Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon face  (Read 11216 times)

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
Re: Melodeon face
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 09:28:32 AM »

I want to do the swimming in Ribena thingy. Where do go Malcolm?
I don't get 'jigs'

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »

The River Riber in Pome?  ::)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 11:48:07 PM »

The River Riber in Pome?  ::)
haha! If only!
I don't get 'jigs'

HallelujahAl

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »

The River Riber in Pome? 

Don't you mean the Riber Piver in Tome?
AL (:)

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »

I say don't worry about the faces you make when you play!  Just remember to smile real big whenever you make a mistake!  That's what I do and it works for me.

Kay

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 09:48:29 PM »

why dont you where a balaclava mate? in two hundred years time "clava wearing box players maybe the new morris dancers???/
you would beet the credit crunch and stay warm too

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 10:32:42 PM »

The Ribena swimming tests in my case were in Maidstone swimming pool, can't recall the name (Arlington Bathes?) but as they were used all week for schools swimming it was neither in Ribena of pure water.

Too much thread drift: last night at our session I kept finding myself thinking what face am I making, then the fingers stop working and the I started scowling so I am of to practice the smile and enjoy it face which can't be any more difficult than trying to use 4 fingers on the bass side.
aka malodeon

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 10:39:34 PM »

The Ribena swimming tests in my case were in Maidstone swimming pool, can't recall the name (Arlington Bathes?) but as they were used all week for schools swimming it was neither in Ribena of pure water.

Too much thread drift: last night at our session I kept finding myself thinking what face am I making, then the fingers stop working and the I started scowling so I am of to practice the smile and enjoy it face which can't be any more difficult than trying to use 4 fingers on the bass side.

Trust me, it is. I have been playing various instruments in various settings for around 15 years and have never once looked as if I were enjoying myself...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2009, 09:03:30 AM »

Trust me, it is. I have been playing various instruments in various settings for around 15 years and have never once looked as if I were enjoying myself...

The important thing is...what faces are your audience making?

(:)
AL

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:06 AM »

Quote from: Malcolm Austen
last night at our session I kept finding myself thinking what face am I making, then the fingers stop working and the I started scowling

Now I wish I'd popped my head round the door after all - I'd like to have seen that! ;D

so I am of to practice the smile and enjoy it face which can't be any more difficult than trying to use 4 fingers on the bass side.

Which is easy, so no problem then :D Come down to the Waggon and Horses Thursday week and show us what you've learned  (:)

Meanwhile, back on topic...I have no idea what sort of faces I make as I play, but I think I alternate between smiling and 'concentrating very hard' depending on what and where I'm playing...agree with certain others though that the far off concentration look can be quite appealing!

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 04:19:58 AM »

I have been told that I look like I am sleeping whilst playing my squeezebox.

I often close my eyes and really get into the tune I am playing the same as I do when I am alone on my front porch.

I play during intermission at the local German Club which means that most people are not really paying attention to the music. There is all sorts of distraction including people wanting to carry on a conversation during my performance.

When I am playing with a group, I tilt my head to the left so that my ear is closer to the bellows. I was thinking of attaching a small microphone to the accordion and using a small amplifier connected to an earphone.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »

'Girning' (putting your head through a horse's halter and pulling grotesque faces) was once a popular rural pastime in Cumbria. A Cumbrian of my acquaintance unintentionally combines girning with playing the melodeon: when he plays, his face goes through more contortions than his melodeon. We rarely seem to notice what he is playing, being far more enthralled by his facial contortions. When it was pointed out to him, he said that he was aware of it and had tried playing with a straight face, but he discovered that if he stopped girning he couldn't play at all!  ::)
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

Ellie
We missed you (and Lester and Rob) at the session and as for the face you make I have no idea I try not to stare at people in pubs and in particular not at young ladies.
aka malodeon

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »

Ellie
We missed you (and Lester and Rob) at the session and as for the face you make I have no idea I try not to stare at people in pubs and in particular not at young ladies.
Sorry in Vienna again

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »

Does anybody else have a problem with the face they make while playing the melodeon?
I was reviewing my latest vids and noticed that when I'm playing from memory I tend to stare into the top righthand corner of the wall in front like I'm in a daze...is this the early signs of melodeon face? Will it get worse?

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »

It's a good sign - it means your brain is hard at work remembering (:) When my housemate and I play together (she on concertina), we generally sit on the sofa and stare off in opposite directions!  ::) So obviously one of us is making it up...

butterfingers

• Good talker
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 01:24:47 AM »

I too have experienced the comments of musical friends [I like the music but you've got to work on the face...something like "nice legs, shame about the face"...remember that song?]...recently I had a little breakthrough in my playing where I started to use the pads of the fingers to make the notes rather than hammering down from above with the fingertips...probably obvious to most readers, but I'm a slow learner...and using less bellows as well, trying to be aware of what notes require a shift in direction and whether to push/pull from the top or bottom...the facial tics have mostly disappeared [I've looked in the mirror, the picture ain't pretty but I'm no longer grinding my teeth]..I've found that sound [the clacking of the keys, and how to minimize it, has been a great help]...now I've got my fingers spread-eagled as much as possible on the right hand so I use the minimum effort to make the notes, and the left hand fingertips actually rest on the body of the instrument [single row pokerwork] at such an angle that I can only press hard enough to make the bass and chord...there are no pads on the stoppers, so I had to do something to get rid of the awful clacking, and as a side-product, the grinding of teeth...hope this helps, probably stating the obvious...

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

And I thought I was doing it WRONG by using the pads rather than fingerends!  :( I feel so much better now  ...  ..  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

tiny

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:39 PM »

I don't know if I use pads or fingertips rushing off to check. Is there a right and wrong?
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

tiny

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:43 PM »

checked........ I use finger pads 
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal