Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handy, commonly used DG box chords  (Read 1832 times)

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
Handy, commonly used DG box chords
« on: November 27, 2014, 09:36:46 PM »

I  made a short video demonstrating some of the most useful DG melodeon chords using right and left hand - found an error in the editing and have taken it down. There will be another one along shortly...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:40:38 PM by gmatkin »

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
Re: Handy, commonly used DG box chords
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »

And this will be the link (it's still going up at the time of writing): http://youtu.be/swH3Msmejms

I hope it's useful to someone out there!

Gavin

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »

And this will be the link (it's still going up at the time of writing): http://youtu.be/swH3Msmejms

I hope it's useful to someone out there!

Gavin

It's marked private....
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »

Does your reply apply to the previous link I had to delete? It looks from here as though the new link is working. Sorry about having to pull the first one... and even this one isn't spotless, but still there might be something useful here.

Gavin

arty

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »

I hope you don't mind, this is meant as helpful criticism!

Having just received Ed Rennie's book about chords on the right side of the box, I was really interested to watch your video. But, I have to say that I am really disappointed, because I can't see much of what you are doing. It sounds good but your melodeon is tilted towards the floor a lot of the time and I can't see which buttons your fingers are on or indeed, which fingers you are using. Also, it is rushed, not enough time on each chord and not enough explanation.

Sorry to be so negative, I fully appreciate the time you must have spent on this and am grateful for it but for me, it seems like a quick run through, with little or no tuition and therefore not very helpful, which I presume is what you meant it to be.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »

I'm sorry you feel that way - playing in a sitting position without a strap, my box does tend to tilt a little. I did worry this would be a difficulty but there was also the issue that if I lowered the camera my knees would be in the way.

I do also find folks sometimes have trouble following my fingers because they move without lifting much, but that is how we're supposed to play...

Having looked at the video again there's a silly duplication of the C chord, but I can't see that visibility of the fingers is too much of a problem - they disappear mainly only at the end of the draw, and there is the information provided by the sound as well as the visual...

I wasn't aware of Ed's chord book until I came to post (I'd probably just forgotten about it) and this is not intended to eclipse his effort in any way - I made if for the folks who come to my workshops, and thought it might be be useful for other people.

Hopefully, folks who find these chords useful will be inspired to buy Ed's book and learn much more...

Gavin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:24:32 AM by gmatkin »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »

Just to remind that http://chrisryall.net/chords/ finds all chords on any melodeon, though transpose is boken just now. Plenty of presets …
  _       _    _      _ 

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 11:23:44 AM »

I didn't know about that either.

I /would/ say that using some of these chords can be highly effective and lots of fun - they can be used as stabs to add rhythmic drive, or legato for accompanying singing, for example - and I'd like to encourage folks to experiment with them, however they come to them.

G
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:24:34 PM by gmatkin »

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »

To back up Gavin's view - learning chords was the best thing I ever did on the instrument. Nothing makes for such easy variation on tunes, especially if you then extend to some inversions (I see Gav doing D both ways, albeit not what his fingers are doing ;))

eg Three noters, arpeggiate (break) the chord .. six ways of playing, plus another three picking pairs of notes, or the chord itself = 9 ways.  Plus up-and-downs.  If you use the same chord your left fingers are on it always works!

Or you can use a different chord set against your say C base .. feels more "out" .. loads of interest there too but we all start with 'in'
  _       _    _      _ 

gmatkin

• Gavin Atkin
    • Julieandhersqueeze.com
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:13:26 PM »

I can't really add much to that! Quite. It's about experimenting, finding what works and remembering to do the same next time...

G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal