Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unfaithful to C#  (Read 3759 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
Unfaithful to C#
« on: April 20, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »

Has anybody got the abc to Tiger Rag?  :o I'm trying to learn it, but although I've got the main themes  :||: , I can't remember all the "joining bits". Much gratitude is available!  (:)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
Re: Unfaithful to C#
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:04 PM »

No, I'm afraid they are two different tunes. Chinese Breakdown is in the folk tradition, whereas Tiger Rag came out of New Orleans in the 'teens of the 20th Century, being first recorded by the Original Dixieland Jass Band in (from memory) either 1918 or 1917. It's a jazz standard - Johnny Handle has recorded a version on piano and most Trad Jazz Bands played it at one time or another. Thanks for trying though - I appreciate it.

I ought to have given more information with my first request, I think, but I was so astounded at getting nothing from JC's Tune finder  :o , that I scuttered (nice word that, I wonder what it means?) here for protection against the cruel world, to a place where men are real men, where women are real women and small furry creatures from the Crab Nebula are real small furry creatures from the Crab Nebula (Copyright, Estate of the late Saint Douglas Adams) - ie to the site where people are not afraid to admit that they like playing jazz on the D/G!!  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »

Is this the right tune

http://www.hezzie.com/hhs/tigerrag.html

Found by using Google Image search

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »

1) jb - Yes indeed, I sit (very) corrrected! In my arrogance, I hadn't been able to imagine two tunes sharing a name. I do apologise.

2) Lester : Thank you. This is part of what I am looking for. With what I have I think I can reconstruct the full work now, especially if I consult Mr Morton's theory of how it came to be put together.

Thank you all again.

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:19 PM »

There is a fine treatise on finding tunes HERE.

OwenG

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:31:33 PM »

Does anyone have any other melodeon-friendly ragtime tunes they can recommend?

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Ragtime Annie?
I'm a Yorkie!

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 03:26:30 PM »

In Chippindales Cheery Chunes : Nigel Chippindale
available from Mally's here
you will find Rags:

Walking the Cake
Ragbag
That ain't no Accident

The last one was written for Roger Watson and as my memory recalls uses every button on 2 row D/G.
aka malodeon

ACE

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 07:02:09 AM »

The bishop of chesters jig can be played as the b o c's rag. I play it on the anglo, but I am sure somebody recorded it on the melodeon years ago. Might have been Pete and Chris Coe.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »

Does anyone have any other melodeon-friendly ragtime tunes they can recommend?
Tony Hall plays a modified ("The proper third part was too difficult for me so I bluffed it!") Minneola Rag on his latest cd. Not sure whether that implies that it's 'melodeon-friendly' though.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 11:20:21 AM »

Search for Winifred Atwell, one of the all time greats at ragtime.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 12:30:27 PM »

that reminded me of Russ Conway, I have played "sidesaddle" at sessions once of twice, but have the usual trouble remembering it - anyone got the notes or ABC for it?  It really dgoes well on a melodeon i seem to recall. Not sure it really ragtime though - probably not.

Ps Sorry to hijack the thread.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »

Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal