Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Accordion Players Together  (Read 3908 times)

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
Re: Accordion Players Together
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »

I never was any good at spelling, and had to take English O level twice before I passed. The English Master couldn't fault my praysee, parzing or S.A. content, but concluded it was my spelling that let me down. Should have used the Spell Cheque.
O.K. Stampede it is.

Inventor

You're probably very good at maths then Inventor.
My downfall is mathematics, I can't even add up properly.
However, back on topic.
A Push-Me-Pull-You of accordions
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   â€œI woke up this Afternoon”

ACE

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »

Well if I'm on my own it is the Ace of melodeons, a duo is a Brace of melodeons any more than that and it is a Race of melodeons. Of course when it is silent it is a case and everybody know about the Face of melodeon players.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 09:23:03 AM »

It depends on your attitude of mind: if you are a bellows-half-full sort of person then the collective noun is an inflation of melodeons, whereas if you are a bellows-half-empty person it would be a deflation of melodeons.

The appropriate collective noun can also be affected by the playing style of the musicians melodeon players. A group of very loud players would be a bellow of melodeonists, whereas a collection of very shy, diffident players would be a whisper. However, the latter term is rarely heard because some say that shy melodeonists are an endangered species, while others regard the term as being a theoretical concept that has never been encountered in the real world.  ::)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Inventor

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »

To Nick: actually yes. When I decided to go on to higher education, I had the choice of Bristol, London or Newcastle. Bristol had a good Morris side and a very good Longsword. London (combined colleges) had a reasonable Morris side, no sword; plus several top rate Morris clubs in London itself. Newcastle (King's College) had not only the very best Rapper sword in the country, but also surprisingly one of the best Cotswold Morris sides as well. The professor of Civil Engineering was also at that time current Squire of the Morris Ring.
So the choice was obvious. It was also pointed out to me that I actually had to pretend to be studying something other than Morris, Rapper and playing the melodeon, so with two "A"s, I mistakenly chose Maths: you'd be surprised how boring Maths becomes after 3 years advanced study! Still I did enjoy the Rapper, Morris, Clog, Northumbrian piping, and Northumbrian dancing very much.

I hope that starts a Stampede to Newcastle!

Inventor.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2014, 05:08:26 PM »

You're probably very good at maths then Inventor. My downfall is mathematics, I can't even add up properly.

You shouldn't feel in any way diminished by that Nick. Basically there are only three "types" in this .. those who can count, and those who can't

edit to make "remotely" funny :|bl
  _       _    _      _ 

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »

To Nick: actually yes. When I decided to go on to higher education, I had the choice of Bristol, London or Newcastle. Bristol had a good Morris side and a very good Longsword. London (combined colleges) had a reasonable Morris side, no sword; plus several top rate Morris clubs in London itself. Newcastle (King's College) had not only the very best Rapper sword in the country, but also surprisingly one of the best Cotswold Morris sides as well. The professor of Civil Engineering was also at that time current Squire of the Morris Ring.
So the choice was obvious. It was also pointed out to me that I actually had to pretend to be studying something other than Morris, Rapper and playing the melodeon, so with two "A"s, I mistakenly chose Maths: you'd be surprised how boring Maths becomes after 3 years advanced study! Still I did enjoy the Rapper, Morris, Clog, Northumbrian piping, and Northumbrian dancing very much.

I hope that starts a Stampede to Newcastle!

Inventor.

Your heart is obviously in the right place Inventor.  ;D
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   â€œI woke up this Afternoon”

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 02:08:43 AM »

An 'over enthusiasm' of melodeon players?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal