Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Song that is good for a first time rounder while only playing base notes  (Read 1522 times)

mr hohner

• Regular debater
  • K.BLAND Melodeons

I would like to start singing when I play melodeon but have never really tried it before. If anyone has any simple but good preforming tunes that would be ideal for this then I would love to know of them. Sheet Music though please!!!
Cheer
Mr hohner
Castagnari Studio D/G, Serenelli D/G, Hohner Pokerwork D/G, Castagnari Lilly D/G , Sandpiper Dublin II G/C, Serenelli Silyvia G/Acc

robotmay

Re: Song that is good for a first time rounder while only playing base notes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »

I've been trying out sea shanties recently as a way of learning to sing, and 'Leave her, Johnny' is a pretty nice and simple one. I started learning it after hearing the great version by "Five Men in a Boat". I believe they're singing it in D so that's what I've transposed it to (and it's comfortable for me too). The basses can be nice and simple: Em - D - Em - Am - Bm - D etc

X:180
T:Leave her Johnny
B:Singing Together, Summer 1968, BBC Publications
F:http://www.folkinfo.org/songs
M:2/4%Meter
L:1/16%
Q:1/4=60
K:Dmaj
(DE) |F2F2 (FE)(DE) |F2(FE) D4 |E2E2 E3D | F2 A4
w:I_ thought I heard_ the_ skip-per_ say, Leave her John-ny, leave her!
A2 |B2B2 A2F2 |F2(FE) D2A2 |F3D F3E | E2 D4 |]
w:"To-mor-row you will get your_ pay;" It's time for us to leave her.

There's a bunch of different lyrics over on Mainly Norfolk. I've been trying to learn the FMIAB version but the single verse in Norwegian might be a bit beyond my grasp ;D

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 07:48:20 PM »

Any song you like, singable* in G, D, Em, Am etc. Actually the same goes for Gm, Dm E  and A if you are only to drone basses!

In the longer term look to learning and being fluent in right end chording - more elegant and more fun

the trick is to "lay down" one bass or chord, at most 2 and sing against that. Push-pulling and singing … well, I breath with the box ;) Also "playing tune" is rather dull, and difficult. Don't go there.

[ed] *singable means "to suit your voice/range. Don't go outside there either. The voice is more important than the instrument in song, which is why simple accompaniment tends to be good.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:28:54 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:45:52 PM »

Be very careful with your key choice. I tried to sing "Sweet Chiming Bells" last night and found myself almost screeching on the top notes.  :|bl Because the dots were in "F", I though that one tone up wouldn't matter. It did and painfully too.  :Ph

Chris B.

PS. RH Chords and arpeggios (arpeggii?)  are good too.

C.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »

"arpegios" .. it is as per the EIEIOs in the well known British ditty ;)
  _       _    _      _ 

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »

John Kirkpatrick does a great version of 'peas beans oats and barley', which although sounds best with a one-row, could easily be accompanied on the D row of your two row or with the D/A bass. It's on Spotify. I too am getting the hang of singing and playing (it's tricky) but the knack seems to be to vamp a bit with chords, or two note harmonies, like you do when strumming the guitar. The main thing to avoid is playing the same notes that you are singing; the idea is to harmonise your box with your voice. And when you are trying also to remember the lyrics you have a lot to think about. 'All for my grog' is another good song. I've performed (I use that word loosely in this context) Kirkpatrick's wassail song a couple of times and it has improved with each outing.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »

I've always started beginners off onn "Grand old Duke of York", which is very one row-y. Though, to think of it so is EIEIO ::)

Are you of the skiffle age? Old Lonney Doneghan stuff is mostly 2 chord - which is what a lot of this is about? eg Battle of New Orleans.h
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal