Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Muting a Lilly test  (Read 3984 times)

gettabettabox

Re: Muting a Lilly test
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 01:10:32 AM »

I think I have found the perfect way of toning down the sound though, by simply leaving mine at Lester's house some 50 miles away the shrillness is greatly reduced, in fact you can hardly hear her at all unless the wind is in a certain (I won't say 'the right') direction  >:E

By the marvels of modern science

one needs decent headwear, gnome style, to play a silly small box. (smiley here)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 01:19:43 AM by gettabettabox »

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »

My hearing is somehow attuned to those high frequencies to the point I start howling at dog whistles....well maybe not that much, but the Lilly does get a bit 'piercing' at times.   I have begun wishing  my only DG box was an LMM (or even an LM) and my Lilly was GC...because I am rather fond of that little box otherwise!

Maybe muting is a bit of a strong word.  But de-shrilling didn't sound right  :P

The little experiment still has my interest.  I have some time coming up this week to experiment some more, maybe with a static volume/sensitivity recording device with photos of the setup, and audio overlay, instead of a video of the playing.
Weltmeister GC MMM, Hohner "Morgane" GC, Paolo Soprani 19 button 3 Voice AD, Castagnari "Lilly" DG, ~1930's Hohner "1926 Philadelphia Grand Prix" Eb/B, ~1930's Hohner one row "A", 1950's Hohner Club II CF (Declubbed), 1950's Hohner Erica GC

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »

My G/C Lilly rocks.

Blutack under one corner may help Rees - cured my bench lamp a treat....................................
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 02:22:48 PM »

If you're trying to mute a Lily, you have either bought the wrong melodeon or you're attempting to play a wrong choice of tune.

Certain tunes sound better on different types of melodeon. A Lily is fast and bright and don't have the tone and depth of sound required for slower tune for instance.
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »

I have two lily's DG & AD and I agree with George Garside if you want them quieter " don,t squeeze so hard".
Yes they can be loud and bright, but I also play the majority of my repertoire of airs around 10 of them on the Lily's as well as  Irish Polka.s  reels etc I find them very versatile little boxes

george garside

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »

I agree  ,  they dynamic qualities of a lilly , particularly when   when  just using treble are great for airs. Its all down to sensitive bellowing!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

I learned feathering of notes on my Lily and you can take them down to … almost nothing. I've not had a box since more controllable. So I think it's bellows too  :|glug
  _       _    _      _ 

AirTime

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2014, 12:51:30 AM »

I definitely think a Lilly is a better bet in something other than DG.

The Lilly produces a very "on/off" sound, so bellows control is paramount. Ironically, I find the trickiest thing about my Lilly is the fact that it's so light - the treble end tends to bounce around when you're playing because it's got so little heft to it.
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.

george garside

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2014, 12:59:17 AM »

''on off'' and the treble end  '' bouncing around''  is indicative of rather more vigerous bellowing than  Chris or I have  advocated.

george ;)
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

jerfish

• Jeremy
  • Regular debater
  • Musical Adventurer
    • Jerfish
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2014, 03:05:43 AM »

If you're trying to mute a Lily, you have either bought the wrong melodeon or you're attempting to play a wrong choice of tune.

Certain tunes sound better on different types of melodeon. A Lily is fast and bright and don't have the tone and depth of sound required for slower tune for instance.

no, this was more of an experiment after seeing videos online of a larger Castagnari with a cloth over the grill, and a desire to see the effects of materials after seeing said video.  I chose the Lilly because, with it's loudness and brightness, I figured it would be a good test subject  (:)
Weltmeister GC MMM, Hohner "Morgane" GC, Paolo Soprani 19 button 3 Voice AD, Castagnari "Lilly" DG, ~1930's Hohner "1926 Philadelphia Grand Prix" Eb/B, ~1930's Hohner one row "A", 1950's Hohner Club II CF (Declubbed), 1950's Hohner Erica GC
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal