Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: how should you practice???  (Read 11189 times)

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
Re: how should you practice???
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »

This'll get 'em going ALERT!!!!!

You don't need to play scales - just play tunes - it's more fun, more economical, and adds constantly to your reportoire!

>:E
AL
Great response Al! I think I'll run with this one. (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »

You don't need to play scales - just play tunes - it's more fun, more economical, and adds constantly to your reportoire!

AL

Not one to agrue with a member of the Army especially one armed with a banjo  (:) but I believe learning scales other than the up and down the rows versions is a positive boon as your fingers will learn where the cross row possibilities are. And when you have done that learn tunes as well  ;D

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2009, 10:10:46 AM »

Actually this is why I am an average clarinet player and a reasonable piano player, because it takes much less effort to open the lid of a piano than it does to set up a clarinet...

Also the reason why I am a very average hurdy-gurdy player and reasonable melodeon player!

AL

You need to play scales up and down the row to start with just to learn where the notes are, but playing tunes is better for learning their patterns and shapes. The same is true for learning to play in odd keys.

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

Matt Langley

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »

I always start with a few scales just as a warm up really. 

What I have also found really useful is 'bits' of scales and arpeggios (I'm sure I got this idea from another post on the forum but I can't remember who suggested it).

E.g. GABG, ABCA, BCDB, CDEC etc. etc. 

Try playing these on one row and then across the rows if you can so you are only pushing or pulling all three notes.  Little runs like this occur in tunes all the time (unlike complete scales) so they really help your tune playing straight away.

Matt

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2009, 12:22:48 PM »

This forum is a real inspiration - so many people keen to share their knowledge. Thanks to all of you. ;D ;D
I don't get 'jigs'

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2009, 02:11:36 PM »

When I practice scales I practice them up one row then on the push, going cross-rows and then on the pull. Lack of a push C and E and pull D gets rather irritating, unfortunately.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2009, 03:26:05 PM »

Depending on what you want to play its also useful to practice right hand chords.  You can play chords of D,G,C,Em,A,Am,Bm, all with one finger on the D/E button on the D row.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2009, 11:16:24 PM »

Definition. Chords: things organists play with one finger. (Dischords - things organists play with two fingers). Source? A mug in my kitchen cupboard.  ;)
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 12:12:38 AM »

Find a new tune that you really like, learn it, ...
..... when you spend the whole of Sunday afternoon playing one tune, but it's worth it. Probably...

... then I added basses and ornaments to the haunting tune 'Le Canal en Octobre' by Paris played by Dominique Riviere (the tune has been mentioned here, the Scottische) and been playing that one single tune soon almost two weeks. I have no plans to stop in a while.  (:)

(If someone is interested in this tune with Dominiques ornaments and basses I could post it in the tunes section, just let me know.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:15:33 AM by risto »
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »

when you spend the whole of Sunday afternoon playing one tune, but it's worth it. Probably...

I did that the other saturday..and ended up with my arms wanting to drop off....four whole hours  :o  I've really got to stop binge practicing.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »

when you spend the whole of Sunday afternoon playing one tune, but it's worth it. Probably...
I did that the other saturday..and ended up with my arms wanting to drop off....four whole hours  :o  I've really got to stop binge practicing.

Practising is like revising for examinations, it is more effective to break it up into several shorter sessions rather than one long one. It is also more enjoyable that way!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 11:58:11 PM »

Why?

Ian
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2009, 08:59:44 AM »

Why?

Ian
why what? Why did I binge practice or why should I stop doing it?

HallelujahAl

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 09:39:14 AM »

Look you guys really need to be careful - binge practicing every now and then is ok - but if it becomes a regular thing then you could very well find yourself being addicted.  And believe me going cold turkey is no fun !

;D
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »

Look you guys really need to be careful - binge practicing every now and then is ok - but if it becomes a regular thing then you could very well find yourself being addicted.  And believe me going cold turkey is no fun !

;D
AL
It started out as just filling up time between lunch and dinner (you know when the only thing on TV is repeats of 'whodunits')...now if there was only a saturday afternoon session locally...I'd have something to do.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2009, 11:25:56 AM »

It started out as just filling up time between lunch and dinner (you know when the only thing on TV is repeats of 'whodunits')...now if there was only a saturday afternoon session locally...I'd have something to do

See, its happening already - you start out binge practising and now you're talking about sessions already. I fear it's the rocky road to melodeon ruin for you ;)
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2009, 01:52:00 PM »

It started out as just filling up time between lunch and dinner (you know when the only thing on TV is repeats of 'whodunits')...now if there was only a saturday afternoon session locally...I'd have something to do
See, its happening already - you start out binge practising and now you're talking about sessions already. I fear it's the rocky road to melodeon ruin for you ;)
The session thing....is something I'm building up to as I think the thought of a session is petrifying..I need someone to drag me kicking and screaming to one...then I'll be perfectly fine about it next time.

As for the practicing....I've got the house to myself again on saturday.....so another super long practice is planned  ::) :|||:

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2009, 08:42:56 PM »

The session thing....is something I'm building up to as I think the thought of a session is petrifying..I need someone to drag me kicking and screaming to one...

Well, m'lud, you see the lady asked me to drag her kicking and screaming to a session. She particularly stressed the kicking and screaming. I was brought up to respect the wishes of ladies so, well, what could I do?... ;)  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2009, 01:25:51 PM »

The session thing....is something I'm building up to as I think the thought of a session is petrifying..I need someone to drag me kicking and screaming to one...

Well, m'lud, you see the lady asked me to drag her kicking and screaming to a session. She particularly stressed the kicking and screaming. I was brought up to respect the wishes of ladies so, well, what could I do?... ;)  >:E

Is that what the unmarked van outside is for? ;)

Keithypete.

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 02:35:06 PM »

How very true! I have thrown many a tepid cuppa down the sink after having spent too long playing once the tea has been left to brew. Having said that - it isn't always good practice. I tend to break things right down then re-construct them. Little and often is good, but if you don't spend time in the saddle you never will be able to ride! The most important point surely is to enjoy yourself.
Beltuna Sara II - B/C flavour.
Borsini - G,D,A.
Pokerwork B/C.
PRIMATONA IV, B/C.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal