Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicago Irish-American accordions  (Read 19297 times)

triskel

Re: Chicago Irish-American accordions
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »

I have what I believe to be a few Settimio Sopranis that looks like #228 in your catalog. #383 is GC 3 voice 12 bass. #270 is BbEb 3 voice 12 bass.

BellingersButtonBoxes.com

I'd reckon, from the grille design and the shape of the keyboard ends, the second, bluer, one is most-likely a Ficosecco Scott.

Compare it, especially the grille (sometimes they used the lyre motif in the grille, other times they didn't, and on this one it's inlaid into the front of the instrument instead) and keyboard ends, with this 23/8, flat keyboard, Pasquale Ficosecco of similar vintage that I've just bought:

pgroff

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2022, 03:34:05 PM »

Hi triskel,

Thanks for sharing those catalog listings! A couple of that last model have turned up over the years, currently owned by players / collectors. Still looking for one myself.

PG

Search of 3 decades rewarded. Here are a model 119 (D) and a model 118 (DC#, LMMM), based on the numbering from Stephen's IAMC catalog.  Both are unlabeled Paolo Sopranis. Thanks to Scott Bellinger for trading me the 119 some years ago.

The 118 I've been searching since seeing a couple very similar ones in the mid 1990s. This example is nearly unplayed and in great shape except for broken bellows straps, slightly tight action at a couple of the bearings (no dirt or corrosion though) and needing just a couple wax cracks sealed. Perfect reeds in factory tuning. Love the MMM voicing, so crisp with the wooden soundboard, but the LMMM is great too.

PG
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 06:04:35 PM by pgroff »

mselic

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2022, 06:56:18 PM »

Sound clip, sound clip, please!  :D

Congrats on a wonderful find, Paul!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal