Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for November 2014: Tunes with Names in the Name  (Read 26836 times)

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
Re: Theme of the Month for November 2014: Tunes with Names in the Name
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »

The dance instructions for Sylvia's Serenade (in the facsimile Pete uploaded) are something else.  The music is minuet-like but the dance certainly isn't.  I can't find a video of any group doing it, has it been done at all in the last 250 years?
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2014, 06:48:17 PM »

The dance instructions for Sylvia's Serenade (in the facsimile Pete uploaded) are something else.

Not me Jack, robotmay posted his own abc transcription of the tune taken directly from a recording by Leveret and then later uploaded a scan of a Playford facsimile. If you re-read the thread carefully all will become clear!

Pete.  8)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2014, 08:04:29 AM »

The dance instructions for Sylvia's Serenade (in the facsimile Pete uploaded) are something else.  The music is minuet-like but the dance certainly isn't.  I can't find a video of any group doing it, has it been done at all in the last 250 years?

I think it's actually a three-two hornpipe - it probably has been danced by one of the Playford or historic dance societies. If not, they really should! A lovely tune, especially with the 'missing' bar that disappeared some time before Dave Townsend's notation.  (:)

:|||:

Jack Campin

• Jack Campin's Home Page
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2014, 11:02:53 AM »

The dance instructions are just as far removed from a hornpipe as they are from a minuet.  The tune has none of the syncopations you get in a 3/2 hornpipe.

I think it's a one-off - something like the much later "waltz country dance" that used a waltz tune for a set dance, only this is using a minuet for a longways dance with wacky actions.
http://www.campin.me.uk/

I can't figure out how to quit but I will no longer check this group and have deleted all shortcuts to it.

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »

One additional offering in the Name-Name category, before the American Thanksgiving holiday roars in and devours the rest of November.

I've been learning lots of tunes from Québec over the past year or so, and I wanted to give the one-row an outing. So here is an attempt at Lorenzo Picard's tribute to Philippe Bruneau, the "Reel du père Bruneau." I've decided to omit my early efforts in the field of podorhythmie, which are not a thing of beauty.

http://youtu.be/QbOkPNf_wMA

Bob Michel
Near Philly

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2014, 09:13:07 AM »

The dance instructions are just as far removed from a hornpipe as they are from a minuet.  The tune has none of the syncopations you get in a 3/2 hornpipe.

I think it's a one-off - something like the much later "waltz country dance" that used a waltz tune for a set dance, only this is using a minuet for a longways dance with wacky actions.

As far as I'm aware, instructions for 3/2 hornpipes are generally quite vague. I think they might have assumed that everyone already knew the bit that made them hornpipes (i.e. the stepping).

I disagree about 3/2 hornpipes all being syncopated. Clark's Hornpipe and If You Do Not Love Me both have a strong three in a bar feel.

It would certainly be interesting to see it danced.  (:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2014, 12:19:26 PM »

As far as I'm aware, instructions for 3/2 hornpipes are generally quite vague. I think they might have assumed that everyone already knew the bit that made them hornpipes (i.e. the stepping).

I disagree about 3/2 hornpipes all being syncopated. Clark's Hornpipe and If You Do Not Love Me both have a strong three in a bar feel.

It would certainly be interesting to see it danced.  (:)
I think you are referring to If You Will Not Have Me, You May Let Me Go - the 3/2 hornpipe we did at Witney?

The 1995 film of Pride and Prejudice has the Netherfield Ball scene with a set of dance movements to Mr Beveridge's Maggot (another fine tune!). As far as I'm aware, this is close in structure to that given in Playford. Whether it is a menuet or a 3/2 hornpipe is up for debate. At times, I don't think there was a lot to distinguish one from the other except that 3/2 hornpipes tended to be a bit faster in tempo.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Selam

• Regular debater
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2014, 12:42:07 PM »

I think you are referring to If You Will Not Have Me, You May Let Me Go - the 3/2 hornpipe we did at Witney?

Indeed I am! I have heard it called both though! Thanks for the further info on the dance! (:)

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2014, 12:55:30 PM »

Hi, everybody!

I am a newcomer. I've been playing melodeons for more than 20 years, and for half of them I've been teaching too. Then I decided to take a rest... and the rest lasted for more than ten.

Three years ago, I've blown the dust off my instruments. I'm slow, but I feel I'm recovering!

I saw a mention of Margaret's Waltz, so I tried to re-learn it in a week after (at least) 15 years. It's my fisrt YouTube video ever!

http://youtu.be/XqmQ6jXxbKY

Regards

Gianni
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 07:51:26 PM by GBbox »

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2014, 03:43:54 PM »

Dennis Crowther's No. 3 played on my Pariselle DG box, with LM reeds, and with fetching red buttons to match the bellows.
http://youtu.be/_uPym4_LNyw

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »

I don't think I'm going to have time to learn and record tune of the month this time around so here's a posting for the theme of the month.  Possibly slightly tenous (as the name really means 'Farewell the the Shore') and still a bit wobbly in places this is a tune I first learn for Steve Dumpleton's 'Passion & Darkness' workshop at Witney.  At the time I thought it was a gorgeous tune but I was struggling with a damaged finger and Witney information overload.

I looked at this tune again on Saturday evening and was instantly smitten and just had to have a go at learning it.  I'm clearly pushing the boundaries of my capability (again) with this one, so posted with a little trepidation here is Ffarwel i'r Marian
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #151 on: November 26, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »

posted with a little trepidation here is Ffarwel i'r Marian

That's lovely, especially as it's not a particularly easy tune to play.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #152 on: November 26, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »

I'm clearly pushing the boundaries of my capability (again) with this one, so posted with a little trepidation here is Ffarwel i'r Marian
Well done, that was terrific.  N
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #153 on: November 26, 2014, 08:46:35 PM »

Well done that was fab. Really struggled with these tunes but really enjoyed the workshop.  Jill
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Bob Michel

• Regular debater
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2014, 08:48:04 PM »

I don't think I'm going to have time to learn and record tune of the month this time around so here's a posting for the theme of the month.  Possibly slightly tenous (as the name really means 'Farewell the the Shore') and still a bit wobbly in places this is a tune I first learn for Steve Dumpleton's 'Passion & Darkness' workshop at Witney.  At the time I thought it was a gorgeous tune but I was struggling with a damaged finger and Witney information overload.

I looked at this tune again on Saturday evening and was instantly smitten and just had to have a go at learning it.  I'm clearly pushing the boundaries of my capability (again) with this one, so posted with a little trepidation here is Ffarwel i'r Marian

Thanks; what a gorgeous tune--and quite well played. It's now on my to-learn list.

Bob Michel
near Philly

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2014, 09:39:30 PM »

Wow, I could never learn that one !

Here's Dearest Dickie instead

http://youtu.be/Glh6Fl6mp30
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »

Well done Helena, that's really coming on nicely. (:)
If you want a tune to put with it, try Merch Megan (unit B3, still available on the M@W web site). Play Merch Megan first (perhaps 2 or 3 times) followed by Ffarwel i'r Marian similarly and finishing with Merch Megan again just once through.

Glad to see the bandage has now come off, though your poor finger still looks a bit red and sore.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2014, 12:10:38 AM »

Wasn't planning on doing another recording this month, but this is my favourite tune at the moment, and well, it's got a name in it!

Here is Rose Howard, composed by Sam Sweeney and Rob Harbron as part of Sam's 'Made in the Great War' project; if you haven't seen Sam's show and you get the chance (it's at Celtic Connections next year), I thoroughly recommend it - it's an amazing piece of theatre and storytelling woven around the story of Sam's violin, and the fate of its maker, Richard Howard, who perished in World War I. Rose Howard was Richard's daughter, and this piece is named after her.

There is a faster part of the tune with Sam/Rob blend into their (sublime) version; I've skipped that off this one, because frankly, I wasn't doing it justice.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt4BCMgbFXw

Cheers,

Clive

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:15 PM »

Cheeky moment - Steve, any chance of the dots or preferably abc for the 'Merch Megan' tune?
Having learnt a tune named after one daughter, am on the hunt for a tune named after my other one!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Ellisteph

« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »

Well done Helena - pushing the boundaries is the way to go. A really nice tune too - can anyone - perhaps Steve - recommend a book which includes this & similar tunes?
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal