- 12 (13.6%)
Enrico
- 13 (14.8%)
En Avant Blonde
- 31 (35.2%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Voting closed: January 01, 2015, 12:15:58 AM

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for January 2015  (Read 9251 times)

Jules0654

• Regular debater
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for January 2015
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »

En avant blonde ....  :-\
nooooooo  .... :'(     :  it has been so much played roundhere : we are a bit fed up with that tune ...

En avant blonde ....   (:)
Yesssssssss  ....  ;D     :  it has not been so much played round here : we are a bit in love with that tune ...    ;)

However I've never heard the tune before and totally LOVE IT !!
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 12:11:35 PM »

I haven't rushed off to try and learn it yet like I have with some of the leveret stuff.

Talking of which, Blew Bell Hornpipe for a future ToTM?
(well, I'm learning it anyway...)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

robotmay

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 10:32:19 PM »

I haven't rushed off to try and learn it yet like I have with some of the leveret stuff.

Talking of which, Blew Bell Hornpipe for a future ToTM?
(well, I'm learning it anyway...)

I'd be game for that one, then I could team it up with Sylvia's Serenade (as I already know that)!

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2014, 05:04:47 AM »

Well you could try to play the first part legato and change to staccato for the second part.
In my band we used to pair it with Flatworld as a third and fourth part.

CherzeduKbec

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 05:21:06 AM »

Well you could try to play the first part legato and change to staccato for the second part.
Very interesting. I'll give it a try.

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 06:44:13 AM »

Very interesting. I'll give it a try.
Here is En Avant Blonde / Flatworld: https://soundcloud.com/ccr-irish-trad/avant
The free reed instrument is a chromatic button accordion, I just play guitar accompaniment.

Thomas

CherzeduKbec

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 07:16:48 AM »

Here is En Avant Blonde / Flatworld: https://soundcloud.com/ccr-irish-trad/avant
The free reed instrument is a chromatic button accordion, I just play guitar accompaniment.
Very, very nice arrangement.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2014, 08:29:38 AM »

My respects to those who like this tune, but I expect more from a tune of the month.
You've not been here very long, so perhaps you can be forgiven for not noticing that this forum is a favourite with melodeon players of all abilities. Some are well known, much respected, professional musicians, others are complete beginners; and there is a very broad and well-populated spectrum in between.

The beginners among us are sometimes very brave and take part in Tune of the Month. What you might find lacking as a challenge in TotM is, to them, verging on the terrifying but it doesn't stop them having a go at it and feeling good about themselves for having managed what is, in effect, a public performance. It brings their playing on no end - as a melodeon teacher I can verify this.

So - if you want a TotM to stretch you and showcase your own talents, I suggest you wait a bit. Like Sheffield buses, one will come along dreckly. But in the meantime please be patient and allow those less experienced a chance to build their confidence by tackling something which to them is achievable.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »

You've not been here very long, so perhaps you can be forgiven for not noticing that this forum is a favourite with melodeon players of all abilities. Some are well known, much respected, professional musicians, others are complete beginners; and there is a very broad and well-populated spectrum in between.

The beginners among us are sometimes very brave and take part in Tune of the Month. What you might find lacking as a challenge in TotM is, to them, verging on the terrifying but it doesn't stop them having a go at it and feeling good about themselves for having managed what is, in effect, a public performance. It brings their playing on no end - as a melodeon teacher I can verify this.

So - if you want a TotM to stretch you and showcase your own talents, I suggest you wait a bit. Like Sheffield buses, one will come along dreckly. But in the meantime please be patient and allow those less experienced a chance to build their confidence by tackling something which to them is achievable.

+1 for Steve's comments plus the Theme of the Month will give you much wider range to have a more challenging tune/arrangement/etc.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2014, 08:41:41 AM »

Also a simple tune like En Avant Blonde offers different challenges to good players - such as producing a performance that is flawless under the closest scrutiny, or embellishing it with an imaginative arrangement.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

george garside

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »

I totally  agree with Steve's & Lesters  comments  re TOM which should be doable to some extent by  a wide range of forum members. I see TOM   way of  encouraging and sharing progress  without  expectations of 'concert standard' renditions which could /would put many off having a go.

Make it to difficult,  challenging or whatever  and  many just won't  participate.

This does not in any way prevent  ''experts'' contributing  flawless /embellished  renditions  , not to show off, but as a sort of aiming point for  those  in the earlier stages of the journey to perfection!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »

I agree 100% that ToTM should include tunes accessible to all levels of competence and experience. I just don't find the particular tune that sparked this discussion interesting or attractive. Not that I vote very often - generally I just don't have the time to prepare and record a suitable performance.  If I were to vote this month it would be for Haste To The Wedding.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

TomBom

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2014, 03:28:01 PM »

I am just thinking:
starting slow with En Avant Blonde and speeding up with Haste to the Wedding ...
What about that set of tunes?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »

I am just thinking:
starting slow with En Avant Blonde and speeding up with Haste to the Wedding ...
What about that set of tunes?
Well - nothing to stop you doing it; try it and see if it works. But to my mind the two tunes don't pair particularly well. EAB is a waltz in E minor and HttW is a jig in D major and the resulting join wouldn't be particularly smooth.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »

Like Sheffield buses, one will come along dreckly. But in the meantime please be patient and allow those less experienced a chance to build their confidence by tackling something which to them is achievable.

Be fair...it's a long way from Devon......but seriously, well said Steve...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 08:44:35 PM »

Was both inking the same Baz .... 'Eventually' is more precise, but as for the rest, well said Steve.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

GBbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »

When I learned it, I was told that En Avant Blond is a Cajun tune.

Not sure where the third part comes from, as I've always heard it played as a 32 bar tune, but Dominique Gravouille has a 48 bar version of it on his web site. I'm sure someone will be able to translate it into abc, but those who can read music will find it here:

http://www.organetto.info/archivio/file/0004_domi.pdf

And yes, it is an easy tune. More than that: it's one of the easiest tunes you can play cross-row style on a two row box, actually one of the tunes that a teacher here could chose to make an absolute beginner break the ice with the instrument. Yet, as a teacher, when the absolute beginners had acquired some skills, this was one of my favourite "let's practice plying triplets" tunes...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »

When I learned it, I was told that En Avant Blond is a Cajun tune.

Not sure where the third part comes from, as I've always heard it played as a 32 bar tune, but Dominique Gravouille has a 48 bar version of it on his web site. I'm sure someone will be able to translate it into abc, but those who can read music will find it here:

http://www.organetto.info/archivio/file/0004_domi.pdf

And yes, it is an easy tune. More than that: it's one of the easiest tunes you can play cross-row style on a two row box, actually one of the tunes that a teacher here could chose to make an absolute beginner break the ice with the instrument. Yet, as a teacher, when the absolute beginners had acquired some skills, this was one of my favourite "let's practice plying triplets" tunes...

X:070
T:En Avant Blonde
M:3/4
R:
K:Em
E2 G2 A2|B4 B2|D2 F2 G2|A4 A2|
A2 G2 F2|E4 G2|F4 D2|E6:||
B2 BAGA|B2 G2 E2|A2 AGFG|A2 F2 D2|
B2 BAGA|B2 G2 E2|A2 F2 D2|E6:||
B4 B2|c4 B2|A4 B2|E6|
E2 G2 E2|F6|1F2 A2 d2|B6:|2F2 A2 F2|E6||

Jules0654

• Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 12:04:19 AM »

I've been playing nearly three years but have only recently started to cross row properly and although yes, a simple tune, En Avante Blonde has already taught me a few tips for crossrowing in other tunes that should have been obvious (but weren't!!)
Pokerwork x 2, Erica, Liliput, Saltarelle Berry, Corona, Serenellini Dona, Hohner C/F and "something german".....becoming MAD?

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:47 AM »

Neck and neck as they run to the winning post...What happens if there is a tie?

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal