Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Graeme's button box workshop  (Read 29384 times)

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
  • B/C/C# Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeze
    • Graeme's homepage
Re: Graeme's button box workshop
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

A postcard from Aviemore
Black Shand Morino

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2009, 06:27:24 PM »

A fine looking shower of rogues if ever I saw one  ;D. Do they sound as good as they look?

Graeme

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2009, 07:01:20 PM »

Terrific picture - now where is the video of the playing?
I don't get 'jigs'

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 10:37:35 PM »

Well, I'm just back and unpacked after Graeme's button box workshop. I'm a bit hesitant to post a report, because when I say what a great time we had, there might be such a stampede for the next one that I might not get a place myself!

In truth, it was a first-class event. The tuition, the company and the location were all outstanding. Graeme and his grandfather Jim Mackay (band leader and accordion teacher of long standing) provided excellent tuition to a group of mixed abilities on the BC/BCC# box - thinking about it, they gave us such a lot in a relatively short time.

It was a real pleasure to meet the other Melnet members on the course, and the whole group got on very well together. The hotel provided good facilities and food - a good value package - and there were music sessions in the bar every night for those who could stand the pace!

It was good fun trying other accordions. There were plenty to chose from. In the group were 6 Hohner Shand Morinos, 2 belonging to students and 4 belonging to the Mackays, including Will Starr's black one, now owned by Jim Mackay. We were allowed to play it, and I have a photo as a souvenir. (Strangely, the emblematic instrument didn't improve my playing). No two people had the same type of box - see the photo - so examining and trying them provided great interest.

Another very pleasant surprise for us was a new tune composed for the event by Strad of this group, a well-known Shetland fiddler and composer. "Bee Cee In Aviemore" was very well received, and I like to think that we made a reasonably good job of it when it was recorded. It might make it on to YouTube.

So a very successful first event for BC/BCC# players; a good time was had by all. I'm not actually worried about getting a place on the next event (Graeme said there will be one), as I fully expect Graeme to give booking preference to "founder members". I'm very pleased to have been one of them.

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »

Mike has the video footage so will hopefully see it on youtube soon.

Everyone on the workshop did remarkably well.  All the players were at different levels of ability but ended up being able to share the same couple of tunes at the end of the weekend.  Well done to you all and here's to the next one. It was a pleasure to meet you all.

For those who weren't there, the venue looked after us really well.  Comfort & value for money was amazing.  The function room was the perfect classroom, even if the bar was closed all weekend  :P  Being next to the railway Station and just off the A9, the accessability is great.  Everyone agreed to use it again for the next one which we thought we can do in 6 months time to give everyone a chance to practice and progress.  I'm looking at March for the next one.  I'll discuss dates with the hotel and get back to melnet with them in the next couple of weeks.

Those who attended will get 1st refusal, but there is space for more even if they all go.

Cheers

Graeme
Black Shand Morino

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »

March, eh? It's possible, plus I might have learned how to play BCC# by then :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2009, 06:52:21 PM »

The weekend in Aviemore was terrific. How Graeme and Jim coped with the wide range of ability, styles and people is a great testament to them both. I'm not too keen on recommending the next weekend too highly in case there is no place for me.

I got back very late last night and had an early start at work this morning so I hope that you can cope with the lack of the video yet, it will come I promise.

The first activity of playing a tune as a solo was the undoing of a few of us. Tunes, that at home are easy peasey, became fiendishly difficult in public. It was comforting for me that this panic wasn't just true for me and that we were all in the same boat together.

Thanks Graeme and Jim and all the Aviemore BCC#ers for your friendship and encouragement.
Mike from Ponte Caffaro

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »

Don't work too hard, you might put me out of a job  ;D

I got back very late last night and had an early start at work this morning so I hope that you can cope with the lack of the video yet, it will come I promise.

No rush on the video.  I don't know how you would have coped at work, I've been floored all day!!  Just getting ready now for another hard night in the Cairngorm!  Think I might move there!
Black Shand Morino

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2009, 02:49:44 PM »

Don't work too hard, you might put me out of a job  ;D

Hah. I pick things up fast, but not that fast :P

I've only been practising BCC# for a few hours total and I'm a little disorientated by running out of fingers. That hasn't happened on D/G for YEARS. Plus I'm having to change my hand posture and get used to different row changes (especially going from B to C#) which will take a while.

I can play in E though, which is a joy.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

graememackay

• Graeme Mackay
    • Graeme's homepage
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2009, 03:18:16 PM »

Thats where the finger crossing comes in.  Keep your fingers on the keyboard, dont life them too high, and try not to use the same finger for 2 different buttons.

What seemed to help the guys at the weekend the most, was learning the scales & the 4 finger chords for each key.
Black Shand Morino

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2009, 07:32:10 PM »

Sounds like the course was fantastic. What tunes did you work on?

Graeme

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »

Graeme
Graeme,
The workshop was more about how to play the BCC# box better (whatever your starting point) rather than learning tunes, so it had a different slant from Fergie's course. So scale fingering - C, G, D, A - and major chords were practised. "Leaving Lismore" in G was used as a vehicle to practise efficient fingering, as was "Coming Through the Rye". Everybody worked on tune(s) of their own choice and were guided towards good fingering and phrasing. We all learned Nigel's new tune "Bee Cee in Aviemore", and it was a good vehicle to practise starting positively and together; and good fun as well.

Bill

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »

The first activity of playing a tune as a solo was the undoing of a few of us. Tunes, that at home are easy peasey, became fiendishly difficult in public. It was comforting for me that this panic wasn't just true for me and that we were all in the same boat together.

It is somewhat of a relief to me to hear that even accomplished players have this experience   :|||: :|||:
I don't get 'jigs'

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »

Graeme
Graeme,
The workshop was more about how to play the BCC# box better (whatever your starting point) rather than learning tunes, so it had a different slant from Fergie's course. So scale fingering - C, G, D, A - and major chords were practised. "Leaving Lismore" in G was used as a vehicle to practise efficient fingering, as was "Coming Through the Rye". Everybody worked on tune(s) of their own choice and were guided towards good fingering and phrasing. We all learned Nigel's new tune "Bee Cee in Aviemore", and it was a good vehicle to practise starting positively and together; and good fun as well.

Bill

Ah I see. It was one of the workshops that I would mentally class as "particularly useful" then  ;D

HallelujahAl

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2009, 06:13:06 PM »

« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 08:28:04 PM by HallelujahAl »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Graeme's Dark Secret!!!
Wonder where he got the idea from?
 ;D

HallelujahAl

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »

A Grittite Starr is Born - playing Will Starr's Shand Morino, will the MADness never stop?

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2009, 11:28:54 PM »

He wasn't the only one!

HallelujahAl

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2009, 07:15:34 AM »

It appears that Starr's Morino was willing to be played by just about anyone last weekend!
 ;D

Note the toilet sign - a subtle reference to the way I played it I think!

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal