Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Practicing to recordings  (Read 7300 times)

KLR

Practicing to recordings
« on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:05 PM »

I posted a while ago about this at another site and thought I'd port it over here, I didn't get much of a response regarding the actual practice there, but people had all sorts of input about which computer program is ideal. You can always just fire up a CD etc of course but having things on the computer is handy since with the right program you can modify pitch or tempo.  I figure this might be of interest here as well since there seem to be a good few techy types here, I even came across a thread with a link to an XKCD comic...

I find playing along with recordings a great help for practicing on any instruments and most especially with accordions, with uptempo dance music it's sort of evolution in action, I might hit upon some fingering for a tune that I think will do the job and then try and play along with music at full speed and find out it just won't happen, while some other approach does.  Also playing along with records seems to be invigorating somehow, the energy of the musicians picks you up in a way.  And of course since it's just a recording and not live human beings you won't get on anyone's nerves, well, unless it's the nerves of people who have to listen to all this racket...

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
Re: Practicing to recordings
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 10:40:22 PM »

Thanks for this, and if anyone can recommend a good app for the iPad that will take an existing audio file that is on the iPad already and shift it in pitch, that would be magic.  By the time I've listened to a couple of bars, transposed them in my head and tried them out, I've forgotten how they went.

troman

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 11:53:37 PM »

I use the Amazing Slow Downer which will allow you to change pitch without altering the tempo and vice versa.
Trevor
West Sussex, UK

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 12:38:07 AM »

I find the transposition and speed controls in programs which play ABC's very useful for this purpose.

None of the programmers appear so far to have incorporated integral USB or Bluetooth connections for

a) Beer dispenser to re-enforce muscle memory for correct playing

or

b) Rectal electrode to prevent muscle memory learning serial mistakes in playing.

Should the above become mandatory I shall no doubt need to change my sig to:
Twitching like Galvani's frog and dry as a bone from Broadland :||: ow  :||: ow :||: ow :||: ow  :||: ow :||: ow :||: ow
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Matt (Kings Norton)

• Respected Sage
  • West Midlands, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »

Amazing Slow Downer looks like the one for me as it takes recordings already on the device as its raw material and it has a Sliding scale for pitch so it would deal with my current situation of having music in Bflat that I want to play in g.  thank you!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:01:54 AM by matt vrs »

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 02:09:57 AM »

I use tempo slow app works good for me. you need to have a physical file on the Ipad you can not  work with cloud files unless you download. you can also so record direct which is good for lessons, teacher can play it speed and you can slowdown for learning.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

deltasalmon

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 03:08:34 AM »

I don't have an iPad. Haven't found a decent app for my android tablet but use audacity on PC all the time. Free and easily changes tempo or pitch (and I'm sure loads of other things)
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 03:19:29 AM »

For Android try Audio Speed Changer

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

CherzeduKbec

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 04:37:51 AM »

For Android try Audio Speed Changer

Stephen

Audio Speed Changer does not work for me on Android 4.4.2 (Galaxy Tab 8"). I use VLC  for Android to change the tempo without changing the pitch. Works for video and audio files.

Serge
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 07:22:29 AM by CherzeduKbec »

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:17:21 AM »

Last week I treated myself to Amazing Slowdowner for my iPad. I tried the free version first and found it good but only works on the first 2 mins of a track. Great to try it out though. I then upgraded and paid £10 for the full version. I think it's my only real app.....

You can bring in from you iTunes any track, slow it down and/or alter the pitch too. Great for a track I'm learning from a Brass Monkey cd where their brass players dictate it's in an unusual key. Slide the pitch slider in semitones until it's in the one you need. Great!

Anyone know of a similar app to slow down Youtube video's? That would also be useful.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 08:42:40 AM »

Anyone know of a similar app to slow down Youtube video's? That would also be useful.
Q

You can play YouTube videos at .5 or .25 speed by clicking on the Gear Wheels settings button and selecting the Speed drop down.

george garside

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »

Sticking my oar in as one more or less devoid of 'techy savvy'   I am not convinced that playing along with slowed recordings is all that beneficial for anything other than getting the right notes in the right order.

There are  many recordings of the same tune recorded by different bands/musicians  at different  speeds but crucially with  different phrasing  ,  long and short notes, gaps, dynamics etc etc.  Playing along with different versions of the same basic tune can be challenging,  fascinating and  a very useful learning experience.  It   is also a very a good way to hone listening skills

examples  include  Jimmy Shand's waltz  'welcome christmas morn' played by himself  and by Moore Music with a very different tempo

Keep your feet still Geordie Hinny played  as a song or as a march

The rowan tree played as  a 4/4  and as a3/4

and my favourite,  because of its improbability  and the way he makes it work,  is  Jimmy Shands  recording of a 'palais glide'  (a popular ballroom dance in the '30's & 40's)  using  the pipe march 'Burning sands of Egypt',  followed by 'swanea river'  and 'ken john peel!.  All adjusted and  seemlessly blended   to the same strict tempo 'palais glide' rhythm

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:03:57 AM »

Ahhhh thanks Lester, will investigate tonight.

George - getting the notes in the right order is exactly what I use it for.
The way I learn tunes is to get the dots right first, the tune speed and emphasis then comes later, so long as I'm confident in playing the right notes in the right order!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

tiny

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »

Is the slowdowner app the same  for an apple mac?  I might be able to work out  the Steven Universe tune this way.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Gromit

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 12:47:54 PM »

I use "Transpose" on a Mac (also available for Pc ) not free but very good. Quicktime used to slow stuff down but as far as I can see doesn't anymore

This works well and is/was free
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/anytune-slow-down-music-bpm/id415365180?mt=8
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:51:44 PM by Gromit »

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »

Q

You can play YouTube videos at .5 or .25 speed by clicking on the Gear Wheels settings button and selecting the Speed drop down.

But we will now discover the secrets of how Lester does it........ ;)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »

Tiny -  it should be available, but prices seem to vary according to device.
If it is available, try the free version first!

Pikey - yep tis all coming out!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »

This is a little off the discussion, but I practice by recording tunes with my mandolin and then playing along with the recording on my BC accordion.  This is mostly to try to increase speed and insure accuracy of the notes. It is also a way of practicing mandolin.  I also have a playlist on my ipod of slowed down recordings of tunes I am learning that I can practice along with on accordion. I use Transcribe!  I much prefer either method than to practice with a metronome. I do use a click track when I record the mandolin tracks. Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

OrchardAshley90

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »

I also use the amazing slowdowner I have it on both iPad and pc since for me playing with recordings is the only way I learn a tune since I can't read music. Or rather I have to be playing along with someone or something.

I found the slowdowner really useful for hard tunes, but you really want to be playing at full speed by the time you finish learning as said above. I use to struggle learning at full speed but this is a real useful programe

AirTime

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 02:59:22 PM »

I recently discovered this very simple feature on youtube/QuickTime - not sure if it's been mentioned on melnet before. It allows you to download a video from YouTube & then slow it down to half speed without altering the pitch. Very useful for learning a new tune by ear & sight.

In the youtube url, type in ss after the www. & before youtube. This opens a page called savefromnet. You can then download the video in a variety of formats (eg. MP4 720p). On my MAC it will download as a Quick Time clip. In Quick Time click on the WINDOW pull-down menu on go to Show A/V controls. A window will open that, among other things, allows you to slow the speed by 50% without altering the pitch.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal