Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: right hand fingering  (Read 6807 times)

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
Re: right hand fingering
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2014, 03:44:19 PM »

Interesting

with my fingers parallel, almost touching, keeping the whole right hand flat on the table top:

I can raise my first finger to a point where its tip is about 50mm above the surface, without provoking any movement in other fingers.

I can do exactly the same with my middle finger, again, without any effect on other fingers.

I can raise the third finger tip independently to maybe 20mm without the second finger moving, but if I allow the second finger to lift along with the third, then the tip of the third finger can rise a bit more - to perhaps 35mm.

I can lift the fourth finger as high as the first - 50mm - without any effect on other fingers.

So I suppose that bears out George's main point in my case at least. 

It might be worth adding that although I play box right-handed like most other people, I've played stringed instruments left handed for nearly 50 years so my right hand has been doing a lot of (fairly) accurate and demanding fretting for decades.  I'm not sure it makes any difference. 

I'm a "use two fingers, three when necessary" sort of box player.  I still don't fancy using my little finger, although I suppose from this evidence I should have a shot at using fingers 1,2 and 4, leaving the 3rd redundant in the way I presently dispense with the use of the 4th.

I suspect the 3rd will get in the way.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »

Didnt you play the piano as well? Or was it Cello? I think most other-instrument-players can use their little finger just fine...after a lot of practice. I would say, do the same, but if practice is not your thing ;-) ....

I have played violin/fiddle since the age of 10 and of course that involves a great deal of (left-hand) little finger use.

Practice is my thing... but I prefer to spend my time working on getting around accurately and efficiently with the three fingers I can rely on rather than trying to make my less reliable little finger more reliable.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »

Didnt you play the piano as well? Or was it Cello? I think most other-instrument-players can use their little finger just fine...after a lot of practice.

Yes, both. Cello needs a strong left little finger which doesn't help much with melodeon, but piano needs independent movement of all fingers on both hands and that undoubtedly must help.

- its  not so much 'strength' thats required in the pinky ( or any other finger) but  more the   ability to operate  it swiftly precisely when required  i.e. to tap rapidly in a very controlled way.  I'm not sure that sqeezing  3 or 5 lb gadgets will achieve that?

I don't know - if the muscles are weak you won't have much control, so the gripper will help with that, but you'll also need to do other exercises that develop timing and independent movement. (such exercises might consist of lots of playing, of course...)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2014, 07:38:00 PM »

? scales!?

g
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2014, 06:17:28 AM »

I can raise my first ..middle ..fourth finger to a point where its tip is about 50mm above the surface, without provoking any movement in other fingers.

I can raise the third finger tip independently to maybe 20mm without the second finger moving, but if I allow the second finger to lift along with the third, then the tip of the third finger can rise a bit more - to perhaps 35mm.

That's a lot to do with cross links of the "extensor" tendons at the back of the hand, which you can feel by touching the area with other hand and doing some wiggling. The ring finger is particularly "connected" and most people would have similar numbers on this test. You can stretch them with exercise, and strenthening the requisite muscles (up near the back/outside of elbow, again feelable) but piano players in particular have been known to have minor op's to snip the junctures.

Our palm's "flexor" tendons are more sensibly designed, two per digit.
  _       _    _      _ 

george garside

« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2014, 09:03:01 AM »

Very interesting Chris  ,  the 'wiring diagram' attached  makes it very clear.   

Whilst on the subject of 'digits'  has anyone  developed 'triger finger'  as a result of melodeon playing.  I  have  had ops to release  3 fingers and injections  on another two  (all at different times) and have wondered if the cause is  anything to do with frequent button thumping

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal