Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Early Jimmy Shand recordings  (Read 1869 times)

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
Early Jimmy Shand recordings
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »

Since we had a discussion about some of these (including Arthur's Seat) I've found that all the early recordings have been recently reissued on CD -- and you can listen to them all online (or even buy them :-) here...

http://electricscotland.allcelticmusic.com/artists/Jimmy%20Shand.html

-- all the early Beltona and Parlophone recordings, helpfully indexed here:

http://www.nigelgatherer.com/perf/music/shand.html

Cheers

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

HallelujahAl

Re: Early Jimmy Shand recordings
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:31:07 PM »

Ian thanks for this info - its a really great site - I'm astonished that we are able to listen to them all online for free.
Long Live the Shand  8)

AL

george garside

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »

The avvailability of these free tracks is brilliant  for those who are too tight to invest in a CD or two!  They are just the job for playing along with. My favourite tune (although I like them all) is track 10 on the parlaphone records The Laird of Drumblare which demonstrates perfectly  his absolute mastery of the instrument

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:38 PM »

The avvailability of these free tracks is brilliant  for those who are too tight to invest in a CD or two!  They are just the job for playing along with. My favourite tune (although I like them all) is track 10 on the parlaphone records The Laird of Drumblare which demonstrates perfectly  his absolute mastery of the instrument

george

What they do demonstrate is how fantastic a player he was before being forced into the strict tempo straightjacket of the RSCDS dance bands -- and you don't want to get me (and certainly not Gordon Potts) started about what a tragedy that was for Scottish music and dancing...

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal