Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Information needed  (Read 1978 times)

Hansi

Information needed
« on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:50 AM »

Hi
I'm actually a concertina player but a friend has just given me this old 'MELBA' melodion (it actually has 'the Melba Accordion' written on it). I searched on-line to try and find out what it actually is, but had no luck at all. I found similar instruments but not this one. I posted these pictures on my concertina forum and found out that it was probably made in Saxony (it has Made in Germany written all over it), it's pre-war, and that it was made for an Australian company (I live in Australia). Can anyone here tell me any more about it, including roughly its age, is there an existing fingering chart, the difference between the three stops and when do you use them, and basically… how do I play it?! :-[

It has a wonderful deep and rich tone and needs a fair bit of TLC, but generally its condition isn't too bad and I would love to be able to play it…

Many thanks, John

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Information needed
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 03:21:05 PM »

Not sure why you moved it. It's about a particular model if instrument, so it was in the right place to start with!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 04:11:44 PM »

It looks like a standard one-row Klingenthaler to me. The keyboard layout can be found on
the "Home" page here. The pitch note ("doh") will probably be the third button from the top.
Don't worry too much about the "voice" knobs on top. These just bring in extra rows of reeds, effectively giving more volume. They can be used for other purposes, but for now you can ignore them. Just play around with it and enjoy yourself with it.

PS. If I've made any major bloopers above, one of the real experts will put me right.

Good luck,

Chris.  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:34:09 PM »

I think you've about summed it up, Chris; the unfortunate probability is that it is likely to be in "old pitch", noticeably flat in comparison to A=440, and sadly these instruments, by and large, don't merit the cost of a refurb & tune. That said, they're fine for learning the rudiments, provided you don't want to play with other fixed-pitch instruments.

Graham

Just noticed this post takes me to 2020 - I can see clearly now.........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »

is there an existing fingering chart

yellow — on push
blue — on pull
how do I play it?!
You use the left hand to play a steady and constant and never ceasing rhythm, two measures pushing, two measures pulling, two measures pushing and so on. Doing this you can add random notes with the right hand. Then you can play tunes, e. g. this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngpujxEG0qc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU6BJ4IwxDA
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:00:30 PM by Sebastian »

Hansi

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 12:46:32 AM »

Thank you very much Chris, Sebastian, & Graham for the friendly information and advice… that's just what I needed to know to get started. I never considered a melodeon as an instrument for me but, after receiving this old one as a gift and then visiting this forum, I can see the start of a new venture beginning to take shape! Thanks again for all your help… much appreciated.

Cheers, John

triskel

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 01:48:36 AM »

I never considered a melodeon as an instrument for me but, after receiving this old one as a gift and then visiting this forum, I can see the start of a new venture beginning to take shape!

'Tis a slippery slope John...  :(

Grape Ape

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:08:34 AM »

John,
If it is a "slippery slope" than it is the very good kind! Like a mile long water slide with several bars (pubs) on the way down serving ice cold pints of the very best! I just purchased a very sweet one row which I have been (ab)using to figure out as many xmas tunes as possible (actually quite easy due to the lack of choices in so far as wrong buttons to push) before the big day, and the best part is that every tune I learn translates directly to the two row. I have nicknamed my one row "the tune finder."

Sebastian what's the story again behind the "h" and what do the ' and " signify?

Grape Ape

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 06:16:24 AM »

P.S.  It can also use it to play tunes like this:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caolE_i-6uo

And many many more.....

This explains a lot as well,

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ598TBtOhY

Both videos are from members of this forum, and I hope its Ok that I posted links to them....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:25:40 AM by Grape Ape »

triskel

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2014, 07:33:49 AM »

John,
If it is a "slippery slope" than it is the very good kind!

'Tis, and I'm still clinging onto it!  ;)

But I was speaking with familiarity to John, having already replied to him on Concertina.net...

... what's the story again behind the "h" and what do the ' and " signify?

"h" is German notation for b natural and the ' and " signify the octaves.

Sebastian

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2014, 08:09:09 AM »

Sebastian what's the story again behind the "h" and what do the ' and " signify?
In the middle ages there were no accidentals. Only B could have a lower version (today called Bb) and a higher version (today calld B). In the 16. century the lower version was written with a round shaped letter "b", the higher version with a letter "b" with straight strokes. The latter became h in printing in some regions.

Here is a picture of Guidos famous hymnus Ut queant laxis. You can see the names of the notes: Γ A B C D E F G a b h c

The little markings ' indicate the octave, similar to abcnotation.

(I made this some time ago for a german context.)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 08:17:56 AM by Sebastian »

Hansi

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2014, 08:26:52 AM »

Thanks so much everybody for all this wonderful information and the links to YouTube… this is such a big help! The fingering chart is a great asset and will save me a lot of time trying to work out what notes are where. As for slippery slopes… I love them and I usually jump right on (usually head first!) and see where they take me… and I'm really excited about this one!

Learning with the old pitch isn't really an issue for me as I will only play alone… at least at first. If I become completely hooked on it, which I probably will, I will look for a better instrument at a later date.

Anyway, thanks again for your expert opinions and help, I'll keep you posted on how I get on… cheers, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal