Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago Irish-American accordions  (Read 19296 times)

triskel

Re: Chicago Irish-American accordions
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »

I did say to Stephen that if it were mine, I would want the Paolo Soprani name on it.
He disagreed and he certainly made a good point!

Glad you liked it Tom! (Though I should maybe clarify to people that, though it was in the shop at the time, it was there for my own enjoyment and not for sale.)

It's nice to know that these did indeed come from Paolo Soprani (seeing that two of them still had Paolo Soprani wrapping paper), but (judging by catalogue illustrations of other models) they were originally made specially for Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. to put their own name onto - and I rather like the "unbranded" look (indeed I'm somebody who doesn't go for "designer label" clothes etc.  ;)), whilst I think it's less likely to get stolen if it doesn't have a fancy tag on it...

brazilian.BOX

• Respected Sage
  • youtube search: 8 baixos
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 01:48:49 AM »

Personally, I don't like the one row models. But THIS presented here. I recognize that, it's really a CLASSIC. I wouldn't buy, cause I'm always observing also the classics obviously, but in 2 or 3 rows. Currently pursuiting my debut in the 12bass world. (And they are always 2 rows and ahead).
But this model, repeating is really respected and desired.  :||:
The Brazilian chromatic tuning: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwLF1tH3q5Y

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 02:32:28 AM »

I did say to Stephen that if it were mine, I would want the Paolo Soprani name on it.
He disagreed and he certainly made a good point!

I rather like the "unbranded" look

don't judge the book by it's cover.
although it looks great! and sounds even better which is what matters.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

pgroff

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 05:34:16 PM »

Here's another Paolo Soprani that was re-branded and sold by the Italian Accordion Manufacturing Co. in Chicago. This one is a 4 voice (LMMM) G/C 12 bass box with couplers to take out the L reed. We've discussed this general type before. *

In fact, I had an example of exactly the same model with the original Paolo Soprani metal logo. (on right in second photo attached). The IAMC example shown in the first photo may still have an original PS logo under the IAMC badge, or maybe not - since we've seen some other boxes that never had the PS badge.

But, in addition to its identical construction, this IAMC box still has "Paolo Soprani" labeling - on all of the original reed leathers, as was the case for the previous example I had!

PG

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,12335.msg151814.html#msg151814

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:21:55 PM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2017, 08:46:51 PM »

Here's a video of John Williams playing what looks very like an example of the last IAMC 12 bass Paolo, converted to a flat keyboard:

https://www.facebook.com/ciarank1/videos/10154515943474125/

triskel

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »

I've previously posted the catalogue listing of "Irish Accordions" available from Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. in Chicago in the mid-1950s:

The single-row model illustrated thereon evidently being No. 117 on the list, but I now have illustrations of three more models from an IAMC "WAREHOUSE CLEARANCE SALE on Selected New - Display Models - Used Reconditioned Accordions and Concertinas" catalogue that I spotted amongst a "job-lot" of accordion ephemera on American eBay:

No. 229 on the "Sale" list is evidently No. 119 from the "Irish Accordions" one - the same single-row Paolo Soprani "pepperpot grille" model that I have in black, and hickory-wind bought in both red and black, only with the IAMC badging that ours had yet to be given.

Whilst No. 230 on the "Sale" list is No. 116, and No. 232 is a (slightly older?) "Custom Built to Order" 2-row, 4-voice, 6-bass model that's not on the "Irish Accordions" list.

triskel

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2018, 09:48:28 AM »

P.S. And No. 118 would have been like this D/C# example;

only with an IAMC badge instead of a Paolo Soprani one.

pgroff

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2018, 11:46:20 AM »

Hi triskel,

Thanks for sharing those catalog listings! A couple of that last model have turned up over the years, currently owned by players / collectors. Still looking for one myself.

PG

triskel

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2018, 11:08:52 PM »

A couple of that last model have turned up over the years, currently owned by players / collectors. Still looking for one myself.

Well do me a favour will you? Once you've found yourself one, keep a lookout for another one, for me... ;)

Edited to add: I was kinda hoping garagemagic might find a few new ones, when he was clearing out the back of that storeroom... 8)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2018, 12:19:19 AM »

Here's a IAMC
Same body shape but in a 2.5 row, with seven treble switches so it must have a few reed banks?
Really nice shape by the looks of it and cheap too at $350
CF.. I'd guess seller says key of C.

If any one is interested PM me and I'll send you the link.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2018, 02:02:37 AM »

Here's a IAMC
Same body shape but in a 2.5 row, with seven treble switches so it must have a few reed banks?

That'll be a No. 54 then, a nice box I'm sure, but I'd much rather have the No. 57 beside it...  ;)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »

Me too !! if it was I'd be all over it, it would look good next to my one row (:)

triskel

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2018, 02:25:48 AM »

Reminds me though, I've got a No. 58 in G/C waiting for me to collect in Sweden... ;D

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »

Here's a IAMC
Really nice shape by the looks of it and cheap too at $350
CF.. I'd guess seller says key of C.

If any one is interested PM me and I'll send you the link.

Where is this located? I've sent you a PM.

Scott
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »

I've previously posted the catalogue listing of "Irish Accordions" available from Italian Accordion Mfg. Co. in Chicago in the mid-1950s:

The single-row model illustrated thereon evidently being No. 117 on the list, but I now have illustrations of three more models from an IAMC "WAREHOUSE CLEARANCE SALE on Selected New - Display Models - Used Reconditioned Accordions and Concertinas" catalogue that I spotted amongst a "job-lot" of accordion ephemera on American eBay:

No. 229 on the "Sale" list is evidently No. 119 from the "Irish Accordions" one - the same single-row Paolo Soprani "pepperpot grille" model that I have in black, and hickory-wind bought in both red and black, only with the IAMC badging that ours had yet to be given.

Whilst No. 230 on the "Sale" list is No. 116, and No. 232 is a (slightly older?) "Custom Built to Order" 2-row, 4-voice, 6-bass model that's not on the "Irish Accordions" list.

I have what I believe to be a few Settimio Sopranis that looks like #228 in your catalog. #383 is GC 3 voice 12 bass. #270 is BbEb 3 voice 12 bass.

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2018, 02:57:04 PM »

So are you saying that your, my one row "pepperpot grille" were imported by IAMC and would have ended up with their label? Or did other companies import them also.

When did this company go out of business? Or did they , there's another company with a similar name but I don't if that's it. I think it's a different one.

triskel

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 03:41:22 PM »

So are you saying that your, my one row "pepperpot grille" were imported by IAMC and would have ended up with their label? Or did other companies import them also.

Yes, the four single-row ones that turned up in "new old-stock" condition, and all the other musical instruments the same guy has been selling over the past couple of years, came from the old IAMC business, and whatever it was called subsequently.

Other people also sold the 2-row "pepperpots", but AFAIK only IAMC imported the 1-row ones - which may have been made especially for them.

When did this company go out of business? Or did they , there's another company with a similar name but I don't if that's it. I think it's a different one.

The post-war piano accordion boom very noticeably stalled in the mid 1950s (you can see it in the production/export figures of the Italian factories) as the guitar/groups started to take over bigtime in popular music, so businesses like IAMC, and also the likes of Bell's in London, found they needed to cater for the new demands, as did accordion magazines that also started to cater for guitar players, and Italian accordion makers started to build organs and guitars...

I presume the other company with a similar name is Italo-American Accordion Manufacturing Company, also Chicago? And yes, they were always a rival firm.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2018, 06:44:51 AM »

I ve a beaver brand D/D# with two glued nicks like the one showed here in the first post ..
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, SabĂ­an, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2018, 02:12:25 PM »

Yes, the four single-row ones that turned up in "new old-stock" condition, and all the other musical instruments the same guy has been selling over the past couple of years, came from the old IAMC business, and whatever it was called subsequently.

Other people also sold the 2-row "pepperpots", but AFAIK only IAMC imported the 1-row ones - which may have been made especially for them.

The post-war piano accordion boom very noticeably stalled in the mid 1950s (you can see it in the production/export figures of the Italian factories) as the guitar/groups started to take over bigtime in popular music, so businesses like IAMC, and also the likes of Bell's in London, found they needed to cater for the new demands, as did accordion magazines that also started to cater for guitar players, and Italian accordion makers started to build organs and guitars...

I presume the other company with a similar name is Italo-American Accordion Manufacturing Company, also Chicago? And yes, they were always a rival firm.
Thanks triskel and apologies for I see now that the info was already provided at the beginning of this thread.

triskel

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2018, 11:42:44 PM »

I have what I believe to be a few Settimio Sopranis that looks like #228 in your catalog. #383 is GC 3 voice 12 bass. #270 is BbEb 3 voice 12 bass.

BellingersButtonBoxes.com

I'd reckon, from the grille design and the shape of the keyboard ends, the second, bluer, one is most-likely a Ficosecco Scott.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal