- 17 (27%)
Le bonhomme & la bonnefemme
- 12 (19%)
Mrs. Hamilton of Pencaitland
- 11 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Voting closed: October 31, 2014, 10:31:50 PM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for November 2014  (Read 5445 times)

butimba

• Regular debater
  • Oxford, UK
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for November 2014
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 01:01:57 PM »

It would be a shame to have another repeated tune for a second month in a row. C'mon people!
OK, ok. You convinced me.  >:E I changed my vote from Innconu to Haste to the Wedding. ;)

Oh no, I was hoping for L'innconu!  (:)

I think ToTM is a brilliant idea and very much hope it continues. (I hope to start contributing more once I get a better melodeon in a few week's time.) I quite like the idea of having two tunes per month, just so there's a bit more choice - so voting would be as normal but the top two tunes go through. (Don't know about anyone else, but I have to really like a tune to put the effort into learning and recording it for ToTM, which often doesn't happen - but might happen more often if there were two tunes to pick from rather than just the one.)

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »

Thanks for your kind words, Arty!

ABCs for Mrs Hamilton are here:
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,3033.msg189464.html#msg189464

Don't know about anyone else, but I have to really like a tune to put the effort into learning and recording it for ToTM, which often doesn't happen -
Oh yes, I agree.

arty

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

A light drift if I may.....
I really enjoyed arty's version of Mrs. Hamilton...... has anyone any abc's of this tune?
Q
in hope....

Here you are:

X:1
T:Mrs. Hamilton of Pencaitland
T:Slow air
C:Nathaniel Gow (1763 - 1831)
R:Slow air
M:4/4
L:1/8
Q:1/4=86
K:Dmaj
P:A
AG | F3G A2 A2 | B2 d2 B2 G2 | F2 d2 A2 F2 | E6 G2 |
F3G  A2 A2 | B2 c2 d2 g2 | fa3 f3e | d6 AG |
F3G A2 A2 | B2 d2 A2 f2 | g3e f2 d2 | e6 AG |
F3G A2 A2 | B2 d2 A2 F2 | GFGB A2 FE | D6 ag ||
P:B
f3a g2 e2 | d6 ef | g3b a2 f2 | e6 ag |
f3a g2 e2 | d2 f2 A2 F2 | G2 B2 A2 FE | D6 ag |
f3a gece | d6 ef | g2 b2 afdf | e6 fg |
a3f gfeg | f2 d2 A2 F2 | GFGB A2 FE | D6 |]

I actually got mine from The Session but this is Steve's 'tidied up' version.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2014, 01:32:36 PM »

Don't know about anyone else, but I have to really like a tune to put the effort into learning and recording it for ToTM, which often doesn't happen -

On the other hand, on the occasions when I've learnt ToTM just because it was ToTM and not because I've liked the tune I have invariably learned something valuable from the experience and often ended up liking the tune by the end of it.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2014, 04:40:26 PM »

On the other hand, on the occasions when I've learnt ToTM just because it was ToTM and not because I've liked the tune I have invariably learned something valuable from the experience and often ended up liking the tune by the end of it.

That's happened to me too. One of the best thing about ToTM has been getting to learn tunes I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

911377brian

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 05:29:45 PM »

I really do try to learn the tune of the month but one or two of them really give me trouble. One in particular is Foul Weather Call, a tune I really like and keep hammering at in a kind of desperate despair on one row, without any noticeable success. I think the thing I like about the tune of the month is that it focuses my efforts into one channel instead of me drifting about all over the place. Steamboat Hornpipe was another crippler, I never managed to sort out any bass notes for it despite watching and listening to the remarkable Sandy Shallis endlessly, and only having two bass notes on my one row... :||: :|bl

arty

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »

I really do try to learn the tune of the month but one or two of them really give me trouble. One in particular is Foul Weather Call, a tune I really like and keep hammering at in a kind of desperate despair on one row, without any noticeable success. I think the thing I like about the tune of the month is that it focuses my efforts into one channel instead of me drifting about all over the place. Steamboat Hornpipe was another crippler, I never managed to sort out any bass notes for it despite watching and listening to the remarkable Sandy Shallis endlessly, and only having two bass notes on my one row... :||: :|bl

Brian, if I may make a suggestion.....next time you have a problem with, for example, the basses, why not make a recording of yourself just playing the tune and post it on here. But importantly, say that you need help and don't be afraid to ask for help with the basses. I am sure someone will help and then you'll be on your way. Melodeon.net is full of really kind and generous people but no one will help you if they don't know you have a problem.
I have been playing for 2 years and 5 months, so I don't feel qualified to help people with difficult stuff but if I can help a beginner I will. A few times I have had difficulties I couldn't resolve on my own and I have had enormous help here. And sometimes the trouble people have gone to in order to help has been staggering. So, my advice:- record what you can do, talk about your problem and sit back and wait. Answers and suggestions will come.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

911377brian

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »

Thanks for that Arty, I'm in the process of learning to record myself on this iPad thingy, just a matter of getting a grandchild to stand still long enough to teach me... ???

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »

Thanks arty, much appreciated.
Q
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:15:22 AM by Clive Williams »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal