Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: For lovers of Stephane Delicq  (Read 10233 times)

Grape Ape

Re: For lovers of Stephane Delicq
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 06:26:17 PM »

Can anyone explain the tablature that Stephane Delicq wrote out for himself?  The numbers do not seem to correspond to buttons like most french tablature does-  I have been enjoying learning his tunes, but can't find tablature for very many of them, and it is the system I prefer to use as I can only learn so much by ear, and cannot read music except for the rhythm.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 06:48:12 PM »

The red highlights on chords are for push, blue for pull (sometimes reversed on some manuscripts). Numbers are buttons on the ones I've seen. Underscore for inner row. And a helpful ~ for using the same button in different directions for different pitches. If there's something else he's using elsewhere that you don't get, upload a snippet and I'll try to help decipher it for you.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »

Sorry to contradict P&T but I think you'll find that the numbers in the circles refer to the finger on the right hand to use. So, the thumb is 1 and the pinkie is 5. However, sometimes he marks the index finger as 1, so be careful. It's all common sense really but he does vary a bit. I presume it was something he did quickly during the writing process and didn't always do the same thing.
One of the delights of Stephane's music, unsurprisingly, is that it all fits on a 2 row perfectly.

Good luck Grape Ape - if you get stuck, PM me and I will always do my best to help.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2016, 09:08:03 PM »

I've obviously seen different things, perhaps not by his hand at all - there were no numbers in circles on the ones I've seen. Arty may well have more extensive encounters with Delicq's hand written stuff.
Arty - have a look at the hand written Princesse Blanche commonly available on Google. Is that his writing?

WARNING - when searching Princesse Blanche Delicq, and you find the image, just VIEW IMAGE, rather than VISIT PAGE.
That link opened a bunch of other web pages - all probably innocuous, but better safe than sorry.

arty

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 09:46:57 PM »

Hi P&T.... http://accoules.free.fr/diato/partoches/Delicq%20-%20la%20Princesse%20Blanche.jpg

it certainly looks like his, or at least like others that I know are his. In this particular instance, the numbers are not 'in circles' but definitely refer to the finger to use and not the button. I have several printed sheets of different Delicq tunes, which put the numbers in circles.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Grape Ape

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »

The song in question os La Discrete.  I can't find the link now, but have it printed, but it looks kind of like this:

http://accoules.free.fr/diato/partoches/Delicq%20-%20les%20amiti%E9s.pdf

I can read normal french tab rather easily, but this alludes me. 

arty

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »

Grape Ape, the example you show, is not what I understand to be Tabs.

This is sheet music....the numbers shown are telling you which finger you should be using to play each note. They are NOT telling you which button the note is on.

Grape Ape

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2016, 12:05:20 AM »

Arty, that is a what I thought.  Doesn't help me much, as I can't read music, and don't know which note I am playing except on the bass end.  I want to learn, but with no teacher, being 44yrs old, a father of a four year old, and a guy who works a lot, I don't think I will soon.  Also I play boxes in almost every key.  If anyone knows where I can find tab for La Discrete, or can help me create it, I would be most obliged.  I have already learned Nadeija, and Valse poir Michel, and am working on Vivre (but struggling), and would love to add this to the mix.  The other I can't find anything tab or otherwise to is La Femme du Marbre

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLJxbcr7yo

Might be one of my favorites.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 12:07:14 AM by Grape Ape »

playandteach

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2016, 01:12:40 AM »

Hi P&T.... http://accoules.free.fr/diato/partoches/Delicq%20-%20la%20Princesse%20Blanche.jpg

it certainly looks like his, or at least like others that I know are his. In this particular instance, the numbers are not 'in circles' but definitely refer to the finger to use and not the button. I have several printed sheets of different Delicq tunes, which put the numbers in circles.
Guess I should have looked more closely - I don't actually use the tab - just the music, so I didn't check too efficiently. It wouldn't be much good me doing the tab as I have reversals. I'll help if I can. I've written out the sheet music for La Femme, but I guess that's not too much help here.

JM

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2016, 01:59:45 AM »

Riding the Delicq wave here, does anyone have any sheet music//tabs etc for "l'inattendue"?

arty

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2016, 07:35:35 AM »

Riding the Delicq wave here, does anyone have any sheet music//tabs etc for "l'inattendue"?

Hopefully, this will be it JM
http://www.organetto.info/archivio/file/0018_mazina_info.gif

arty

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2016, 08:14:05 AM »

Arty, that is a what I thought.  Doesn't help me much, as I can't read music, and don't know which note I am playing except on the bass end.  I want to learn, but with no teacher, being 44yrs old, a father of a four year old, and a guy who works a lot, I don't think I will soon.  Also I play boxes in almost every key.  If anyone knows where I can find tab for La Discrete, or can help me create it, I would be most obliged.  I have already learned Nadeija, and Valse poir Michel, and am working on Vivre (but struggling), and would love to add this to the mix.  The other I can't find anything tab or otherwise to is La Femme du Marbre

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LnLJxbcr7yo

Might be one of my favorites.

Grape Ape, hopefully, if you click on this link: http://www.moelan-a-vent.fr/?page_id=1633
Look at 'Tablatures' then 'Danse traditionelle' then 'Mazurka', you will find the tabs to La Femme du Marbre and several other Stephane Delicq tunes. That'll keep you busy!

arty

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »

I think I have found Tabs for La Discrete! Actually, I don't know if this is what you know as Tabs but at least it tells you what buttons to press for each note. As you probably already know, 'P' is for push and 'T' is for pull. It doesn't actually tell you on which row though, although playing the correct basses will determine that most of the time.
Hope this helps Grape Ape!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:36:15 AM by arty »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »

I think I have found Tabs for La Discrete! Actually, I don't know if this is what you know as Tabs but at least it tells you what buttons to press for each note. As you probably already know, 'P' is for push and 'T' is for pull. It doesn't actually tell you on which row though, although playing the correct basses will determine that most of the time.
Hope this helps Grape Ape!

This is written in CADB tablature, which does tell you which row to play on. The button numbers with the apostrophe are played on the inside row (C-row on a G/C box), button numbers with  no apostrophe are on the outside (G) row.

An explanation of the CADB tablature is here:
http://diato.org/exptab2.htm
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grape Ape

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »

Arty! That is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!

Grape Ape

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »

"all right," he said getting greedy, "any sign of tab for La Jeune Fille?"

Seriously, thanks for this.  I have been looking for the tab for La Discrete for months to no avail.  La Femme du Marbre looks to have been recently added, perhaps why I didn't find it before... that is my new favorite by Delicq.

Grape Ape

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2016, 01:25:12 PM »

His music just has something both haunting and upfront and HONEST about it.  Simple yet complex, I really think the word Honest best describes how I feel about his compositions.  Every tune I have heard from him speaks to me- and even though I know there are others who feel the same, I can't help but feel he wrote each tune just for me.  The precision and the steady as she goes way of playing is in my book without rival.  He takes his time with each tune, making sure every note gets its due.  He has become the soundtrack to my life as it is at this stage.  Not sure I am making sense, more coffee may be in order...

JM

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 01:45:16 PM »

Thanks Arty!

JM

arty

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »

arty

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2016, 03:17:49 PM »

This is written in CADB tablature, which does tell you which row to play on. The button numbers with the apostrophe are played on the inside row (C-row on a G/C box), button numbers with  no apostrophe are on the outside (G) row.

An explanation of the CADB tablature is here:
http://diato.org/exptab2.htm
[/quote]

Thank you Steve - I had no idea about the apostrophe because I don't use Tabs, so I have never had the need to know.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal