Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transposing keys  (Read 3442 times)

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
Transposing keys
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »

I have the music for a tune I would like to learn, its written in Gmin. How do I rewrite this to play on a DG or GC box?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Transposing keys
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »

First thing - is it really true G minor, with notes of both Bb and Eb in the tune, or is it one of the modal minors such as G dorian or G mixolydian? These are sometimes written with two flats in the key signature, but don't actually have any notes of Eb in them. This may affect the keys you can transpose to.

Assuming that it is true G minor, and that you don't have accidentals: for the D/G box, the easiest keys to transpose to would be Bm (which you can get on the D row of your D/G box) or E minor (which you can get on the G row). The melodic range of the tune might affect which one you choose - e.g. if the tune in G goes up to top Cnat, you'll probably be stuck for the equivalent note in Bm (E nat). Similar considerations apply if the tune goes down very low and you're transposing to Em.

For the G/C, the equivalent keys would be E minor on the G row and A minor on the C row.

If the tune is in a minor mode rather than true G minor, or if you have a half-row of accidentals, you would have other choices.

Steve

Open_G

• Good talker
  • Hohner Erica, Hohner 1 row, Tommy, Mignon
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:52:36 PM »

Easiest way (without thinking too much) is to type the tune out into something like Noteworthy Composer (the free trial version is fine) and then just get the computer to transpose it into any given number of keys and see what notes turn up in each version. I would suspect that Eminor or Aminor will be your best bets but not knowing the tune I may be wrong. (What tune is it?)
Squeezing with varying degress of success since 1995. -Clive

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:38:25 PM »

If you have the ABC then you could copy and paste using

http://www.8ung.at/abctransposer/index.html
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 03:52:38 PM »

Thanks everyone, Im working on it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal