Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Cajun accordions" discussion?  (Read 9443 times)

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
"Cajun accordions" discussion?
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:52:30 PM »

Hi,
I've become aware that the "Cajun accordion" forum on Bravenet is looking for a new home.  Rather than contribute to the endless splintering of accordion forums on the web, would it be possible for us to offer a "Discussion" rubric for "Cajun accordions"? It would boost our membership as well as give the Cajuns a greatly improved forum format.
-Andy

Andrel

• Regular debater
Re: "Cajun accordions" discussion?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »

I agree. It'd be a great addition to this site. I am fairly certain there's quite a few of us out there. Lurking Cajun music lovers, that is.
Bertrand Gaillard D/C#, Acadian in C, Castagnari Ciacy
B/C, Castagnari Sharon D/C#

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »

"Lache pas la patate" and other Cajun yells!
Good idea, I do reckon - especially as Theo has reached his 1000th birthday..... fresh blood, yum!  :||:
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

TomB-R

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 11:23:55 PM »

There was a young man from Peru,
Who found a dead mouse in his stew,
Said the waiter "Don't shout,
And wave it about,
Or the others will ask for one too!"

;D

Tom

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »

Well of course any box players are welcome here so all you cajun players are equally welcome
Hi,
 would it be possible for us to offer a "Discussion" rubric for "Cajun accordions"?

Andy, were you thinking that there would be a separate section within this forum for the Cajuns?  I'd need convincing that was a good idea. I'm not against, just need convincing!  That might lead to calls for separate sections for English, Scottish, French, Irish etc etc.   Again I'm not necessarily against this but at present I don't see any need for this kind of subdivision, but again I'm open to being sold the idea.

Could you post a link to the cajun forum, I can't find it.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:37:52 AM »

Thanks

They seem to be linked with Big Nick's website.  If they want to keep the link with Big Nick he could install the same forum software that we use on his server.  Its free, see links at the foot of the page to SMF.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

TomB-R

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »

Over at mandolincafe.com (wonderful site) they have sections similar to "ours" but also musical genre-specific sections.  I suspect they have a relatively huge active membership.  A lot of the fun goes out of a discussion forum when it doesn't keep moving and you call by and there are no new posts.  I suspect a lot of people have interest in more than one style and even with a "show new posts" option, it's easy to miss something when the sections become too fragmented. On the other hand, if one genre was much more active than others a seperate section would help prevent the "minorities" from being swamped.
Tom

HallelujahAl

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 04:39:06 PM »

I would just like to say that I've been introduced to some great music that I would never have encountered other than by meeting and discussing melodeon related things with all you folk out there. I think that the cross-pollination of music and ideas is invaluable, and would/could possibly be threatened by separate sections.

That's my t'uppence worth (:)
AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »

I would just like to say that I've been introduced to some great music that I would never have encountered other than by meeting and discussing melodeon related things with all you folk out there. I think that the cross-pollination of music and ideas is invaluable, and would/could possibly be threatened by separate sections.

AL

There's a certain amount of truth in that actually. The fact that the fora are not segregated means that there is a much broader mix of ideas and music between different sub-genres, which probably should be prioritised over the ease of accessing those items which one is specifically interested in, for a forum of this size at least.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:34:14 AM »

AL
There's a certain amount of truth in that actually. The fact that the fora are not segregated means that there is a much broader mix of ideas and music between different sub-genres, which probably should be prioritised over the ease of accessing those items which one is specifically interested in, for a forum of this size at least.

Indeed. Melodeon.net is one of those rare places where quint and semitone players actually talk to each other!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »

AL

Indeed. Melodeon.net is one of those rare places where quint and semitone players actually talk to each other!

As opposed to throw things at each other...
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

triskel

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 12:26:24 PM »

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 12:33:18 PM »

I am all for keeping the fora and fauna mixed up
I don't get 'jigs'

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 07:43:51 PM »

Perhaps those of you who are members of the Cajun board could post something there to the effect that Cajun players are welcome to join and post over here.  We could see how that works. If the volume of discussion gets too large then we could create a separate Cajun area.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 08:42:51 PM »

Off topic, but related to Cajun accordions, I have just listened again to a CD by Wayne Toups. I had forgotten how good it is! To my mind, he is one of the best Cajun musicians around.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 09:05:37 PM »

For what it's worth, the Cajun accordion forum _IS_ already a separate discussion, generating a number of posts that would dwarf our "general" forum topic.  I also don't think that very many of the chaps over there would be tempted to join the melodeon.net forum unless there was a separate topic/area -- after all, they've had that opportunity for years and there are only a handful of members that are on both forums.  Those of us who frequent both forums are mostly people who play a variety of styles, not the type of player who strictly pursues a single style.  So I'm not very optimistic that they would join here at all unless we offer a separate rubric.
-Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal