM »

And following triskel's chapter and verse, there's a lovely thread a couple of years back where Inventor of this parish gives the same story. He'd saved up for a Pokerwork from the original batch, but when he got there they'd gone so had to ask dad to top up his pocket money and savings so he could get the more expensive Erica.
He went on to tell when be was the *other* melodeon player at Sidmouth festival in the mid '50's!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

triskel

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2015, 05:43:29 PM »

He'd saved up for a Pokerwork from the original batch, but when he got there they'd gone so had to ask dad to top up his pocket money and savings so he could get the more expensive Erica.

The oldest prices I've got are from that 1957 catalogue - and at that time a 2915 "Vienna Style" (a "pokerwork" to us now, though they didn't use that word to describe them then) was £14 ,, 6s ,, 5d, whilst an Erica cost the princely sum of £16 ,, 2s .. 7d, but that difference would have represented something like 4 months' pocket money for me around 1960...  :(
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal