Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new grill  (Read 2004 times)

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
new grill
« on: April 08, 2009, 11:09:20 PM »

Hello
I was wanting to make a new grill panel for my Mory , nothing wrong with the one that it came with but fancied a project over the summer at trying to replicate the old style of grill with the arch of radiating fins . So was wondering if anybody , mainly repair and restore folks out there, where I would go about getting the right sort of timber / ply . Its in cherry .I have already had to make an alternative end plate so I could have a longer air button to reach the palm of my hand as I play left handed or upside down as you might say , but that wasn't so visable regarding the wood matching . Anyway hope someone out there can help , thankyou Andy
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: new grill
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 11:50:02 PM »

I'm told there is an excellent supplier of tonewoods in Tonbridge (which isn't too far from you), I don't have details to hand at the moment but I'll do a bit of research and post details as and when I have them.

In the meantime you might consider contacting Martyn Banks at Oakwood Instruments in Leeds, he will have a decent stock of suitable quarter sawn timber and will no doubt be amenable to carrying out any thicknessing etc., you may require. Martyn is delightfully 'un-reconstructed' in technological matters and doesn't 'do' computers and the like so perhaps it's better to pick up the phone and chat to him in person. I'm pleased to say that after twenty odd years I can still rattle off the number. 01132 658585.

Bear in mind that Martyn doesn't do mornings either,  ::)  so don't call before 10.30 am ...

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:56:15 AM »

You probably need to use plywood if you want the fretwork to be stable and not prone to small pieces breaking off.  I'f you look at the original I think you'll find its ply veneered to match the rest of the box.  You need to veneer the inside surface too or the ply will warp.  Biggest problem will be finding a match to the rest of the box.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »

Hi,
Re new grill,  If you use birch faced ply at least 5ply,this should be available from a model shop,if you can get it aircraft grade.Cherry veneer from a craft supplies,use internet to scource.glue to ply as Theo says on both sides,if you have G cramps I would use 4.use PVA glue,slightly roughen surface of ply then apply glue,sread over surface the place onto veneer,repeat on other side and press onto veneer.place 2 thicker boards,one each side with 2 sheets of paper between veneer and boards,this to prevent glue seepage from sticking press boards to veneer,if the paper sticks it can be carefully be sandes.using g cramps at each corner apply pressure and leave over night.
Don't forget to make board over size to allow for fitting.

Hope this helps.

Pete.[Jillys husband,I'me a cabinet maker and woodmachinist]
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal