Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing "second melodeon" for Morris dancing  (Read 4864 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Playing "second melodeon" for Morris dancing
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 10:31:55 AM »

In tunes that really REALLY needed a solo line, eg Fieldtown "Signposts" I had a facile policy of dropping out. Actually I'd sometimes pop off to bar or loo; such dances done to a chop sui of slightly variant timings are frankly not to my taste.

Chuggers like eg Adderbury shooting or some of the Bampton dances … fine. All in somehow ambled through, though however hard I tried to finish sharp on the last clack of sticks and "all up", someone would always continue playing, or do a cliché "da-daaah" with accordion bellows  :-\ To me this seemed more of a self indulgence than any possible "support for the dance's structure"

"Multi instrument Morris, only works, with a charismatic leader" might make a useful thread?
  _       _    _      _ 

jonm

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 11:57:48 AM »

I'd always advocate a solo musician, but most sides have so many ex dancers now only playing that any dancer would never get a look in.

Requires agreement on starts and endings. Doesn't require the leader to be charismatic, just in control and watching the dance with a practised eye.
Castagnari Mory and Giordy D/G, Hohner Erica, four-stop in G, two-stop in G

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 12:47:14 PM »

I appreciate why several posters are advocating a solo musician for Morris, but let's not lose sight of the fact that most people dance and play for Morris because it is enjoyable to do. It would deprive a significant number of musicians (some of whom are retired dancers) of this pleasure if all sides were to stick to a 'solo musician' rule. It would also deprive the world of many melodeon players because a goodly number got started through Morris and many others use Morris as a first step towards playing with other musicians, playing in public and playing for dance. Morris is also a very social thing, and ex-dancers might find it difficult to justify remaining in a side if the route of becoming a musician was not open to them.

Therefore, in my opinion, we should be encouraging, not discouraging, more Morris musicians and focusing the discussion on how to ensure that the music is as together as it can be when there is more than one musician. My advice in this respect would be to have a single musician play the 'once to yourself' to establish the tempo for the dancers and for the other musicians and for those other musicians to join in when the dancers start dancing. I would discourage harmony lines and ornamentation so that the rhythm and structure of the tune is communicated as clearly as possible to the dancers. I would also advocate crisp endings. All of this won't just happen naturally. The musicians need to talk to one another about it and, if possible, have the occasional practice without the dancers, so that they can focus on making their performances as crisp as possible.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »

Since Smiffs and me have been mentioned several times...

Playing with more than one musician for Cotswold -- especially with slows, and following dancers who dance differently in corners -- is undoubtedly more difficult to get right. It needs good musicians playing suitable instruments who practice together and watch the dancers and play with/for them, not just play the music -- it helps enormously if you know how all the dancers in the side dance. It needs much more attention to tight playing so that gaps in the music -- as important as the notes! -- are still gaps, not filled in. You need to play differently to playing solo, listening to what the other musicians are doing -- you know, like playing in a band. Any ornamentation and harmonies have to add to the dance/sound, not detract from it, and certainly not by turning the music into a mushy mess.

Having said all that, done properly -- like I hope we do! -- it can add things to the sound that a single instrument can't while being just as good to dance to -- or even better, depending on the dance. Unfortunately many teams don't seem to put this amount of thought and effort and practice into making this happen, and it shows.

Just like dancing, really...  >:E
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 01:34:16 PM »

Little to add, except:

- Practice playing together (without the dancers!) - starting, finishing, going in and out of slows, etc
- 6 dancers - one lead musician - the rest of the musicians must listen to and follow the lead. This is vital as tempo within a dance will vary with Cotswold e.g. for capers. It is not metronomic like North West or Border. That is why drums rarely work for Cotswold, unless played by the lead musician as pipe and tabor.
- Keep it simple - dancers dance to the pulse/beat, not twiddly arrangements

Multiple melodeons/boxes - staccato is best and probably just one playing basses. Need to avoid mush!

Finally keep the band close together, too often you see 'trainee' musicians lurking behind physically and half a beat behind musically.

Back to the OP's question - second melodeon options when working closely with the lead musician? Depending upon the dance,  you do have options to add variety. E.g. only playing for the chorus and not the figures, or vice versa, play some in upper octave to vary the sound. But all need planning ahead and practice.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:39:00 PM by Andy Next Tune »
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »

I'd always advocate a solo musician, but most sides have so many ex dancers now only playing that any dancer would never get a look in.

My experience at festivals, is that the point where an "average" side has more musicians* than dancers is more or less with us ..  :|glug

*including tapped and shakey whatevers ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 10:12:36 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 10:11:20 AM »

My experience at festivals, is that the point where an "average" side has more musicians than dancers is more or less with us ..  :|glug

Are you counting the jingle rings and shakey eggs tho?
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

nudiefish

• Aussie Morriser
    • Art Prints
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »

A few years ago I ventured to England and found myself at the Rochester Sweeps Festival (2010).  While being exposed to a crazy variety of wonderful Morris experiences I must admit to being completely overwhelmed by a particular group of musos from the Witchmen Border Morris.   Now there is a gaggle of musios who had a sense of something or other.  Even though I am a Cotswold Dancer first and foremost, I was fascinated by this group because their music was so well tied together.  I'm still charmed by them. 

This is what I recorded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TOjtGc1iEA&list=UUnJlheJDSSxL0mSsygqc4gQ

1 x Hohner D/G, 1 Sandpiper Stint D/G and a Hyde D/G Box.  I'm also a photo buff!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »

If you liked Witchmen's band you'd love Boggart's Breakfast. A band that's clearly properly rehearsed,and with drummers who really know how to play drums!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2014, 10:49:13 AM »

.. now there is a rarity! ::)
  _       _    _      _ 

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »

Funnily enough I play for two sides - one North West and the other Border.  I lead the North West band (unofficially) and play very strict tempo and loud to hold all the others together.  I find that many of the learners actually play ahead of the beat (nerves, I guess).  As leader, I can only allow myself a few decorations, no flights of fancy.   Noew with the Border side, whether with our old band of several boxes or the new fiddle based version, I still end up playing loud and steady as all the others wander off into counter melodies and rythmic diversions.  I suppose it depends on the individual, then.

I know my place...

Rob.

nudiefish

• Aussie Morriser
    • Art Prints
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 01:19:17 AM »

If you liked Witchmen's band you'd love Boggart's Breakfast. A band that's clearly properly rehearsed,and with drummers who really know how to play drums!

Thanks Anahata, I looked them up and they are indeed pretty good to listen too, as you say. 

I guess that it is horses for courses and its all dependant upon personal opinions.  Morris is always like that, I guess?  Personally, I have never seen much of a problem having several musios playing for the morris with the exception of the music speeding up on occasion.  Dancers generally give you a good bollocking if you get carried away.   Sometimes having several different sides playing together for massed dancing can be a trial, given the nature of the folk music process and the sometimes subtle (and not so subtle) tune variations on display.   We tend to have a primary musician for any given tune (this is not always the same person) and they lead the music.   We now have a couple of expat English hurdy-gurdy players in the side and I would not have credited the fill-in sound they offer amongst all the boxes and concertinas.  I also take the point about a solo player being clean, undistracted  and in control. 
1 x Hohner D/G, 1 Sandpiper Stint D/G and a Hyde D/G Box.  I'm also a photo buff!

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »

Agreed -- likewise Shropshire Bedlams/Martha Rhoden's band(s), who also are but don't.

(because tambourines don't count as drums, even when played properly -- which theirs are...)
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

george garside

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2014, 01:27:48 PM »

I think that what differentiates between  ''groups of morris musicians'' is that  the less good are simply  ''motley collections of players'',  skilled or otherwise,  who happen to be there on a particular occasion.

The good to excellent  are proper ''bands'' with a clear leader, regular band practice and carefully chosen line up of instruments.

Sadly a great many sides do not have the luxury of a proper ''band''  so cannot be criticised  for getting by as best they can.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 08:03:37 AM »

I've played for four Morris sides in my  time, though one was Whitby Scratch.
   I don't think the word "practice" came up amongst the musicians .. even once :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 09:35:48 PM »

I've played for four Morris sides in my  time, though one was Whitby Scratch.
   I don't think the word "practice" came up amongst the musicians .. even once :|glug
Dancers go to practices to practice dancing. Morris musicians go to practices to play for the dancers' practicing. In my experience, most dancers assume that the music will just happen, and never give thought how/where tunes are learnt or that the musicians might need to practice.

Equally, again in my experience, many established Morris musicians don't think about how their skills and knowledge will be passed on to the new players.

to pick up George's points, while selecting the mix of instruments can be difficult, there is no reason why any Morris 'band' cannot have a leader and regular practices.

It just requires some determination to overcome inertia, tradition, and lots of excuses. And musicians with a will to do it.

And yes Chris, I did finally achieve that with one of those four teams, although admittedly it did take a number of years  (:)

Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 07:28:51 AM »

I'm sure they do practice individually. My point was more that a Morris band needs to "practice" rather than just "play" together if those individual idiosyncrasies are to be ironed out? And the reflection phase would probably benefit from a senior dancer feeding back about how it felt to dance to?

But Morris ain't like that, and all the dance feedback I've ever had has been "right speed"; or otherwise.. :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal