Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Missing Link  (Read 3242 times)

WestOz

• Regular debater
The Missing Link
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:51:04 AM »

The "Buy And Sell" link, formerly on the right of the Home page no longer appears?
Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: The Missing Link
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »

That list is automatically ordered by number of posts.  I've been tidying up the buy and sell forum by moving old posts to the "completed sales" forum or if more appropriate to "instrument makes and models".
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:50:54 AM »

It would appear that the "Buy and Sell" link only becomes accessible after signing in.
In other words, subscribers only.
Is that the intention, Theo?

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 11:19:49 AM »

Not sure what you mean Malcolm.   The list on the right hand side of the home page "Forum Top Boards"  is as I explained above.  The buy and sell forum itself is visible to guests as well as members.   Are you looking at a different link?

Theo
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:01 AM »

http://forum.melodeon.net/

Screen shot attached....
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

The Forum Top Boards panel shows the top ten boards by post count. Since Theo, sensibly in my view, split the Buy and Sell board into three (B&S, Completed, Stolen) the B&S board itself no longer makes the top ten as there are more posts in the Completed board.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 12:00:50 PM »

Lester has explained it more clearly than I did, thanks Lester.

I'm still puzzled by Malcom seeing a link when he is signed in but not as a guest? 
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »

Thanks, Lester and Theo. I understand the explanation, but it seems to have made things a bit more difficult.
It doesn't really matter much to me personally as I can sign in to view posts, but it was brought to my attention by a non-member here in Oz.

So, what does a non-member have to do (i.e. what url to use) to view the B & S pages? (Other than to subscribe, of course ::))

Entering into the Google address bar <forum.melodeon.net/index.**********etc.> (e.g. the Forum Home url or the B & S url) or, indeed, connecting via bookmarked links to such urls seems to generate a 404 error....The only page that we can easily access is <forum.melodeon.net> which no longer lists the B & S link on the right, hence the difficulty.

As I said, not of earth shattering importance to me, but just trying to help out a fellow melodeon player looking to trade up. We're probably missing a simple solution, but it just escapes me at the moment.... (Christmasitis has set in!!!)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 10:58:18 AM by Malcolm Clapp »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 11:49:23 AM »

Hi Malcolm

I logged out to test this and found I could access all of the pages that you mentioned. I can browse all the forums including buy and sell.  What I can't go as a guest is to post messages, or contact members.
I think your friend's problem is to do with their own browser. I suggest you reset the browser by clearing cache, history, and cookies and try again.  If you/he is using a home wifi then restarting the router might be required if resetting the browser doesn't work.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

steverh

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »

I fell into the same trap, WestOz, but didn't like to show my lack of navigating skill when the B&S vanished. I now understand, thanks to the foregoing explanations, and simply access it through Forum Home and Discussions, which I could have done in the first place. You live and learn, or in my case possibly not. It's all too much for us simple country folk.

Malcolm Clapp

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 02:52:21 AM »

What I can't go as a guest is to post messages, or contact members.

We realise that, and not an issue.

Strangely, the urls containing the word "index" are today once again working (no 404s), including the previously inaccessible "forum home", so the relevant pages now bookmarked for future use and direct access.

As you suggested, it may have been a local problem, but it affected both his and my computers, which is odd; different server and OS. However, appreciate your advice and will clean up the browsers just in case....a good habit to get into.

Thanks again for your help, and have a great Christmas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal