Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon face  (Read 11208 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Melodeon face
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »

I've never been photographed playing the melodeon (yet anyway!), but when fiddling I do a face that looks like "melodeon face". The question is "Did I have it before I started to play the melodeon?". Is it catching?
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Martin Duffy

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 10:56:42 PM »

I have a fiddlers face (oo-er!), and having only just taken up melodeon, appear to have a seperate melodeon face, which my partner finds frightening!  Thank the heavens we wear masks when morris dancing!

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »

I learned to sing while playing the melodeon to get rid of the face.  Now I've developed an Anglo concertina face that looks like a rabbit on speed chewing its lips

It's only when I play tunes that have become second nature that I can play with the Buddha face and a beatific smile
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2009, 01:22:06 PM »

I'm told I either look bored (vacant), scared or confused while playing.  Doesn't matter for Morris, but can lead to alienation of a ceilidh dance!  Usually countered at a gig by members of the band pulling faces at each other until we're all grinning like Cheshire Cats.  Beer usually helps.

Rob.

Folkiekay

• Good talker
  • Hyde Texas Rose
    • Street Squeeze
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »

Hi Rob,

I bet 90% of people look unhappy when they are playing melodeon - particularly without reading music.  It doesn't really matter in the long run, but when I play on the streets I have to smile a lot, so I'm becoming used to it.  Just be glad you don't drool.  I sometimes drool when I am off in my own little world playing melodeon.  Talk about embarrassing!!!!!!  I did the same thing when I was young playing piano and violin.  I'd get so carried away that I guess I wouldn't swallow and would drool on the violin or piano keys, and it was always awful!  Usually when I drool, someone is watching and witnesses this embarrassing phenomenon.  Ah well.....in 100 years nobody will remember.

Kay

butterfingers

• Good talker
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009, 12:20:30 AM »

Speaking of drool reminded me of an old friend from Newfoundland, a great player of 2 and 3 row Hohners who actually chewed on the top of the bellows while playing...a super smooth musician with both right hand and left, the only marks of wear on the bellows were on the top...the strain of concentration necessary for playing the "musical typewriter" finds an outlet in many different ways...also a friend who played cajun style whose foot unfortunately didn't really keep time, was more reminiscent of a dog scratching a flea...in one case you couldn't see the face, the other I think the fellow seemed quite relaxed [as long as you didn't look at his foot]...

HallelujahAl

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »

Fortunately I only drool in my sleep! However, I'm now developing the 'wedding photo face' as an adjunct to my melodeon playing. The only thing is, I have to 'fix it on' before I sling the melodeon over my shoulder. That's the only way I can find to maintain it.

Some folk really scowl a lot when they play - have you noticed? My four year-old daughter at last years Whitby attended the family folk club one night - a venerable member of this forum was doing a set and afterwards my daughter questioned me as to 'why the man with the accordion was so angry'. I had to explain that he wasn't angry, but in fact 'concentrating', now whenever I get angry she often says to me 'daddy, are you concentrating or are you angry?' Perhaps we should have a melodeon face emoticon? Actually, he may very well have been angry - we were a pretty poor audience!
AL :D

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 01:58:39 AM »

The other day I was told that I looked constipated when I played the melodeon... I've also been compared to someone giving birth (that was with a particularly nasty one in Bmin that I've since got the hang of, the bellows were so out of synch with the tune it did my head in)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Susanne

• Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »

I don't think I do too bad faces when playing the box but I know I do when I play the mandolin or fiddle. In one of my fiddling pictures I look like something from a horror movie. Mostly I just look VERY serious or even angry and always looking down.... I've learned to live with it but try to look happy and cheerful...

HallelujahAl

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »

I've also been compared to someone giving birth (that was with a particularly nasty one in Bmin that I've since got the hang of, the bellows were so out of synch with the tune it did my head in)

'Birth in B minor' would be a brilliant song title wouldn't it?
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2009, 08:07:56 PM »

I was watching back a vid i recorded and noticed my lips were moving on closer inspection i was mouthing the button numbers. Lol
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal