Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for a single-row melodeon beginner  (Read 16019 times)

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
  • Squeezing out Polkas on my Club Accordion.
Tips for a single-row melodeon beginner
« on: December 03, 2014, 01:10:19 AM »

Hello, I have some questions about playing the single-row melodeon.

Recently, I have purchased a Weltmeister single-row in C, and I have been able to sound out several songs. I also have several tutorial books, but I feel they aren't enough. I figured that I would come here for some help, after lurking here for a bit.

Specifically, I am interested in playing Polkas, Waltzes, and Obereks. Having messed around on the melodeon for a bit, I have been able to improvise polkas, but the bass buttons and upper octave are a bit of an issue.

When I go to the upper octave, my thumb slips out, causing me some issues with playing notes up there.

The basses, according to books, seem to say that they are in sync with the right hand. This seems oddly difficult, despite being able to play the piano with both hands, with ease. I assume the basses come with practice, so I assume this isn't exactly a big deal.

The bellows seem to be a problem on some songs. For example, I have a sequence of all push/pull notes, and either the bellows are too far out, or they are pressed against the right-hand side. I also assume the bellows skill comes with practice.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Mundinger Diaton III Grand Luxe C/F Club

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Tips for a single-row melodeon beginnerr
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 01:40:49 AM »

Hi Happy,
Welcome!
sounds like you need to adjust thumb strap.
or maybe use shoulder strap.
the rest does come with practice.
and visits here to listen to more experienced players.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
Re: Tips for a single-row melodeon beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »

Take a look at this to see the benefits of 2 shoulder straps, note the bellows movement, it's quite economical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOAIrPXh_Hc

Put in  one row melodeon as a search on Y-tube, there's loads more examples.
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

xgx

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 10:09:32 AM »

There's a good one by one of MelNet's stalwarts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ598TBtOhY

Graham

deltasalmon

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:58 AM »

http://youtu.be/ocCwzvSHXpE

Example of a very capable one row player (and maker) playing with zero shoulder straps.

Two straps, one strap or zero straps, it all comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.

Also possible influence from the musical tradition you are following.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 12:40:38 PM »

Québécois players also don't use straps but balance the box on the knee - here's a good example: http://youtu.be/VwltqwDCGKk

Many of them use both the right and as well as the left hand for rhythmic emphasis.

As for the bellows getting too far out or running out of air: this is what your air button is for. You need to learn to use it almost constantly, making many little adjustments (little sips of air) to keep the bellows where you need them for the coming phrases. As you progress you'll find you can naturally do this not only during little silences, but while playing notes, without robbing the reeds of all the air they need to sound properly.

xgx

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »

Hi Stiamh
1er tune name svp
Graham

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 01:39:32 PM »

A quick phone call to my oracle elicited the information that most people today know this as Le Reel de Gaspé. The fashionable third part is the first part of a setting of Monymusk widely played in Québec. Recorded by Isidore Soucy but under a different name.

http://www.mustrad.udenap.org/tounes/TQ018_reel_de_gaspe.html

Now back to your usual programming.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:41:06 PM by Stiamh Jones »

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »

get in the habit of using your little finger as soon as you can...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

Play the C major scale in the low octave (buttons 3 - 6),
then in the higher octave (buttons 6 - 10). You'll have to change finger position.

Then add the basses:
melody note + bass note, next melody note + chord and so on.

After that play the scale over two octaves.
Play the scales really slow.

That is what helped me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 02:57:30 PM by TomBom »

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »

Thank you for the tips! I have been trying to use my little finger (I have only been playing for 4 days so far, except for having an iPod one-row melodeon app for months before), however, it seems a bit slow at times, but again, I assume it comes with practice. I actually don't mind the thumb strap. My melodeon doesn't have strap brackets anyway.

I am unsure if I got the right key for Polish and German polkas though. My melodeon is in the key of C, and it seems very capable of playing many songs. But I have noticed I have to fake the black piano keys, by pressing the same button twice. This happens a bit on the Beer Barrel Polka. Is it okay to do this?

I have been playing songs by ear, since I cannot read music at all. However, I have noticed that chords are quite simple compared to the piano. On the melodeon, it seems pressing the two buttons next to each other make a chord (I could be wrong however). Overall, I guess all I need to do is practice.

I have a bit of an issue with my left hand on the basses. They seem to go to the speed I am moving the bellows, not to the rhythm of the song. But I also get pain in my left hand, and my two fingers (my index and little finger) that press the bass buttons on occasion. Am I doing something wrong? I am pressing my middle and ring finger in between the bass buttons, and I press my thumb behind the bass keyboard. Am I doing this right? I assume I should focus on building up a bass muscle-memory?

I have noticed that it is harder to play when stressed about playing (does this make any sense?)

I also have a fear, which I do not know if it is irrational or not. I am afraid of accidentally moving the bellows without pressing a button. Many videos I have watched warn you not to move the bellows without a button pressed. I am afraid that when I am playing, I will accidentally move the bellows without pressing a button. Is this possible to do this by accident?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:16:29 PM by The Happy Wanderer »

Sebastian

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »

I assume it comes with practice.
Yes.

I am unsure if I got the right key for Polish and German polkas though.
You have.

But I have noticed I have to fake the black piano keys, by pressing the same button twice. This happens a bit on the Beer Barrel Polka. Is it okay to do this?
On a one-row you have no other choice. The Beer Barrel Polka uses some accidentals for embellishment that are simply not there. (This has nothing to do with the key of the box.)

But I also get pain in my left hand, and my two fingers (my index and little finger) that press the bass buttons on occasion. Am I doing something wrong?
No.

I am pressing my middle and ring finger in between the bass buttons, and I press my thumb behind the bass keyboard. Am I doing this right?
Yes.

I have noticed that it is harder to play when stressed about playing (does this make any sense?)
Yes.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 04:28:33 PM »

get in the habit of using your little finger as soon as you can...

Can of worms alert! But yes, Baz, I agree with you 100%.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 05:15:08 PM »

Is improvising polkas and waltzes good for practice? Also, what do I do when I have a sore shoulder? This has happened to me after playing, and I assume the bellows caused it. Is it because the bellows are new, thus, they are stiff? Or am I using the bellows wrong? Perhaps I am practicing too long? I tend to practice for hours on end, with little rest. Is this a good idea?

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 05:35:15 PM »

You might well be practising for too long at a stretch. Take it easy in the early stages!

That said, there are ways of using the bellows efficiently which can greatly reduce the amount of strain and fatigue you experience - especially in the early stages. Have a look at the video clip of Réjean Simard that I linked to earlier. Great economy of movement. If you are playing with the box resting on your knee, you may find it helpful to keep the front bottom edge of the bellows practically closed, using it as a kind of hinge around which you open the rest of the bellows.

Here's an explanation of that approach, albeit on a 3-row box (2½, strictly): http://youtu.be/DTZjeiqFbAA

george garside

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 07:37:16 PM »

Is improvising polkas and waltzes good for practice? 

Not sure what you mean by 'improvising'  - certainly 'playing' waltzes, polkas or any  type of tunes you enjoy is good for practice

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »

When I say improvising, I mean I am making up a fake song as I play. I am playing something that sounds like a polka or waltz, but it isn't a real song, since I am making it up while I am playing. I guess you could say I am just goofing around, but trying to make it sound like a polka or waltz.

One thing with the air button is that I cannot seem to find it sometimes. I assume this is one thing that comes with practice? I am afraid I might accidentally break the air button off, since my palm isn't centered on it. Is that possible?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:33:44 AM by The Happy Wanderer »

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »

Not usually on to blow my own 1 Row but there are lots of videos here:

Lester's Tune Blog - Index by Instrument

george garside

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 08:11:42 PM »

I am playing something that sounds like a polka or waltz, but it isn't a real song, since I am making it up while I am playing. 

I suppose that's much like what 'composers' do when they are 'thinking up''  a new tune!!

george  >:E ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

The Happy Wanderer

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »

Thank you for the link Lester. I have actually been watching you, Jan Anders Andersson, and several other melodeonists on Youtube for several months. I see you have done several polkas and waltzes for the one-row melodeon.

I have a question, is it safe to shake the bellows when pulling or pushing, to create a similar effect to bellows shaking on a PA?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:30:50 AM by The Happy Wanderer »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal