Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Intermediate learning  (Read 1684 times)

arty

Re: Intermediate learning
« on: November 07, 2014, 12:31:15 PM »

Having started two and a half years ago with Mally's beginner book, I have loved every single hour I have spent learning. Now, I am just learning to play the tunes that I like as and when I hear them here on melodeon.net or on You Tube. Tune of the Month and Theme of the month is a great help in finding new pieces to learn.
I am finding that I miss the structured process of learning that Mally's book offered me as a beginner. I want to learn more about the melodeon, more about music, more about making chords on the treble side, how and when to use them etc., etc.. I would like some excercises to help my fingering and learning different rhythms etc. I have noticed that there seems to be quite a lot of this kind of information on the internet  from French teachers but it is so tiresome to, not only translate the French but also to transfer their instructions from a G/C to a D/G instrument. Do the French take their learning of an accordeon diatonique more seriously than the English?
Does anyone have any ideas? Is there an instruction book for intermediate players on a D/G instrument?
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »

Have you considered DVDs? There are good ones available by John Kirkpatrick and John Spiers (and probably others, but those by Squeezy and JK are the only ones of which I have personal experience).  JK's DVD is divided into three parts, which are aimed at beginner, intermediate and advanced melodeonists. John Spiers also covers some more advanced techniques including ornamentation, right hand fingering patterns and bellows control.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 03:28:55 PM »

There are good ones available by John Kirkpatrick and John Spiers (and probably others, but those by Squeezy and JK are the only ones of which I have personal experience).

Ooh yes, I've got both of these and they are both very good. 

One day I will get around to finishing of learning Squeezy's version of 'Waiting for the Federals', I think it must have dropped of my to-learn lists.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

arty

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »

Thank you Bob, I'll get JK's. I have John Spiers but I find I just watch the whole video for entertainment, whereas I should take it section by section. I must say, I would prefer a book which is so much easier to me.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:42:32 PM »

Those DVD's a worthwhile in any melodeon player's life!

With regards to structuring your learning progress, have you considered one-to-one tuition? It might help to give you some focus, and help to explain some of the more technical aspects of 'styling' and 'shaping' your sound :) I'd be willing to chat to you about the possibilities. I teach via Skype too, which many students (UK and internationally!) find very useful.

All the best, and happy playing!

Mel
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

arty

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:36:44 PM »

Thanks Mel, I'll give that some serious thought.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal